PDA

View Full Version : time to fire up the smoker

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/meat3.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/meat21.jpg

just finished the dry rub..let soak till tuesday morning 5am ..ill load em into the smoker

bearhunter338-06
05-06-2012, 04:10 PM
looks good what is it lol. What do you use for a dry rub.

BiG Boar
05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
I really should experiment more with my smoker. So far its only sausage, pepperoni, and smoked fish. Take pics of the process. Dave

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
looks good what is it lol. What do you use for a dry rub.

pork ribs ..on sale at save on right now ..got six large full racks foe 18 bucks....i also do my moose and deer ribs the same way but im all out .. the dry rub is from wallmart ,its acually a hickory jerky cure ,but i add a shit load more spices ...it takes almost 18 hours of smoke time for the thicker ones ...finished product looks just like this

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG070.jpg

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I really should experiment more with my smoker. So far its only sausage, pepperoni, and smoked fish. Take pics of the process. Dave

what type of smoker you got dave

hawkeye
05-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Mmmm, ribs, now I have to go out and get some.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Looks like good eating.

Sitkaspruce
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Just finished up a rack tonight for dinner. Dry rub of Paperika, onion, garlic, brown sugar, cayanne, mustard and salt/pepper, left on for 24 hours then smoked in the Bradley for 7 hours at 200-225 w/Crown Royal pucks....awesome!!!!

Have done duck, chicken, smokies, pepperoni, brats, summers, fish, pulled pork and ribs. Want to do some brisket next.

Cheers

SS

The Dude
05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Cool, jeff, 3 bucks a slab? great score! keep us posted

huntcoop
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
They precooked at all or just spice and left to cure? What is the approx. time in the smoker? Do you guys think a Big Chief would work?

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 08:38 PM
They precooked at all or just spice and left to cure? What is the approx. time in the smoker? Do you guys think a Big Chief would work?

no there not pre cooked ..and hell ya a big chief will work fine....just takes a long time ,,the thin flanks are done in about 12 hours and the thicker ones up to 18 hours ,,and thats in a big chief ...i only fill the chips pot 4 or 5 times ,make sure i dont over smok em ..

huntcoop
05-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Jeff those look damn tasty, my wife loves ribs, gotta give it a whirl. Guys, post rub or marinade recipes.

r106
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking of fireing up the bradley this week. I was thinking pulled pork but after seeing this it's been awhile since I've done some ribs. hmm tough decisions...

12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory. A 7-8 lb pork butt usually takes me about 12-18 hours also @220 with 4 hours of hickory. A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke. Thats what I do in the fall/winter

A good method for ribs for some newbs that might be reading this is 3-2-1 method ( google it)

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
what i use is the walmart jerky cure ..works and tastes awsome they have a few different flavores ..hickory , pepper ,original..there all good ..youll find it in the hunting section buy were they sell the smokers ..cure for over 24 hours ,,they recomend 24hrs for jerky ,so ribs are alot thicker so longer is better ..i also sprinkle garlic and pepper over them ...and your right there ****ing delicous ....

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking of fireing up the bradley this week. I was thinking pulled pork but after seeing this it's been awhile since I've done some ribs. hmm tough decisions...

12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory. A 7-8 lb pork butt usually takes me about 12-18 hours also @220 with 4 hours of hickory. A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke. Thats what I do in the fall/winter

A good method for ribs for some newbs that might be reading this is 3-2-1 method ( google it)

i think im lucky to get to 150 in my little chief ,,,one time i tried doing it faster by smoking them in the chief for 2 or 3 hours then putting them in the oven ,,they werent the same ,,i found if you just be patient and wait the 14 to 18 hours they taste alot better ,,instead of cooking them your truelly curing them ...a few months back i had a couple racks that took over 24hrs

huntcoop
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
...12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory.......A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke...

Thats the problem with a Big Chief, keeping a consistant temperature. Say 2-3 hours in the smoker then how many in the oven?

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Thats the problem with a Big Chief, keeping a consistant temperature. Say 2-3 hours in the smoker then how many in the oven?

each there own ,but i did that a few times ,,there not the same ..just do it in the chief and be patient ,,end result is much better .. one thing u dont wanna do is cook them ,,,just cure and smoke ,,it takes that long to cure in the smoker cuz the bone and the thickness..trust me there much ,much better if you just take your time...

r106
05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
each there own ,but i did that a few times ,,there not the same ..just do it in the chief and be patient ,,end result is much better .. one thing u dont wanna do is cook them ,,,just cure and smoke ,,it takes that long to cure in the smoker cuz the bone and the thickness..trust me there much ,much better if you just take your time...

