PDA

View Full Version : Big elk in the West Kootenays

kootenayelkslayer
11-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd like to see the bull that made this rub. The spot where i'm pointing to with the stick is the highest mark that the bull left on this big tree. (note - I'm 6 foot 2). Have any of you guys found rubs like this?

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
mmhmm look large.
Not an elk hunter here per se, but what size are they typically?

Looks like you were on a backpack hunt - any luck?

eastkoot
11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
5 feet of animal and 4 feet of horn = 9 feet of rub. Height isn't unusual but the tree diameter he picked to rub on is definately a sign of a big bull..

30-06
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
a guy around here went up granite creek .in colamont to his dads big ass tree stand and found rubs from elk 2 feet about his hand,and he is a good 6'2"-6'3"

BlacktailStalker
11-01-2006, 10:23 PM
I found a group of maples about 2/3rdss that size in diameter, but about 6 or 7 of them and they were raked and busted to s$#t. Some were busted clean in half. But like you I was a few days behind him. I still wonder how big he was to have done that. It was beside a wallow and the whole area looked like a wrecking ball went through it.

mcrae
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
I hunt 4-18 and I have seen some huge rubs like that also this year. I never see the elk of course just the aftermath:sad:

Ride
11-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I used to find rubs like that back home in the Kootenays near Trail all the time. Keeps ya going back to those areas.

kutenay
11-02-2006, 09:01 AM
I am originally from Nelson, but, haved lived in various Kootenay towns and spent many years on lookouts, etc. throughout the region. My brother shot a huge bull about twenty years ago, I think my cousin Geo. Trainor has the mounted head in his office.

I would say that, over-all, and this includes working alone in the better Elk areas in AB as well as hunting on the upper Muskwa, Gatho Cr. and so forth, the largest bull Elk I have ever seen were in the W. Kootenays. But, the relative lack of good winter habitat, high predator populations and rugged, bushy country keep the numbers low and the hunting very tough.

I have found Elk there in the oddest places, but, they are usually L.E.H. and getting the tag is............(this being a family site, I better not say what I think about that!).