PDA

View Full Version : Burger patties

redneckmedic
05-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey guys just wondering what you all are adding to your ground wild game to make the best burgers around. I add a small amount of corn crumbs, one egg, a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and a half an onion diced up. I find 1 pound makes about 4 burgers. And it's goooood!

BCBRAD
05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
We use bread crumbs, egg, shot of BBQ sauce, also we change it up with taco seasoning sometimes or montreal steak spice or crumbled blue cheese. I like raw onion on burger.

Slee
05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Crushed smokey chipotle BBQ Doritos , an egg, and minced onion.

Singleshotneeded
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Redneckmedic, you got it down but you're missing the garlic...:-)

bigwhiteys
05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Don't you guys ever watch Diners, Drive-In's and Dives? lol... My new favorite burger recipe is straight burger, sprinkled with salt and pepper while it's cooking. I don't add anything to the meat. I used to try all kinds of different mixtures and spices and realized simple tasted much better.

The Dude
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
As above. I've tried it all, and my venison/pork fat burgers get a small dusting of salt and pepper before they hit the toasted kaiser bun, before being adorned with vine ripened tomatoes, leaf lettuce, red onions, bacon, cheddar or jack cheese, whole grain mustard......
Screw it, I'm making a burger......

Phoneguy
05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I use a little oatmeal and an egg for a binder. Seasoning. Depends on what I feel like. Recent bear burgers I put some Montreal steak spice and some BBQ sauce in the meat before i mixed and formed the burgers. Yummy.
Even my wife is coming around to admitting she likes the taste of bear!

Marlin375
05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
3 heads (not cloves) of puree garlic, 1 tablespooon salt, 2 tablespoons pepper, in a mason jar of water over night.
4 diced Jalepeno peppers
Add garlic water and peppers to 17lb batch of burger with a meat mixer after grinding.
form into paties and freeze with wax paper in a stack 4-6 at a time.
Vacuum seal frozen stack the next day.

Ready to hit the trail, toss a stack in your cooler for lunch over the fire.

Viper
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Instead of pork fat I grind up some bacon and mix it in with the game meat and season to taste. I do about 1/3 bacon.You know what they say even cardboard tastes good with bacon.

bigwhiteys
05-04-2012, 11:36 AM
You know what they say even cardboard tastes good with bacon.

I think vegetarians secretly eat bacon...

GoatGuy
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
wife adds mtl steak spice and frank's as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
wife adds mtl steak spice and frank's as well.

You keep it up with the hot sauce, and you'll be needing an a-hole transplant before you're 40.

SSS

GoatGuy
05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
You keep it up with the hot sauce, and you'll be needing an a-hole transplant before you're 40.

SSS

Hahaha, come on now, it's good for you, helps clean the system out.

eastkoot
05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
All mine is ground with 10% beef fat from prime rib caps..Just add salt and pepper!!

Angus
05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
To make four burgers, I'll use about 1-1/3 to 1-1/2 lbs of meat. I'll mix about teaspoon of garlic and onion powders, kosher salt, black pepper, and about 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder in a big bowl, maybe some smokey paprika too, then add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of ketchup and tablespoon (all rough estimates) of worchestershire sauce. Mix it all together so it has the consistency of BBQ sauce, then add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of dried basil flakes as the binding agent. Mix well then break up the meat into little pieces and mix well with your hands.

When burgers go on grill, I make about a loonie-sized dent in the middle top surface of each. This keeps them from shrinking in diameter and getting too thick in the middle.

redneckmedic
05-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the great responses the garlic added to the meat sounds great and adding BBQ sauce sounds interesting too also the tip about the loonie sized dent in the middle of the pattyis a grand idea much thanks! It's grilling time!

The Dude
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM

SSS

LOL, Frank's ain't hot! It's one step up from Ketchup!
I have stuff in my fridge I have to keep in a lead-lined container, so it doesn't mess with overhead air traffic.

Angus: Good idea on the dent, gonna try it.
Then fill it with liquid FIRE!
Muhuhahaha HAAAA
Wanna try some?

Viper
05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
To make four burgers, I'll use about 1-1/3 to 1-1/2 lbs of meat. I'll mix about teaspoon of garlic and onion powders, kosher salt, black pepper, and about 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder in a big bowl, maybe some smokey paprika too, then add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of ketchup and tablespoon (all rough estimates) of worchestershire sauce. Mix it all together so it has the consistency of BBQ sauce, then add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of dried basil flakes as the binding agent. Mix well then break up the meat into little pieces and mix well with your hands.

