PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe Hare near Kelowna.

NightOwl74
11-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Do any of you guys hunt Snowshoe Hare. There is a season over the winter in the Kelowna area and I am thinking of giving it a try. What tacticts are used? I'll be using my bow. I've seen the little buggers a few times on the side of the road and they look tasty. How do these things taste? Worth the effort?

7mmag
11-02-2006, 04:01 AM
They taste fantastic! I like to stand hunt any area with alot of fallen timber and small trees. They'll come into the open just befor dark, run out and stop. Don't make a move befor they put thier heads back down. If you find one good spot you can hunt it for years. Tracking them throw the snow is less productive but alot of fun too.

bighornbob
11-02-2006, 09:34 AM
The best way to hunt them is too road hunt. The areas I find them in are usually so thick that once they leave the road its next to impossible to see them let alone move through the thick stuff. The season opens up Aug. 1 and a few usually fall while scouting. Mornings and evenings are the best, but once the snow falls they are tough to see if you are driving. I have taken 2 when they were pure white at the beginning of december.

BHB

butcher
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I've killed lots with a bow and a pellet gun in the winter. Still hunt the edge of thick willow or plantations. Walk slow and look lots. They will sit real still at the base of bushes or under fallen trees. Look for eyeballs and ear tips, both of which are black. I would stay away from using field tips or broadheads on my arrows. You'll get a pass through and lose the arrow and the hare. Use rubber blunts. If you want to know what a rabbit in distress sounds like you're gonna find out when you stick an arrow in one.

NightOwl74
11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
My slow cooker is going to be working overtime this winter, thanks!

brotherjack
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
They're pretty good eatin'. Flavour like chicken (ie: whatever you season em with), and a texture more like dark turkey meat only more dense. Let em sit 24 hours before you eat em, and they tender up nice as the rigor mortis leaves the meat. I ate tough rabbits fresh killed for two years before I figured out that last trick. :)

eastkoot
11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Be berry berry quiet, fo we're hunting de wabbits.. Never shot one only petted them but hear they're good..

mark
11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Tons of em around the auto dealerships on the north end of town!

NightOwl74
11-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Ha! Just down the street off Enterprise!lol just off Spall where I live. Those little buggers go to bite if ya try to pet em.

LeverActionJunkie
11-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I think the MOST productive method would be to get yourself a beagle and get him hot on the trail.

phoenix
11-04-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm trying to train my little pitbull to chase them out for me, there's a ton on the hillsides behind the house and she loves chasing them. It's just getting her to chase them my way! I haven't figured out how to harvest them and not get her at the same time, she's usually right on their ass till they get in the thick low stuff then she quits. Short hair and thick rosebush can't be much fun!!
Kim

NightOwl74
11-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Kim let me know if you get one and if it was tasty k?

anvl
02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Tons of em around the auto dealerships on the north end of town!

Hi Mark,
I realize it's been a few years since you posted this message. However, i will give it a try anyway. I've never hunted the hares but would love to. I am going to Kelowna soon and would like to ask if it's ok with you to point me in the right direction where you've seen them or hunted them around Kelowna.
Thanks

bc sportsman
02-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Does anyone take an special precautions when hunting rabbit re parasites etc?

walks with deer
02-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Shoot em cook em eat em.

Gumsehwah
01-09-2017, 12:56 AM
Does anyone take any special precautions when hunting rabbit re: parasites etc?

Some people wear gloves when gutting them. I don't, but I DO watch out for any little "friends" thatight be lurking in the fur. I also check the liver for spots, and look for cysts.

Ronforca
01-09-2017, 06:43 AM
We used to hunt them with Beagles. They usually circle when being chased so listen to the dog and try to intercept the rabbit as he comes along in front of the dog.
They are very good in the stew pot with a Grouse. We used shot guns as a lot of people like 22s but if there are more than a couple and they are using semi autos it gats a bit dangerous.