PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes attacked my dog

mijinkal
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
My dog got tangled up with a few coyotes on Saturday and is pretty lucky (or tough) to have survived it. He's a 2 year old DK and I don't think he knew the coyotes were nasty f$#kers until it was too late.

My kids heard the dog screaming as well as a lot of coyotes yipping and barking in the woods by our house while I was inside doing some chores. We hear coyotes by our house almost daily, but the kids knew this one was different. Their first reaction was to run straight into the bushes to save our dog (they're only 8 and 9 years old, and pretty brave). Either the dog got himself free, or the kids scared the coyotes away. My dog was in the neighbor's property and couldn't find his way back through whatever hole in the fence he went in through, so I had to carry his blood soaked body over the fence. He had lost his collar in the battle and he was also clearly in shock. I had no clue how bad the injuries were because he was covered in mud. I brought him inside and gave him a bath and the water that ran off him instantly turned red (I'm colour blind so I had my freaked out wife confirm that the colour of the water was red, not brown from mud). I stopped counting the puncture wounds around his butt at 12 and he had a bad gash right behind his ear. The timing couldn't have been much worse as all of this happened just as guests were arriving for my son's birthday party. A few of the kids were pretty freaked out
I rushed off to the vet who is only a 5 minute drive away from me, and they saw him right away. The vet counted at least 15 puncture wounds around his butt, a few holes in his ears and at least 8 puncture wounds on his neck. He is very lucky to be alive as it's clear that they were going for the kill and had a good hold of him. The vet put a few staples in some of the large cuts, and gave him a lot of drugs. Thankfully he didn't have any serious injuries and he should be recovered in a couple weeks. He looks very sore right now.

I was pretty pissed off at the coyotes for doing this, but my dog did venture into the forest and could have found their den. I wanted to go after them right away, but I knew it's not an easy task. I'd have to talk to the neighbor about it first and figure out legalities of shooting near my house. That's if I could even get close enough to them.
When I got home yesterday, there were 2 coyotes behind my house near my chicken coop. They bolted as soon as they saw me. My yard is fully fenced, but there must be some holes that they can get in (and my dog out) that I will be fixing. Now I'm worried about the safety of my kids, my dog, and my chickens if the coyotes are coming in the yard. They were bold enough to attack a 65 lb dog in the middle of the day ... my kids weigh less than the dog.
These coyotes WILL be taken care of. I would like to explore all my legal options first, but I want them taken care of quickly. I have many ideas of how to deal with them, but maybe some of you can help. If anybody would like to come give me a hand or offer suggestions of how to deal with this quickly, shoot me a pm or just post here.

Cheers, Alan

000buck
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
KILL THEM..... KILL THEM ALL. ​ Damned vermin

pnbrock
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I also live in Langley and hear them yapping through the night. Every year they get braver have even had them check me and dog out while walking the streets by our house. They really need a cull before a kid is next.

ianwuzhere
05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Glad to hear all is ok, good luck on pruning down the buggerz!

Gumsehwah
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Happened here a few years back. Used a slingshot, but they pretty well owned the back of the yard. Now that I'm getting my PAL/FAC, Look out. I'm not going to just have to settle for bow range. :-/

Foxton Gundogs
05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
preditor call and a Xbow as stated kill them all.

swampthing
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
What kind of dog do you have. I cant figure out what DK is. I have heard stories of people walking their dogs in the wilds and coyotes following them. I have tried this but wasnt able to attract any coyotes. I would be tempted to take a 22 and try to thin one out. Anything messing with my dog doesnt sit well with me. I have been in fist fights over my dog.

jonz
05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
A .22 is quiet and should do the job.

NaStY
05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. You may very well have to hire a trapper depending on what part of the valley you live in. You may be able to use a bow as well. Check with your local sporting goods store and see......

Peter Pepper
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
.22 Cbees are very quite. Big treble fish-hooks (if there is no possibility of a stray pet dog in area) Explore your legal options...protect your family. Good luck,

Sasquatch
05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Glad to hear the dog made it ok. Good news is they are very resilient. I bet he's really learned to dislike coyotes after this tussle.

