PDA

View Full Version : moose hunting in the Smithers / Houston area

backcountryhunter
05-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Greetings to everyone, I am brand new to this forum - I have a hunt booked with Sonny's Guide Service out of Houston B.C. and was just wondering if there is anyone who knows him or his outfit or maybe has had some experience in that area - When you're a "Yank" coming up to your wonderful environment it is sometimes a "shot in the dark" as you have to go off what you are told (or hear) I LOVE British Columbia !! My Uncle lived at Clowholm Falls since '73, now retired in Sechelt, and I used to spend every bit of my vacation up at Clowholm with him for many years - Thank you in advance for any feedback !

pronghorn
05-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Hes a good guy as his territory is right up to burns lake area and seems to know his stuff I've seen some very nice animals they have taken

Ambush
05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
The area has lot's of moose. When is your trip planned for? Are you driving up?

Skull Hunter
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Well this reply was meant for another thread that seems to have disappeared.

40incher
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
If I was looking for an outfitter in the Southern Skeena area I would go with Tukii Lodge (Babine Lake Outfitters I believe). Well over 90% success for the last 20 years. They have the moose and hunt hard for their clients.

backcountryhunter
05-14-2012, 06:19 AM
thank you for all the great comments ! we aren't going on this one until 2014 due to other plans in the meantime - I'll check Babine Lake outfitters too

backcountryhunter
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Ambush - I know that I will be driving up when we do go, can't say what any of the other 3 will do then

Ambush
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Ambush - I know that I will be driving up when we do go, can't say what any of the other 3 will do then

I think you're wise to drive up. Babine Lake has good moose numbers, but don't expect Alaska size animals though. Try to book sometime between September 20 to October 10.

trigger
05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
sonny perkins is top notch. great moose area as well. ive hunted that area for 18 years. your not gonna shoot any records but it will be fun none the less. buy a wolf tag aswell. lots of them frikken moose killers in that area. you may have My old man as your guide. give him the gears if you do;P