PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland beach casting

Aheny
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Is there anything to be caught in the salt water or tidal fraser this time of year from the shore or piers?

Cdn-Redneck
05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
You used to be able to catch sea run cutthroat near Cresent Beach, but that was many years ago since I have been out there. There was stairs at the end of 16 ave that would take you out to the beach and that is about the spot, we used to fish from a car topper out there. I think coho should be hitting the Cap soon, it is a very early run into there.

Bistchen
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Try fishing for Dollies and Cutthroats in the tidal Fraser. Bottom rig setup.

(Bull trout for you purists)

goatdancer
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Try fishing for Dollies and Cutthroats in the tidal Fraser. Bottom rig setup.

(Bull trout for you purists)

If they go to the ocean, they're Dollies.

Bistchen
05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
If they go to the ocean, they're Dollies.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Bull trout have larger flatter heads and the end of the mouth goes way past the centre of the pupil.

Dollies have smaller heads that do not dominate the body and the ends of their mouths end directly underneath the centre of the pupil of the eye.

Dollies are more oval in shape where bull trout are more slender like rainbows.
Dollies are found more in northern BC whereas Bull trout are found more in southern BC.

If you can prove me wrong, please, I encourage you to do so but from an informal source please.

pnbrock
05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Get attacked by a grizz and survive and I'll take u fishing.

bandit
05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I think coho should be hitting the Cap soon, it is a very early run into there.

Already coho getting caught in the Cap, my buddy limited on Sunday morning and was home by 6am! Usual story with that river though, you need to hit them right on first light or dont even bother as they will see so much gear during the day. Might be best picking a good tide and fishing the salt - no pressure from the hundreds of bait anglers that line the canyon.

scoutlt1
05-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Dolly Varden and Bull Trout have been a source of discussion for a long time. I've always felt that Dollies are more of the sea-run variety, while Bull trout were more inland fish.
Info depends on where you source the info. US has a bit of a different "version" than BC, and my feeling is that there has been so much breeding between species that anyone would be hard pressed to prove someone else wrong. I pretty much call them all Dollies and enjoy catching them wherever I find them!
I used to fish the mouth of the Cap a fair bit for Coho, and I did, and know of a few people that fished the beaches for sea-run Cutties lots along Ambleside....lots of fun. Definitely a different fishing experience with the Lion's Gate in view and freighters heading past rather than casting a fly on a quiet interior lake! lol
The Coho, as already stated, will be heading for the Capilano pretty soon.

Bistchen
05-08-2012, 05:07 PM
^ I call them both too. Sometimes Dollies and sometimes Bulls. Very similiar varities, but in the last 15 years people have been making a fuss about calling them Bull trout. Prior to this everyone called them Dolly Vardens.

I am fishing the tidal Fraser tonight after dinner. Ill let you know how I did.