Your right we are talking 2 completly different methods. I've never tried them the way your doing it. I definitely won't knock it until I try it. By the sound of it they would be super tender

Do you deliver? LOL

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Your right we are talking 2 completly different methods. I've never tried them the way your doing it. I definitely won't knock it until I try it. By the sound of it they would be super tender

Do you deliver? LOL

accually there not tender at all ..there really chewy ,,kinda just like jerky .. acually alot like jerky ...you get a hell of a jaw workout when u eat 5 or 6 of them

huntcoop
05-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Time to dust off the Big Chief and hit Walmart, damn I'm hungry now!

r106
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Until there done. LOL If your smoker dosen't get to hot they could still take several hours in the oven @220. the key to pork is low and slow don't rush it. The meathod Jeff is using is curing like you would sausage the way I'm talking is cooking.

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Time to dust off the Big Chief and hit Walmart, damn I'm hungry now!

i no ,im hopeing to get mine in the chief tomorrow after work and have them ready tuesday morning when i get up for work ...ill post pics when there done

huntcoop
05-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Until there done. LOL If your smoker dosen't get to hot they could still take several hours in the oven @220. the key to pork is low and slow don't rush it. The meathod Jeff is using is curing like you would sausage the way I'm talking is cooking.

Do you use a rub or marinade and how long do they sit before they go into the smoker?

r106
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Do you use a rub or marinade and how long do they sit before they go into the smoker?

I use a homemade dry rub. usually let them sit overnight but Ive done a few that have only sat for an hour or 2 still turned out good. Check out the bradley smoker forum lots of recipies and the basic smoke and cooking techniques are basically the same for any smoker

You can pm me if you like I don't want to high jack jeff's thread any more unless he doesn't care

Can't wait for the finished pics Jeff

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I use a homemade dry rub. usually let them sit overnight but Ive done a few that have only sat for an hour or 2 still turned out good. Check out the bradley smoker forum lots of recipies and the basic smoke and cooking techniques are basically the same for any smoker

You can pm me if you like I don't want to high jack jeff's thread any more unless he doesn't care

Can't wait for the finished pics Jeff

no its ok ..u guys chat away ,its all good..the dry rub i use is a two part cure ...the spice and salt ,then a little packet of cure ..it has red dye in it ,makes the meat more desirable looking ...it recomends leaving the rub to cure for 24hrs for jerky ,so being thicker ribs i let them cure longer ...

Caveman
05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Looks good Jeff! Now you got my wife going on about doing some elk ribs. Damn! Looks like I'll be doing some for Mothers Day!

Jeff88
05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Looks good Jeff! Now you got my wife going on about doing some elk ribs. Damn! Looks like I'll be doing some for Mothers Day!

haha ...sorry man... but dont you like em too

Gateholio
05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I often do ribs low and slow on the BBQ with hickory chips.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298_32314630515_526315515_1565539_6459_n.jpg

I often smoke onions and tomatoes to make a smokey BBQ sauce, too.

Weatherby Fan
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM
The cook/deckhands on the tugs I work on use a dry rub for ribs and it's to die for,I'll see if they will part with the secret ingredients,
I never was a big fan of ribs until I had them with this dry rub on them,kind of a sweet n spicy........hhmmm !

kishman
05-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Great thread folks, it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm hungry for Ribs!! Man those look good!

r106
05-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Holy shit gatehouse that looks good

Sitkaspruce
05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
The problem with the jerky rub is that it full of nitrates and salt, which is used to cure and dry out the meat. If you like chewy meat, like Jeff, then that is what to use.

If you like meat that a moist, stay on the ribs but pull apart easy, go with a homemade rub. Google meat rubs, there is a ton of them. Find one you like a play around with it it, adding more or less spice, heat and taste. My next one will be a citrus rub, as pork with citrus is damn good.

Another method is to cook your ribs in the oven at 225. Put them in a large pot with a metal rack, one layer. Put in a mixture of water and apple juice so there is about 1" of liquid in the pot. Cover with foil and cook for 4-5 hours. Remove, cover in your fav meat sauce and put on the BBQ with some smoker pelets for anouther hour or so using the indirect heat method. Just about as good as the smoker.....but not quite.

Lots of good info on the net.

Cheers

SS

tomahawk
05-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Just finished up a rack tonight for dinner. Dry rub of Paperika, onion, garlic, brown sugar, cayanne, mustard and salt/pepper, left on for 24 hours then smoked in the Bradley for 7 hours at 200-225 w/Crown Royal pucks....awesome!!!!

Have done duck, chicken, smokies, pepperoni, brats, summers, fish, pulled pork and ribs. Want to do some brisket next.

