PDA

View Full Version : Pike Minnow - Cultus Lake Derby?

Mulehahn
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I was reading the latest issue of BC Outdoors and there is an article about the Greg Clark Memorial Fishing Derby. It sounds like this derby was created to remove northern pike minnows (squaw fish) from Cultus. The derby sounds like fun, but it also says that there is $2 bounty on every pike minnow. A day of fishing with my nephews and I could get the gas paid for, sounds good to me. How plentiful are these fish in that lake? Also, how do you target these fish in a lake, I have caught them in rivers on small spoon, this the same for a lake? Thanks.

Fella
05-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I've caught squaw fish in lakes with a piece of a hot dog on a hook. Never fished cultus even though I live in the area, but you can usually see them at the ends of docks.

ElectricDyck
05-11-2012, 05:10 AM
I've caught them on the fly using a muddler minnow and have seen people float fish them with worms really successfully.

laredo318
05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I spent a lot of summers at Cultas Lake as a kid. We used to spearfish them. Never used a rod and lure or bait.

BearStump
05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
a worm just off the bottom with a bobber works just fine. catch them in the shallower water 5-40 ft mostly. anywhere around main beach . fish right off the docks if you want.