604redneck
05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
ya call them in some days it works well some days not so well use a bow or xbow i have got a few this year and shoot every one i see and so should everyone

shoot to kill
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Deutsch Kurzhaar?

Ry151
05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty sure the "livestock act" allows you to kill the coyotes no problem but the discharging of the firearm may be an issue if you live in town or city limits. If you dont have a bow this is an excellent reason to tell your wife you need one, lol

The Dude
05-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Get Livewire over from Burnaby to whack them with his bow! The local neighbourhood watch says he does it all the time! :D

mijinkal
05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Yes, DK is short for Deutsch Kurzhaar which is very similar to the more commonly known German Shorthaired Pointer.

You guys are right, this is a great way to get some funds from my wife go out and get a bow :) CBees will do the job too, and require less practice but she doesn't need to know that ;)
I'm thinking of taking a couple of my chickens, tying a rope around their feet and put them in the bush where I can see them. I'll put them far enough apart so they can't reach eachother. They'll make a lot of noise and will probably bring in any nearby coyotes. I already have a hollowed out tree stump picked out for a blind.
I'm coaching two baseball teams right now while trying to do home renos, so unfortunately I don't really have much spare time to get the job done quickly.

FirePower
05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the "livestock act" allows you to kill the coyotes no problem but the discharging of the firearm may be an issue if you live in town or city limits. If you dont have a bow this is an excellent reason to tell your wife you need one, lol

If you do not have a bow, I would suggest a cross bow. No learning curve, if you can shoot a rifle, then you can shoot a cross bow, no archery skills needed. The killing can begin right away.

Wild one
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
I would recommend talking to a trapper that is licensed to deal with problem animals as he will be a lot more effective and know what can be done legally. There is a very good trapper in your area that I know has done coyote work for the Langley airport already so he will know all the bylaws and who to deal with in that municipality. The only down side is his services will not be free

If you would like his contact info send me a PM

If you choose to deal with it on your own do your self a favour and contact your municipality for the bylaws first so you don't make a bad situation worse

mijinkal
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I just talked to a bylaw officer and have looked at the FVSAH map and I've got the green light to go get em! .

My dog just just had a checkup with the vet and he's doing well. All of his wounds are healing fine and he's going to have a few scars to show off to the ladies. He's still visibly sore, but he's getting the spring back in his step.
If any of you in the Valley are looking for a vet, I highly recommend Albatross Vet Clinic in South Langley. They're very affordable and give great care to the animals.

Singleshotneeded
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Tie up your dog and put some rat poison in meat, drop off a few of these "gifts" into those woods...

Gumsehwah
05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Looks like there is gonna be a little of this in your future.

http://youtu.be/xM9pO8fwqHY

Foxton Gundogs
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I just talked to a bylaw officer and have looked at the FVSAH map and I've got the green light to go get em! .

My dog just just had a checkup with the vet and he's doing well. All of his wounds are healing fine and he's going to have a few scars to show off to the ladies. He's still visibly sore, but he's getting the spring back in his step.
If any of you in the Valley are looking for a vet, I highly recommend Albatross Vet Clinic in South Langley. They're very affordable and give great care to the animals.

Why are you waisting time posting go on a killing spree. Bet Livewire would let you streach the hides on his fence:twisted:

Peter Pepper
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear your pup is gonna make it.

Moose63
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
One crossed SW Marine Drive this morning. Avoided traffic pretty well. Smart critters....

anglo-saxon
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I miss hunting those critters. I got pretty good with a howler in Alberta. Got so I could bring them in so I could take them right off my back deck. That little .243 NEF Handi Rifle was excellent for the job and those 58 gr V-Max went like snot of a whip!

Go get 'em!

eaglesj
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
.22 Cbees are very quite. Big treble fish-hooks (if there is no possibility of a stray pet dog in area) Explore your legal options...protect your family. Good luck,

Treble Hooks? That sounds really humane.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Good to hear your dog is getting better.

bubba350
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
tree stand and a bow works great. Just remember they are a predator and have amazing sight and smell. go get them!

