PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best river to hunt big moose; new river boat

rafike
05-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Looking for advice on anyone with a river boat who has hunted some of the northern rivers for moose.
Pete

chilcotin hillbilly
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Stikine, is awesome. easy LEH draw, big water and for the most part and easy river to run.

rafike
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Where did you put in and how much river is there to run, l hear there are rapids.

bestofthewest
05-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Up the tuchodi

40incher
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Stikine. September 15th thru 30th.

Take your time through Jewel Rapids and map it out for the way down.

bridger
05-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Have a look at the Ketchika easy run good moose

Skull Hunter
05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
You can put in on the Stikine at the bridge on hwy 37. I've never been on the river but I know the area well enough. Do NOT head down river from the bridge unless you're on a suicide mission!

Rhyno
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
You can put in at Telegraph Creek and head down the Stikine, as mentioned make sure you retrace your GPS track from the trip down as the river braids. Been on the trip a few time...work not hunting, beauty scenery.

Hunter guy n his girl
07-26-2015, 11:31 PM
My boyfriend and I are heading up the Stakine river for a caribou and moose hunt on August 15/15. We are being flown in and dropped off on the spatsizi river. Then we going to make our way to the stakine river and get picked up by the staff at Tagotta lake resort when we reach hwy 37. We have a 10ft zodiac and I'm a little scared to travel the river as I hear people talk about "rapids" and I am not experienced or confident around water but my bf is. Does anybody happen to know the route we are taking? and could give some insight as how easy or hard this may be? We will only have oars as the motor will put us over weight on the plan ride.... Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thx

Buck
07-27-2015, 06:58 AM
My boyfriend and I are heading up the Stakine river for a caribou and moose hunt on August 15/15. We are being flown in and dropped off on the spatsizi river. Then we going to make our way to the stakine river and get picked up by the staff at Tagotta lake resort when we reach hwy 37. We have a 10ft zodiac and I'm a little scared to travel the river as I hear people talk about "rapids" and I am not experienced or confident around water but my bf is. Does anybody happen to know the route we are taking? and could give some insight as how easy or hard this may be? We will only have oars as the motor will put us over weight on the plan ride.... Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thx

This is an interesting canoe trip report of the trip you will be taking.http://www.rroctexas.com/Canoe/Spatsizi1998/Spat.htm

Hunter guy n his girl
07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Thank you :-) definitely helped me see what I am getting myself into

40incher
07-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Beggarly Canyon is the only real concern you will have going downstream with a raft. Jewel Rapids is basically a bunch of big boulders.

A moose, a caribou and two people in a 10 foot raft may make it a bit crowded though.

wiggy
07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
That's a small zodiac for 2. I use one for a couple floats. Works good for me alone.
Pack at least 1 inflatable with you for your game. You won't fit anything in it with 2 of you and gear

JAGRMEISTER
08-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Always wise to get experience before going out on the more remote rivers. What is easy to some has turned into nightmares for others, including lost boats and drowning. You will not be dealing with flat water(lakes) and should at the very least take someone with experience!

Cordillera
08-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Check out Laurel Archers book "northern bc canoe trips" for a detailed description of the river. Jewel can be easy unless the water is really high and then it gets pushy. Beggarly should be port aged unless you are very experienced as the line for canoes (or rafts) is fairly narrow on river left. If you can't find a copy, you can get it in Smithers at interior stationary on your way north.

If you have a ten foot zodiac you should pack very light and will need to debone your moose or you will be too heavy and very hard to maneuvre.

It is a long hike up to the plateau from the river for a caribou.....your best chance for an animal will be the first twenty km on the spatsizi below airplane lake. The moose habitat is unbelievable. Much of the stikine is not good summer habitat and I would not count on seeing any moose on the lower river at that time of year.

Enjoy. It is a beautiful place.

Brno22F
08-09-2015, 08:20 PM
No hands on experience with a jet boat or float trip for this old goat but I have numerous friends who have jet boated up the Stikine and many others who have floated the Dease. Both are very high probability for success.

Looking for advice on anyone with a river boat who has hunted some of the northern rivers for moose.
Pete

Sofa King
08-09-2015, 08:45 PM
That's a small zodiac for 2. I use one for a couple floats. Works good for me alone.
Pack at least 1 inflatable with you for your game. You won't fit anything in it with 2 of you and gear

this.
a 10' is very small.
I have a 9'6, a 14' zodiac, and a 12' RIB.
I consider a 10' a one person boat.

Rastrosus
08-26-2015, 10:41 PM
I hunted the Stikine in my jetboat last fall, lots of moose shot on the mainstem, but I would NOT raft through beggarly's canyon with a 10 foot raft with or without a moose in the boat. There's 8ft standing waves on river right (facing downstream) in the canyon that will make you shit your pants, and swallow your boat. There's big signs warning you to portage the canyon, but you better be ready to paddle like hell to get to shore and portage the site or they may be looking for your bodies downstream.

xfactor
08-26-2015, 11:06 PM
I hunted the Stikine in my jetboat last fall, lots of moose shot on the mainstem, but I would NOT raft through beggarly's canyon with a 10 foot raft with or without a moose in the boat. There's 8ft standing waves on river right (facing downstream) in the canyon that will make you shit your pants, and swallow your boat. There's big signs warning you to portage the canyon, but you better be ready to paddle like hell to get to shore and portage the site or they may be looking for your bodies downstream.

How big of a boat are you running, and care to post any pics of the river? I'm in a 21'-6 north river, wondering if it's too big for this?

Thanks for any insight.