PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House or Mountain House Pro Packs ?

Iltasyuko
05-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Any recommendation on using the regular Mountain House packages or the pro packs?
Obviously the pro packs take up less room but I am trying to figure out which will be best for one person per meal. The www site will have info such as, Beef Stew and show the regular pack having 210 calories and serves 2.5 while the pro pack has the same 210 calories but serves 2?? Total weight from the regular package is a bit more than the pro pack.
Any experiences with these two packaging styles would be interesting and also any recommendation on good recipes and which to stay away from?

One Shot
05-06-2012, 11:30 AM
The Pro pacs are a little more than half of the two meal package. Calories are per serving I believe not the entire bag. I use both depending on what I can get. I have taken the regular meals and split them in half and place it in a HD baggy along with a posti note inside indicating how much water is needed. Or I have cooked a regular meal eat half and left the other half remaining in the bag to be reheated later in the day in a pan of water. If it is hot I will place the remaining half by my camel back or cold water bottle. Get out and try both at home before you go.

snareman1234
05-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Pro packs were not enough for me after a full day sheep hunting. I took both up north, the propacks and the regular 2-person servings, and i vowed I would not take the propacks again, as I felt that being full and happy kept me hunting harder, and only the regular 2-person packs offered this for me.

KodiakHntr
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Regular version for evening meals, propacks for lunch.....

bigwhiteys
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Like Clayton a pro-pak is not enough of a meal for me, although I do pack them still for when I feel like a lighter meal... Chili Mac, S/S pork and Spaghetti aren't too bad. They make a solid lunch at least lol...

BromBones
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I need the regular (double serving) MH meals. You can throw some powdered potatoes or instant stuffing mix in with the meal if you want more volume, makes you feel full and not want to eat your lunch for the next day with supper :)

You can save alot of pack space by putting the portions in ziploc bags (double them up), and carry one or two empty MH bags to cook them in. You have to wash out the bag after but as long as you do it right away they clean out easily. Doesn't seem like it will save much room, but when you're packing up 12 or 14 you really notice the difference.

Scuba_Dave
05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
The only IMPs I eat are the ones I can get from my "private" supplier...Freddychef...Google it. If you can find somewhere to get them, grab as much as you can. They are bloody wonderful!! For the most part they taste good cold or warm. The newer versions come with this plastic bag that you throw the IMP into and then pour water into the bag, causes a chemical reaction and 30 minutes later your food is ready. The older ones are done old school in a canteen with water over flame. High calorie intake per package and each box comes with everything plus more you need for a meal.

Dave

yukon john
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I take both, then decide how hungry I am. Beef Stoganoff, sweet and sour pork, chicken teriyaki are my favorite, beef stew and turkey tetrazzini are good to. Dont get lasanga its awful I've seen guys puke after it, spaggatti and chili macaroni arent very good either. They havent figured out how to make cheese so they add dog feces instead.

bigwhiteys
05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
spaggatti and chili macaroni arent very good either. They havent figured out how to make cheese so they add dog feces instead.

whhhhaatt?? I down that sh!t... The "cheese" is a pain in the a$$ to clean off a spork though.

ThinAir
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I take both on a sheep hunt. The days that I'm bustn' my balls hiking I'll eat a regular.... the days I'm fogged in or glassing most of the day I'll eat a pro pack.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I use mainly propacks but like to mix in a regular double portion every couple of days...maybe 3 or 4 over a 14 day trip. If I was younger like some guys, I would eat mostly doubles but I can survive on propacks if I have to.

Not all flavours are available in propacks.

SSS

Blockcaver
05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Pro Packs conserve enough space to be worth it for me, and like mentioned above, I like to add some mashed potatoes to the meals. My favorites are chicken terriyaki w/rice, pasta primavera, rice and chicken, lasagna with meat, spaghetti with meat and beef stroganoff in that order. I don't buy chili mac. Not that I never was fussy! For years I ate the Mt House cold to avoid carrying a stove, fuel and pot.....add cold water and let it sit for awhile. It is crunchy if you get tired of waiting. Anymore I take the stove and enjoy it hot.

Iltasyuko
05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
So is it common to eat a pro pack for lunch and another pro pack or regular MH meal in the evening - or is lunch something more basic like protein bars? Trying to sort out how many freeze dry meals to pack per day.

BromBones
05-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I never pack MH for lunch, just take protein bars/trail mix/dried fruit. Less stove fuel needed that way, and 2 MH meals in one day is not the easiest on the gut.

leadpillproductions
05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
What do u guys do for breakfast I'm thinkin of takin mnt house for that to .in yrs past I took instant oatmeal packs but just not enough

KB90
05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Harvest Crunch Cereal - Powedered Milk - Dehydrated blueberries/strawberries.

Premade in ziplock bags. Can be enjoyed both cold and hot.

Ovis17
05-07-2012, 09:34 AM

X2 on that one.

yukon john
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Great breakfast, I throw in some vanilla protien powder and slivered almonds as well

Iron Sighted
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
If you don't mind a little extra work, buy a dehydrator and make your own meals. It'll save you some money and you don't have to ingest a years worth of sodium in a week.

Duidery
05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
On my sheep hunt, I had the Mtn House blueberries and oatmeal everyday for breakfast. Very tasty and filling in my opinion.

argyle1
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
i like to throw some hamburger jerky and a few raisons into 2 pacs of instant mush for breakfast--gets me thru to lunch no prob

houndogger
05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
On my sheep hunt, I had the Mtn House blueberries and oatmeal everyday for breakfast. Very tasty and filling in my opinion.

I'll second that. I really loved that for breakfast and was very filling.

Ruger4
08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
who sells Mountainhouse ?

Buck
08-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Good place to get it is Campsaver and they ship to Canada .Much cheaper even at retail and i just ordered a bunch at an additional 20% off.

Hammerhead
08-21-2012, 08:21 PM
If your in the lower mainland and has someone that goes to the US to buy milk at Costco. Lol. They have the best price for a box of 10 meals. 3 chicken Teriyaki, 3 beef stroganoff, 2 beef stew and 2 lasagna for ( the wife's memory says) $42.00. Some don't care for the lasagna but there's not much I can't eat, especially when hungry. If your lucky sheep tenderloin added makes a hell of a meal
HH

Ron.C
08-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Mec, Wholesale Sports, some Canadian Tire Stores, Cabelas....... And you can get them from a ton of other online sources. Not sure if any HBC sponsors sell them or not.
Just try a few different ones to see what you like before you buy a plie of them.

I eat Propacs, I am smaller and one is just right for me.

My three fav's are:
Sweat/Sour Pork with rice
Chicken teryaki and Rice
Chilli Mac with beef " I add a spot of hot suace to this one"

For breakfast, I just stick with 2 oatmeal packets and a cliffbar, but the Mountain House granola based breakys are pretty good. Although you can make the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

StoneChaser
08-21-2012, 09:44 PM
I typically only take a few Mtn House meals on a trip but like the Pro Pack size as I find a full size package too much most days.

Breakfast I usually eat a granola bar a few hours after I start hiking and throughout the day I'll snack on a few bananna chips and mixed nuts, choke down a chunk of landjaeger (sp?), a chocolate/cliff bar, and then 1/2 of a pack of Lipton sidekick for supper and crawl into the tent.