Salmon Belly
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Singleshootneeded said: "Tie up your dog and put some rat poison in meat, drop off a few of these "gifts" into those woods... "

Rat poison? Disagree on this one. You lose control of the situation immediately and endanger any dog in the area. Just not a responsible way to deal with the 'yotes.

FirePower
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Singleshootneeded said: "Tie up your dog and put some rat poison in meat, drop off a few of these "gifts" into those woods... "

Rat poison? Disagree on this one. You lose control of the situation immediately and endanger any dog in the area. Just not a responsible way to deal with the 'yotes.

And cats and kids this is a very bad idea.

Ruger4
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
tie up dog , rat poison solution is a terrible irresponsible recommendation..............

Gumsehwah
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
tie up dog , rat poison solution is a terrible irresponsible recommendation..............

Agreed.

Its really not selective enough, and has a tendency to work its way DOWN the food chain as well as up. :-(

mijinkal
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't worry guys, I won't be poisoning any animals anytime soon.
I'm going to clear out all of the bush in the corner of the property so the coyotes won't have anywhere to hide and sneak in on my chickens. Hopefully this will discourage them from entering the property. I also have to find the hole that my dog escaped from, and the coyotes are entering with. There's too many damn blackberries to fight with!

I got the green light to enter the neighbors property if needed :)
... haven't found any of them yet. Maybe I should use my dog as bait. They seem to have liked him.

Jimsue
05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Shoot them all you want, but other packs will just move in. Put a hand full of Spick and Span in a plastic shopping bag, tie one every 10 yards or so around your property line, you wont be seeing any more coyotes.

brazen
08-16-2012, 04:33 AM
I moved into an edge of town house that turned out to be a major coyote thruway and additionally at least one had claimed the entire orchard field and trail area. I didn't know they were there till like our third night in the house the cat got nailed. Then we were serenaded nightly from right out back. No discharge allowed here and yes poison is bad bad idea. I have a little dog that I love very much and prefer not to confine. So, feeling very emotional, I set out increasing my perimeter, marking over, and burying their scats. I marked everywhere and kept it up for four seasons. I followed their trails and circled around and marked and marked (female, filled a squirt bottle...). When I have encountered the occasional one micing in the morning or night I run like hell at 'em uttering death threats and they always give it up and leave. I have been stalked and watched by one in particular and I think i can say he feels the tip of my pitchfork. Anyway they all backed off, they do not leave scats here anymore, although they do still pass through, I think they know i'm here and kinda ugly. Doesn't mean we're safe, however, i think i upped our odds one or two degrees. Fences and poisons and killling sprees are all useless with yotes. They are dogs, though, and they can be trained. That is my thinking and i still believe it. Walk and mark your perimeter and beyond with your dog, your mates, and mucho gusto, is my recommendation, and when you hear them out there, get out and defend your territory or otherwise they will just laugh at you. One caveat: no creature stands a CHANCE IN H### facing a PACK, UNLESS you can convince the pack leader to cave and retreat...so...try not to take on a hungry pack...

I was kinda glad to hear that wolves are in our region now, but that's not sound thinking since they end up the same way when they encroach on our space. However anything making life harder for yotes right now gets my vote. Even if wolves would just drive them closer into town probly, for a while.

Forgot to add if you have field and farm, llamas, donkeys, and livestock guarding dogs (akbash) all need a job and are good with coyotes.

curt
08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
sorry to say thats a stupid idea other critters or domestic animals could end up eating that and dying and that isnt right!! predator call and .22 is the best option poison the entire bush for a few coyotes is unreasonable.

