PDA

View Full Version : Late season moose tips?

Black Bird
05-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Okay - I know I am getting WAY ahead of myself as:

a) we are in early May

b) I haven't even put my name in the LEH yet, let alone got pulled

But, I can't help but get excited (hopeful?!) for the moose season a'comming. The thing is that while I have hunted blacktailed deer for the past few years, I have never gone moose hunting. This season it is my plan to change that.

The kicker is that while I will be able to do quite a bit of scouting this summer, I already know that the dates for my moose hunting trip are going to be for about a week in mid-November. My understanding is that that rut will be finished and the bulls (what I am putting my draw in for) will be no longer coming to a call.

Can anyone give me a tip or two about where the bulls will likely go come mid-November and any tactics that might pan out? I have heard that they head up high into the thick stuff to fatten up after the rut. But I have also heard that they sometime form bachelor groups. I will likely be trying for both the Merritt area and Clearwater/Wells Grey - or maybe around Lillooet (still trying to figure out if the number of potential tags means that there are many moose there or if it is just an attempt to get a bunch of suckers to give away their money ie. 250 Bison tags for Pemberton Valley 0.001:1 odds :-D

Cheers,
BB

MB_Boy
05-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Don't be afraid to use a call.

elkdom
05-05-2012, 08:01 AM
yup, the bachelor herds, will be "fattening up" in the "thick stuff" ,,,way above the "snow-line" ,
in FACT wayyy above the TREE line,,,,,,,,,come November !

the REALLY BIG MATURE ones are usually on the North side of mountain peaks,,,

while the "fork-horns" and "spikers" are usually on the "WEST SIDE" of mountain peaks,,,

GoatGuy
05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
They'll find a patch of food and hang out there, sometimes in an area <1KM2. November you've got to put the miles on, look in all the outta the way spots, find tracks, sneak up and shoot.

Sometimes calling works.

doubled
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Second rut will be finishing around then so I would still call periodically. Might get a spiker coming out to greet you. Also, by then, they will have most likely started to move towards their wintering grounds so you will need to put some miles on. Find willow patches, secluded swamps, creeks, etc. As others have mentioned, they will be feeding and recuperating so will hole up in a nice spot if they find one.