PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side (UTV)

bearhunter338-06
05-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I have been researching the Side X Side (UTV) market for a while now. Their are a couple of models out their that really interest me.

I would like to hear from all the different owner and/or the people who have ridden in different models. What you liked about them and what you don't like.

Thanks

RiverOtter
05-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Have spent a fair bit of time in an 800efi Ranger, and while I like the "Utility", they are somewhat cumbersome for off road stuff. Ride, power and comfort are all great though.

Got a chance to ride around in a Commander 1000 by Can-am a few months ago, and that is the rig I'd buy, if I were in the market and ready to spend that kinda coin. Power was unreal and fuel economy was pretty decent as well.

Rhino's I've found to be gutless, and the guys I know who own them say they're gas hogs, which is not a great addition to lack of power.

Arctic Cats I would steer clear of all together, as AC can't seem to iron out the issues. The 4 guys I know who have owned AC's, have all traded off on other brands after several trips to the shop. Problems ranged from tranny issues, chronic over heating, and in one case valve failure, requiring the engine to be pulled. Not exactly the kind of stuff that gives me the warm/fuzzy.

sheepaholic
05-06-2012, 11:01 AM
i have a rhino and like it.
it has enough box space for hauling gear and animals its not super fast 65kmh top speed mines an 05 660 and never had a problem with it.
i would buy another one.

TUGGER
05-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Bearhunter with age comes cage I had a two up for the better half and myself canam great machine but the constant downhill was too much for the wife and we went to a canam commander 1000xt the others i have tried left a bit to be desired nice machines. but the first time you ride a commander your mind will be made up they all have problems but it cost a little more to go first class

tugger:-D

waistdeep
05-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Tugger, i respect your opinion of the CanAm, I tried a 1000 and I tried all the rest. I settled with the Polaris RZR. Light, powerful and carried everything I can imagine. Goes anywhere a quad will and fits in the back of my truck. I had one that got stolen, did the whole research thing and ended up buying another. I think these are great machines, what ever you chose it will be a step up from a quad. My hunting buddies love it and solo it grants awesome room. With heater damn near perfect.

yukon john
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Used a ranger and a mule quite a bit, suprising where they will go, ranger was definately more aggresive. Both good machines.

yukon john
05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Running a tracked argo right now and it will go anywhere but there is quite a bit of wrenching to keep them going and they are more expensive (34,000)

treeclimber
05-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a 2010 ranger800, and I absolutely love it, goes anywhere the ride is super smooth and compared to other machines it's quiet. I would recommend it to anyone

r106
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Tugger, i respect your opinion of the CanAm, I tried a 1000 and I tried all the rest. I settled with the Polaris RZR. Light, powerful and carried everything I can imagine. Goes anywhere a quad will and fits in the back of my truck. I had one that got stolen, did the whole research thing and ended up buying another. I think these are great machines, what ever you chose it will be a step up from a quad. My hunting buddies love it and solo it grants awesome room. With heater damn near perfect.

X2 on the razor. Ive seen a lot of shows and magazine reviews on the 2 and the only thing the CanAm wins on is a straight line drag race. Having said that I have 2 friends that have razors and I've driven them. But I have never driven a commander

REMINGTON JIM
05-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I go out in Buddies Yamaha 700 Rhino a lot - its ok - not too big - short on power for me and i don't like the fact it has no Trans Park - always have to use the E brake ! Tuff as hell though ! :) RJ

buckhunter
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
x2 on the rhino, great machine! throw a heater in it during the fall/winter and add a electric lunchbox and you're set! i find the john deere machines a little heavy. argo's need alot of up-keep. the rangers are nice too,only 6 inches wider than a rhino.