Tie up your dog and put some rat poison in meat, drop off a few of these "gifts" into those woods...

curt
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Mijinkalat least realizes that he lives in an area that critters live it isnt always their fault they are trying to survive as well thats what animals do. If we always killed everything wild critter that caused us some grief would we be better off!? Lets remember we moved into their turf in most cases! I'm not saying I wouldnt be pissed if my dog got chewed up but I'd be willing to bet if he's a smart pup he wont put himself back in the position a second time!? Now sometimes a lead pill is the best answer but not always just sayin!
CM

Big Lew
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
People have been unsuccessful in trying to exterminate or radically reduce the coyote population all over North America for decades. All they've been successful in doing is making them smarter and wiser. They frequent an area because of an easy food source, and like rats, will always be associated with human habitat in towns and cities. Not only do they have cats and small dogs as an easy food supply, they have other critters also attracted to human foods and garbage. When I was working, I usually traveled about the lower mainland cities in the wee hours before daybreak. It was very common to see coyotes carrying a cat in it's mouth as it trotted back to it's den. Some people, like one of my neighbors, (despite repeatedly being asked not to) stupidly put out food for raccoons, and in doing so also attract skunk, possum, coyotes, rats and bears, and then wonder whatever happened to their 'little fluffy' the kitten. Take away their food source and you'll take away the problem.

wick07
08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Get a second blind going and I'll stop by with a .22. Just over the bridge and could use some practice right before sepember.

Bison Fats
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Neighbors dog became coyote food at the end of April and then our dog was chased half way down our driveway, so my son put his cross bow to use. We had been watching a group of 7 coyotes for weeks. A 13 year old boy came to our door one morning in tears claiming that the coyotes were "following him " on his way to school. I love watching and hearing the coyotes but it seems like there are way too many.

My son said he enjoyed the coyote hunt more than his moose hunt last year !

SavageShooter
08-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Mijinkil, do not seal up the holes in the fence when you find them. These are golden as this is your best chance to snare the willy coyote. Set a snare at each of these holes and set a catch on the fence so that they can be easily hung up on the fence during the day. At night, let the dog do his last nightly business and tie up or bring in, then set your snares for the night at the access points. Make sure you are the first one out in the morning to check. If nothing then hang back up on the fence until the next night.
Sooner or later you will get them.
SS

ruger#1
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Look up Taylor Mitchell, She was killed by a coywolf. Something that should be dealt with. Nat Geo had a hole hour about it. Coyotes and coywolves have cleaned up on the grouse. red fox and pheasants. What we have in the Fraser Valley are coydogs. Had two of them try to tear my fox terrier apart one year. I got there in time. I let my GSP's out at night. Call them in and sometimes three come running. My dogs and a coyote. My dogs are female. I use sub sonics. They work great. http://youtu.be/wJlyUxU3Wmg http://youtu.be/NqVE9qfg7yI

Stumpy
08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Your dog is a wimp, get a tougher dog.

mijinkal
08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess this thread has been revived. It's been a slow summer for coyote hunting. I've gone out a few times when I hear them howling nearby and have searched for their den nearby and haven't found it.
I haven't seen them on the property since I cleared out all the brush and fixed the fence. My main objective is to protect my family and animals and bagging a coyote is secondary. I still hear them every night, but I actually enjoy the sound as long as they're not trying to eat my kids or animals.
A couple weeks ago while going for a walk, I saw a lone coyote in the field 100 yards away from a house while the rest of the pack sat near the tree line. The coyote was trying to lure the neighbor's bull mastiff which I thought was extremely bold. As my daughter and I watched, I told her I told her that if that was near our house, the coyote would be dead by now. Less than 30 seconds later, a .22 shot rang out, the coyote did a jump and spin, then ran to the bushes.
About a week after that, I was driving down my street and saw a coyote ahead of me running along the road.... you can fill in the rest.

ruger, it's funny that you mention coydogs because I saw a 'dog' around the block running down the side of the road that could have been one. I sped up to get a close look at it and it looked damn close to a German Shepard. I was certain it was a German Shepard until I watched it run into the open field. If I hadn't seen it up close, I would swear it was a coyote by watching the way it acted in the field. I have seen this 'dog' once more in another field about one km away just sniffing in the grass and prancing around. Is it a coydog? possibly, but It looked too close to a German Shepard to ever take a shot at.
P.S. ruger#1 your links are broken.

ruger#1
08-17-2012, 10:00 AM
The links work, I just tried them. Seen a wolf in behind Deroche last year.