Cheers

SS

Nice, great eats that you dont get anywhere else unless you do im yourself!!

tomahawk
05-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I use a homemade dry rub.

Agree, they are easy to make and much cheaper then the prepackaged and you get to control the amounts of every spice and preservative you use!

r106
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Cheers

SS

Brisket is the next one I want to try also. From what I here it's the hardest to do right

and that is 95% the same rub I use

r106
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Agree, they are easy to make and much cheaper then the prepackaged and you get to control the amounts of every spice and preservative you use!

exactly you don't need all the preservatives for something thats going to last 10 min once cooked

@ first making homemade rub was a great way to clean up the spice cabinet, just through everything in. now it's a little more complicated. Just use the ingredients Sitka mentioned. you can't go wrong

Jeff88
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
The problem with the jerky rub is that it full of nitrates and salt, which is used to cure and dry out the meat. If you like chewy meat, like Jeff, then that is what to use.

If you like meat that a moist, stay on the ribs but pull apart easy, go with a homemade rub. Google meat rubs, there is a ton of them. Find one you like a play around with it it, adding more or less spice, heat and taste. My next one will be a citrus rub, as pork with citrus is damn good.

Another method is to cook your ribs in the oven at 225. Put them in a large pot with a metal rack, one layer. Put in a mixture of water and apple juice so there is about 1" of liquid in the pot. Cover with foil and cook for 4-5 hours. Remove, cover in your fav meat sauce and put on the BBQ with some smoker pelets for anouther hour or so using the indirect heat method. Just about as good as the smoker.....but not quite.

Lots of good info on the net.

Cheers

SS

dont get me wrong ,the fall of the bone ribs are good but these jerky ribs are beyond good...i love the chewy dried jerky style..thats why its so important to not let the smoker get beyond 150F ..i just put mine in the smoker ,theymost of them will be ready at 5am when i get up .. the thicker ones will have to go until i get off work

Islandbowhunter
05-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh man, those look great! I love slow-barbequed ribs, I can pull off a 3-4 hour cook on the Weber. I like the look of the grilled tomatoes and onions, we often put on red pepper halves and douse them with whatever you're using for a mop.

Have you guys ever heard of the Orion? My neighbour has one, it's really sweet!

nano
05-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Now that I have seen this Jeff I cant waite for this weekend! I got a pork shoulder and 2 chickens to smoke for Sunday. And the ribs look great.

phoenix
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Did somebody say ribs in the smoker??????? Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Gatehouse, where's the jalapenos, just about every time I run the smoker I make fresh chipotles, onions and tomatoes for the next BBQ sauce.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/bbq/PA010002.jpg
pulled pork in the smoker and beans in the pot with a view
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/bbq/DSC_0036.jpg

Jeff88
05-07-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/ribs11.jpg

and the smoking begins ....

Jeff88
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/ribs3.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/barby.jpg

hawkeye
05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Looks like there's tandoori chicken on that grill?

Jeff88
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Looks like there's tandoori chicken on that grill?

it most certanly is ..tandori ,barbacue ,and honey garlic ....then i had 2 peices of ribs i couldnt fit in the smoker ,so on the barbaque it went

r106
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Holy meat sweats LOL

Jeff88
05-07-2012, 08:22 PM
look at em already ...yummmmyyy

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/smoker12.jpg

Jeff88
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
bloody things still aint ready ...24hrs and counting

r106
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
F**k it. I went to the butcher today. there will be a pork butt in the smoker in the next day or 2

Jeff88
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
F**k it. I went to the butcher today. there will be a pork butt in the smoker in the next day or 2

sweet ...that will be tasty ...im starting to chew on some of my smaller pieces now ...i got a line up at the smoker every time i open it

r106
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I fired her up @ 8 this morning and had a 8lb pork butt in there by 8:30. put on the dry rub last night

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1412.jpg

And 3.5 hours. Almost time to turn the smoke off

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1413.jpg

And @ 6 1/2 hours. This sucker is cooking a lot faster than normal. It didn't stall around 120* like they normally do. already at 170* I usually letter go to about 190

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1414.jpg

Jeff88
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
what temp are u cooking that at

huntcoop
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, that looks incredible!

r106
05-09-2012, 06:38 PM
That was cooked at 225-230 degrees. I got impatient and took it out @ 180... Total cook time was 8 hour, which was a lot faster than normal. It was 8lb before I trimmed some fat

Thanks huntcop it tastes as good as it looks

I didn't make a homemade sauce like I normally do. I got a bottle of sauce from the House of Q. they were selling it at a promotional event for the Fox radio station. If anyone comes across it, get a bottle. It's fantastic on pork