Singleshotneeded
05-07-2012, 12:58 AM
If you like the ability to go down narrow quad trails with a side by side, you have two options: the more reliable option
but a bit limited in power is the Yamaha Rhino, it's bulletproof and great on the trails...several guys on Quads.ca own them
and have put them through their paces, and they've been on trails I've been on and had no issues.
The second option is the Polaris RZR, it's record for reliability is nowhere near as good as the Yamaha, but it has a good
fun engine, quick, handles trails well, and you can fit a deer in the back if you remove the spare tire.
If you're not concerned about being able to ride down narrow quad trails, and overgrown logging roads are more your
speed, then the larger Polarises, the Teryx, and the Can-Am are definitely worth a look at. Arctic Cats are unreliable.

bearhunter338-06
05-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I have narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 models:

1) Arctic Cat 750 (quickly losing ground)

2) Can-am Commander 800

3) Can-am Commander 1000

4) Polaris Ranger 500

Last but not least

5) Polaris Ranger 800

Squire
05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I have a 2007 Rhino 660 and to be honest I would buy a Commander if it fit in my trailer. I have a 5' x 10' landscape trailer with sides and a rear ramp. It is 59" inside and the Rhino is 57" wide. The Can-am lists at 59" so it just might fit. I was looking them over at Tradex last year and I could have bought the floor model (800) for less than I paid for my Rhino. My Rhino does have all of the aftermarket armouring though, skid plates from front to back, A-arm skid plates, and bigger tires and rims. I don't know if the factory undercarraige of the Commander would be as bulleproof.

I love my Rhino, I was just out yesterday mowing down alders on a grown in spur, I love the way the rollcage folds everything away from the occupants. For under $200 I replaced the CDI unit with an aftermarket model and it added a bit of power but mostly just 'smoothed it out'. The Commander still has the advantage of being both quieter and more powerful though.

Don't buy a Ranger 500, you will regret not having the power of the 800. The 800 Ranger is wider than the Rhino and Commander at 60" which is narrower than they were a few years ago.

Good luck, whatever your final choice you'll never regret switching from ride-up to side-by-side.

Barracuda
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
i always chuckle when people say get the biggest engine or the fastest :lol: the 500 efi ranger is 32 hp the rhino 660 is less then that isnt it? What about gear ,low range gear ratio (there also after market options) and weight etc http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/Mid-Size-Utility-Vehicles/RANGER-500-EFI/pages/overview.aspx?WT.ac=ORV-TopNav-T2-Model-r12rh50a-2012_rgr_500_efi

BuckEye
05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
I have the Polaris Ranger 800 efi. Have had it for a year now and love it. The cargo space in the box is great. Even with gear like a toolbox, chainsaw, rubbermaid and cooler, you just throw a tarp over it and place the deer on top of it all. I mostly ride the forest service roads and smaller spurs and haven't had issue with the width. I sat in a Can-Am at the sportsman show and it felt really plush and comfortable. Don't go 500cc. Others are right, you will regret the lack of power. Polaris Rangers have a 3 person bench with belts for all. With two hunters, the rifles can ride in the middle in an available stand. You are in an upright seating position vs the more compact car entry and seating position of the razor/commander design. Lots to think about in pro's and cons. I think the big questions are how much gear and cargo space do you think you will want, and do you think you will be on very tight trails.

KodiakHntr
05-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Stock Rhino is about 27 hp....Commander 1000 is 85hp.

Commander and Rhino both do high and low range, engine brakes, etc....

If a person is in the market for a side by side you really need to clarify what it is you want to do with it. Go fast and whale through whoops? Polaris Razr or Arctic Cat Wildcat. Obscene power and comfort? The Commander. Loads of reliability and function? Rhino (at the expense of speed and power, but still more than enough, and more than what the majority of guys need in reality).

Pick what you want to do with it, then go from there.

Barracuda
05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Stock Rhino is about 27 hp....Commander 1000 is 85hp.

Commander and Rhino both do high and low range, engine brakes, etc....

If a person is in the market for a side by side you really need to clarify what it is you want to do with it. Go fast and whale through whoops? Polaris Razr or Arctic Cat Wildcat. Obscene power and comfort? The Commander. Loads of reliability and function? Rhino (at the expense of speed and power, but still more than enough, and more than what the majority of guys need in reality).

