PDA

View Full Version : fort st james

olympia
05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
just got back from fort st james, i was visiting a property i bought there. i must have seen about 50 deer between williams lake and quesnel. In fs james i must have seen about 15-20 elk and lots of bear, they are everywhere. I met a few of the locals and I noticed they would stop by my property and ask me who i was and how long i was staying, can anyone out there tell me about your experiences with the locals, a fellow warned me that the only things i need to watch out for was "the grizzlies and the indians" i then told him i had grown up in squamish and got along with all the indians there so i felt comfortable but then he said "these are different indians and his buddy that was with him laughed" can anyone tell me of their experiences?

The Dude
05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Ohhhhhh...this should be fun.

(PS: PM Te Anau, a member here from New Zealand. He was looking for a property to rent in Ft St James, if you wanna rent yours and have someone take care of it)

GoatGuy
05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Local bar is called the Zoo - check it out.

olympia
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
yeah but the guy from new zealand wanted a property with a cabin on it, my stuff is just plain land, its got a fair size cleared patch. and as for great guy what does that even mean?

moosinaround
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Bahhh, you won't have any troubles, if your not looking for trouble. You will probably have more troubles with the Caucasian poachers than you will with the natives! I worked up in fore skin jimmy(Ft St James) for years and never had any problems with natives around the town. Takla Lake natives, now that is a different story all together!! Moosin

Jeff88
05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
been going there for 22 years now ,used to stay at the now closed hotel ,what a dump .it was above the bar called the ,,zoo.. it lived up to its name ..the zoo ..i only ever had one incedent over the years..all in all its a nice place

Ambush
05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
It's a northern town with loggers and Indians. So it's pretty much going to be like a northern town with loggers and Indians.

Plenty of fish, game, water and thousands of acres of mostly unresticted recreation.

.330 Dakota
05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Downtown on a weekend night is entertaining, pulled into the Tourist Info spot for a nap on a Fri night,,,Duh, that lasted about 10 minutes and I headed for the bush

Goliath
05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
It's a northern town with loggers and Indians. So it's pretty much going to be like a northern town with loggers and Indians..

Yup, that sums it up perfectly!

Wolfman
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Well said. I agree.

papaken
05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Been to Fort St. James area hunting 5 times. Never had a problem in or out of town. Even the local law is pretty reasonable, caught me and my partner with no seat belts one time. Gave us 1 ticket if we promised to split it, thought that was pretty good. I heard the Zoo is closed?? Wasn't any worse than some of the seedier bars I frequented as a youth in Vancouver. As with any place watch your P's & Q's and try not to be a knob and you should be ok. Hope to be heading back that way again this year for moose, deer, bear and maybe elk. And I would be happy to cull a wolf or 2 if I get a chance. Happy huntin'

Sitkaspruce
05-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Local bar is called the Zoo - check it out.

She is closed...........

Lived there 14 years, never had a problem with any of the locals. One of the best places to live if you like the outdoors. Lots of hunting, amazing fishing and lots of backcountry areas to explore.

Treat people with respect and you will get it in return, same for any other place you visit or live.

PM me if you want some info on the area for elk, deer, moose and fishing.

Wheres your property??

Cheers

SS

olympia
05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
my property is on tachie road close to leo fsr i think its called, its probably five minutes shy of tachie rez i didnt go that far haha just in case the locals didnt take kindly to 2 east indians and a white guy showing up

Buckzilla
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Been to Fort St. James area hunting 5 times. Never had a problem in or out of town. Even the local law is pretty reasonable, caught me and my partner with no seat belts one time. Gave us 1 ticket if we promised to split it, thought that was pretty good. I heard the Zoo is closed?? Wasn't any worse than some of the seedier bars I frequented as a youth in Vancouver. As with any place watch your P's & Q's and try not to be a knob and you should be ok. Hope to be heading back that way again this year for moose, deer, bear and maybe elk. And I would be happy to cull a wolf or 2 if I get a chance. Happy huntin'
Obvoiusly never been in the ZOO on a friday night back in the day. Sorry Bud, but nothing in LML will ever compare! LOL You won't see 2 dudes holding hands in the zoo... Not for long anyway...

Sitkaspruce
05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
my property is on tachie road close to leo fsr i think its called, its probably five minutes shy of tachie rez i didnt go that far haha just in case the locals didnt take kindly to 2 east indians and a white guy showing up

Tachie is not a bad place, some great folks there and a good boat launch to access the river/lake. You on the left or right side of the road? near the round house??
Yes it is the Leo Creek FSR.

Obvoiusly never been in the ZOO on a friday night back in the day. Sorry Bud, but nothing in LML will ever compare! LOL You won't see 2 dudes holding hands in the zoo... Not for long anyway...

LOL!!! that sure was the truth when it was open, some great times there, plus some not so good times.....lots of fights and some stabbings and such.

It was a good place to have a few and dance........

Cheers

SS

olympia
05-05-2012, 10:37 PM
near the round house, a lot of locals stopped and would question what i was doing there, i didnt know if they were stopping because i wasnt wanted there or if they were being genuinely friendly, they seemed ok though

Jelvis
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Probably hoping your leaving soon haha, so they can hunt on your property without you harrassing them.
People are checking you out, probably running your license plates and talking.
Jel .. No big deal by the sounds of it, kinda nosey tho eh?
Just tell em the big dogs rrrr movin in .. how many hectares do you have in Jamestown?

olympia
05-06-2012, 12:00 AM
just a humble 5 acres

Jelvis
05-06-2012, 12:10 AM
humble? 5 acres surrounded by Crown land, wow. Elk, moose, deer, bear, wolf, cougar and the odd lynx.
Birds every where. Or is it developed with city wha wha, sewer and street lamps?
I take it your from the lower Strange Land?

GoatGuy
05-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Seen some beauties in there.

Sitting in the pub at the far end of town one day (can't remember the name) watched a guy get launched through the glass at lunch.

Hahaha.