When burgers go on grill, I make about a loonie-sized dent in the middle top surface of each. This keeps them from shrinking in diameter and getting too thick in the middle.
I guess that would make it an ANGUS burger.

RENO
05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
I use one egg,galic finely minced(the finer the stronger it is, tablespoon balsamic vinegar, tablespoon olive oil,montreal steak spice, very fine bread crumbs optional.

* SECRET INGREDIENT* Meat= venison+ pork (shoulder/butt)(more fat here than the leg meat) + ground lamb.
* moisture = take the inside of some french style bread (depending on amount of burgers) the size of a hardball,
place in a bowl with homo milk and let it absorb the milk, then break it up finely into meat mixture and form the patties.

RENO
05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
oh and if you like onions, learnt this at the fair years ago , cast iron pan, cut onions in discs, lightly salted and in they go to the hot pan as the pan gets really hot and the onions will burn, add chicken stock a bit at a time and keep frying till caramelized or soft however you like, no shit it smell's like the old days at the fair when they actually cooked something for those who remember, try cooking this and add a few bacon bits on your next outing,

Ubertuber
05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Lots of good ideas for burgers ^^^
I usually go with a bit of Salt and Pepper, that's it. I hand form my patties with a bit of a depression in the centre like noted above. The cooked patty ends up being nice and flat...usually.

Try using Panko breadcrumbs instead on regular bread crumbs with an egg.
One or two spoons of bacon fat in a pound of burger makes for juicy burgers without having to add ground pork.

bridger
05-14-2012, 04:28 AM
I went to a bar b que Friday night where the host served moose burgers. I usually find straight moose burgers dry, but these were great. Doug grinds his moose straight -no fat- and when he prepares the patties he adds some ground celery and some salt and pepper. Very simple, but amazing results.

whitetail2009
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I use reg ground beef 60/40 mix ,egg ,bread crumbs, ketchup, lipton onion soup mix, and some montreal steak spice. Yummy ! this makes an awsome meat loaf also>

Jeff88
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
onion soup mix ,garlic, pepper,bacon bitz and egg to hold it all together ...

Gateholio
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
I use some salt and pepper, cooked onion and garlic, and parsley. I'd never add breadcrumbs to burger, we aren't making meatloaf here! :)

thetackdriver
05-15-2012, 11:40 PM
I like to add a pack of kraft dinner cheese mix, grated cheese, little bit of bacon, seasoning salt , panko and 2 eggs. Dam good burgers i tell ya!!!

Foxton Gundogs
05-17-2012, 04:28 AM
I do my burger up very lean then I like to ad mild or hot Italian Sausage meat(30% or so) other aditives very depending on the mood. Beat the crap out of a package of cornbread stove top stuffing mix and add it with worchestershire an egg and some onion is always a favorite. BBQ sauce just before taking off the grill.

fozzy
05-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I've been making burgers with shredded potato instead of bread crumbs, add garlic, egg, Montreal steak spice, worchester sauce and dijon mustard.... I haven't had any complaints

Fishhound
05-31-2012, 07:54 AM
I crush ceasar salad croutons into crumbs add an egg good to go

russm
05-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Salt,pepper,garlic powder,and depending on my mood something with some heat,what my dad started doing with the last deer we got is making thinner patties than he normally would putting grated cheese on the bottom one and then sandwhiching the cheese with another patty on top,so good!

dogger
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
All this burger talk is making me hungry. Sounds like some good recipes. Have to try a few!!

r106
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I use some salt and pepper, cooked onion and garlic, and parsley. I'd never add breadcrumbs to burger, we aren't making meatloaf here! :)

Thats the recipe my brother in-law uses. He adds a little BBQ sauce I think. I tried them for the first time a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic

frenchbar
05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
chopped onions ..worchester juice... montreal steak spice..pepper...bbqued..

ufishifish2
06-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Here I am reading about how to make awesome burgers and you guys really set my mouth to watering.
Maybe next time I should read threads like this in the afternoon instead of 8:30 in the morning.
On the bright side atleast I can take the ground meat out of the freezer to defrost right now.