Pick what you want to do with it, then go from there.

this is exactly it , one guy the fastest dune rider might be the perfect ride for another the lowest low-range gear ratio for rocks or tech stuff might be the ticket and for others the diesel might be the pefect match. Its horses for courses not one size fits all.

bearhunter338-06
05-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Hunting and exploring is what the rig will be used for. I have done and finished with the speed thing. I have 1,000's of miles of logging roads and FSR at my door step. Honestly it will take me longer to load the UTV onto the trailer then drive to the area I will be exploring/hunting.

I am liking the ground clearance of the Polaris Rangers.

Frango
05-07-2012, 09:19 AM
No one ever talks about the Honda big red? Are they crap?? or whats the issue?

REMINGTON JIM
05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Yamaha Rhino or the Polaris Ranger as good all round not to big to long to powerfull etc machines - both are like a 270 or 30-06 in comparison to the MAGNUM Can ams ! :-D LOL RJ

Singleshotneeded
05-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda Big Red is huge and has no front diff lock...good for farmers! Burke, I'd check out quads.ca, the Yamaha Rhino
is one of the most popular UTV's there, as it's very capable off road and doesn't have the reliability issues of the Polaris.
Mind you, Polaris isn't nearly as bad as Arctic Cat, a friend had one of those and on almost every ride something broke!
Another nice thing about the Rhino is that you push a button and the front diff is locked in tricky situations. With Can-Am
the front wheels have to slip first before they lock...though if you want power and comfort the Commander 800 is good!

r106
05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I have narrowed my search down to 4 or 5 models:

1) Arctic Cat 750 (quickly losing ground)

2) Can-am Commander 800

3) Can-am Commander 1000

4) Polaris Ranger 500

Last but not least

5) Polaris Ranger 800

Try

#1 Polaris Razr

#2 Can Am Commander

#3 Yamaha Rhino

#4 Polaris Ranger

I would at least take Artic Cat off the list

bearhunter338-06
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Frango;1145434]No one ever talks about the Honda big red? Are they crap?? or whats the issue?[/QUOTE

I think they are just to new

swampthing
05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Frango;1145434]No one ever talks about the Honda big red? Are they crap?? or whats the issue?[/QUOTE

I think they are just to new

They are a plain utility machine. More fairly compared to a kabota.

ryanhuntslots
05-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I own a Ranger 800 efi with the power steering and have buddies with commanders and rhinos, Commanders way more power but cant haul anything substatial, rhino fits in the pick up but is under powered for me. Ranger can take 1000 lbs cargo in the box, and tow a pile of weight. Polaris has a great awd system as well. To buy another right now, as a hunting rig I would buy the ranger agian.

2chodi
05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
No one ever talks about the Honda big red? Are they crap?? or whats the issue?

A buddy won a big red in a local Rotary raffle and used it last year for moose hunting, then deer hunting in November, and finally cougar hunting in January. He loves it. I have spent a couple of days in it and it seems to be very functional and goes through the soft ground really well. I have no experience in any other side-by-side machine to do a comparison. The big red is wide!

Singleshotneeded
05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah, forget going down a narrow quad trail with a Big Red...and no front diff lock!

2chodi
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, forget going down a narrow quad trail with a Big Red...and no front diff lock!

From the Honda.ca website: 2WD/4WD and 4WD with all-wheel differential lock; direct front and rear driveshafts

bearhunter338-06
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Also liking the big box on the Ranger 800, good for the dogs to ride in.

Thinking the Ranger is more fitting for my needs.

Singleshotneeded
05-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Wow, Honda finally got around to putting diff lock on a vehicle in 2012! Lol, you got me on that one,
I know Honda atv's aren't too popular at quads.ca because they were way behind in tech like diff lock,
and have been for many years. Nice to see they're beginning to wake up! :-)
Well Burke, Polaris quality control has been improving...do your homework though...

2chodi
05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Actually the 2011 Big Red also has the diff lock. I thought I remembered that from riding in my buddy's, but I had to look it up. In any case, I am not making any kind of recommendation as I really don't know a lot about side-by-sides.

