PDA

View Full Version : Winter Harbour boat launch

dryflyguy57
05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Anyone tell me what tide you need to launch a boat at Winter Harbour , heard it was only a high tide show . Is there more than one there ? Any info . would be appreciated . Thanks .

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
high tide or mid tide only ..not sure if theres another one or not

Salty
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
The public launch is natural beach 4x4 a good plan. You're going to beat the crap out of your boat and trailer for a couple hour drive to get there, make sure your tires are up for a lot of shot rock. I'd launch in Coal Harbour or Pt Alice you're looking at a 20 mile run or so.

pescado
05-06-2012, 07:39 PM
2 launches there if you include the launch at the forestry campsite usable. High tide preferred and the only tide you can possibly use at the forestry launch. Not sure how big your boat is but if it's 20' plus you'll need the top 1/2 of the tide. Going bottom fishing??

Sitkaspruce
05-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Steve

I always launch at PA, its free, has a good launch and a place to tie up the boat. The biggest thing about the launch is the drive to PA, fun road.

The CH launch is an old whaling station and pull out for seaplanes, so you will need lots of water if you have a decent size boat (20'+).

As Salty said, the drive to WH can be hard on equipment and the boat and a long trip. 1.5 hours plus from Hardy and that is if you do not run into any trucks. If you do this route, stop by the WFP office and see if they are hauling out that way and let them know you are heading out to WH, they will let the truckers know.

Cheers

SS

dryflyguy57
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies . Heading out this friday for some bottom dwellers and bugs . You guys brought up a couple more questions though , either Port Alice or Coal harbour have a spot where we could park a couple of campers close to a dock for two nights ?

pescado
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd think of a way to get a or the campers out to WH and save a bunch of commuting time to the fishing grounds if it were me. You could always launch, leave the trailer and bring the truck and camper around to WH or stay at a place in the harbour. The Outpost may have off season rates now or you can give Larry a call @ Larry's Place and rent a trailer off him.

dryflyguy57
05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I think that is the plan for now Pescado . I have a radio in my truck and will stop by WFP to get the frequency and take it easy out to WH . Good tides coming up so were hoping ! Sure appreciate getting reliable info when called upon with this site .

Salty
05-07-2012, 08:26 AM
That's a good way to go dryfly. You'll see the radio frequencies posted starting about 30 km in off the pavement, (first part is public road). Or you could call ahead to WFP in Holberg or Pt McNeill if no one picks up in Holberg.

Sitkaspruce
05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Winter Harbour Cabins. Pretty cheap, $100/ night for 4 if it is offseason still. Right on the water with your own dock.

Wayne Ridley as well.

If you do drive, take it easy, the road is in rough shape right now, lots of potholes and such after the winter. Maintenance will be done, but usually it is just before the long weekend.

I will post the radio feq once I find my paper. It is WFP Holberg.....here they are 152.360 (RX and TX)

Good luck out there, might try to get out there on Saturday.

Cheers

SS

dryflyguy57
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for that SS . Good Luck on the weekend .