2x4x16
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I have just recently bought the Can -Am 800 Max - which is the 2 up machine. This ride is absolutely amazing, the stability of a 2 up surpassed the conventional by a ton! We just recently went on a ride, Can-Am Grizzly and Rzr. The Rzr is not meant for quad trails, we had issues the entire time with the sxs. The Rzr owner uses his machine a lot in the desert which it`s great for. But I was not impressed with it in the trails - not for me.
I frequently have a passenger with me when we ride, the abilities and power are not at all hampered by the extra weight. If an one is looking for 2 person machine the 2 up quads are well worth looking at. I'm 41 now and won't consider a sxs for at least another 15 years. And I will never buy a conventional quad again.

I have done some after market mods to my quad which make it run quicker compared to stock - you can never have enough power! I would love to take a modified 1000 out for a ride.

Singleshotneeded
05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
A lot of guys on quads.ca went with a Can-Am Outlander 650 instead of the 800 or new 1000, because it's less
expensive to buy, has pretty darn good power for a 650, and doesn't drink nearly as much gas- so you don't
have to mount gas cans all over the outside of the quad when you go for an all day ride...
That's why I bought a 450, because it has enough power for the trails and I can ride all day and explore without
carrying jerry cans of extra gas with me.

waistdeep
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
"The Rzr is not meant for quad trails, we had issues the entire time with the sxs" your buddy must have a 900 that has a 60" wheel base for my 50" goes anywhere. Just sayin...

Singleshotneeded
05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Exactly, the original RZR is the only SXS that can go anywhere a quad can go, though the Rhino comes close...
the Rhino is 51.25" outside of tire to outside of tire and the body width maxes out at 54".
The RZR is 50" wide, only 2" wider than the average quad.

sled92
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Exactly, the original RZR is the only SXS that can go anywhere a quad can go, though the Rhino comes close...
the Rhino is 51.25" outside of tire to outside of tire and the body width maxes out at 54".
The RZR is 50" wide, only 2" wider than the average quad.

The specs on the 2011 Rhino indicate a width of 56.6" on the standard models and 58.7" on the deluxe edition. Are you measuring an older model?:)

BigSlapper
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
I have an 07 Yamaha Rhino 660. Knock on wood, it's never left me stranded. A lot of aftermarket goodies to add if you desire. No end to what one can spend on these things. Fuel consumption is decent. Enough power for me and a decent load capacity for hauling the dog plus the saw, extra fuel and a few beers .... pic shows it hauling out a deer. Pulled moose out as well with no problem. The down side is the dust that gets kicked up. It can get a bit dusty in the dry months. I have added a dust kit so it helps but the tires and lift do tend to add to the issue though ...
I would buy another.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/TUNKWA4X3_NOV_22_2011012.jpg

r106
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
"The Rzr is not meant for quad trails, we had issues the entire time with the sxs" your buddy must have a 900 that has a 60" wheel base for my 50" goes anywhere. Just sayin...

X2 there are 3 models of the razor last I checked. I know 2 guy's that have the 50" and they will go anywere. One guy put 1" or 2" wheel spacers on and it gives him a little more trouble. So every inch helps

Singleshotneeded
05-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah Sled, the one in question is a 2008, that I got those measurements from. Too bad Yammie's making them wider now.

argyle1
05-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I just checked out the new CFMoto utv---it certainly gave me a whole new respect for chinese product--you have to see it to believe it --- 5 year warranty at 2/3 cost, and they are sold only by bonfide dealers with shops and parts, not like canadian tire or prin cess auto

Dhegg
05-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Go commander and don't look back. It has the best hauling and towing capacity, comfortable ergonomic ride, anti-theft (best on the market), great fuel economy, full roll cage (not like you really need it it's that stable), ample cargo/storage, ROTAX!, on and on. When I was looking i rode them all. I rode the commander last and left with it. I spend alot of time in that machine with and without the wife and kids. Did I mention you can remove the seats and sit very comfortably by a fire anywhere?

walnutz
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
X2 on the commander!! I love mine and look forward to many years of usage.
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt130/dnuts15/commander-1.jpg