PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bear Poachers

geoskier
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I am up in Port McNeill working right now and there is a hunting party staying at my hotel. I thought things were a little odd so I phoned RAPP. Just curious to hear other peoples thoughts on the facts:

-4 Asian Canadians from Richmond
-1 out of 4 speaks English (can you pass the core course if you don't speak english?)
-They are in a SUV with 4 people, ie no room for meat
-When I asked them (out of curiosity) where they were going to take their meat to be cut (can't leave it in the hotel), the one english speaker was quite flustered and told me "oh just look it up in the yellow pages or the internet".... ie he did not have a local game cutter

I am not racist but I can't stand the practice of using animals for traditional medicine. When I put the facts together I can't help but think that they are after the gal bladders and nothing more. I hope I am wrong. Regardless, I phoned RAPP. Would other people do the same? Is this overdoing it? I thought it was a normal hunting party until the guy got flustered when I asked him about the meat... In my opinion it is better safe than sorry

tinhorse
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I would phone if there was ANY sort of evidence of them doing something wrong. I go hunting lots and just hang the meat by a cold creek in a shaded gully. I think you may be jumping to conclusions a little early.

Barracuda
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
your a Racist

would you ask us what we were doing in a small tracker with four people in it or our hounds in in a nissan micra bear hunting??

Jeff88
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
working in port mcniel you say ...hhmmm...sounds fishy ...i think im calling on you...better safe than sorry ....give me a break ......

Bow Walker
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
If your concerns were/are valid, then you did the right thing.

Especially if (in your mind) there is a reasonable doubt. Let the "professionals" deal with them.

Rackmastr
05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Not enough for me to call RAPP given the circumstances, but each individual has to make their own choices.

IME, There is ALWAYS room for meat (even an elk) in a small SUV. It doesnt take much room at all to put an entire bear or elk when done properly.

Either way, the phone call doesnt cost and it will be up to the RAPP guys to decide how to proceed anyways...

geoskier
05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I was asking them if they knew of somewhere to get meat cut ect... because I might stay for a day after my shift to hunt. When the guy got all sketchy and avoided the question it seemed pretty fishy to me. like I said, I didn't think anything of it until he got all sketched out. At that point the other facts started to make me wonder. I also said that I wasn't sure or not and that I played it safe and called in. Barracuda for example is jumping to conclusions or maybe he is just too much of a prick to read the whole post

Krico
05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I hunt with an suv all the time. So do buddies of mine. You can fit an entire boned out animal in a backpack so no problem getting meat to fit. For that matter I folded the seats down once and drove back to town with an entire grizzly bear (not yet caped or gutted) in the back of my suv. Took an entire can of Spot Shot to remove the blood stains from the leaky tarp. Far cheaper to drive around all season in the little suv and bring out the truck only when needed.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I think you are racist .... would you call the RAPP line on me just because me and my 3 buds are hunting in my Cherokee???? me and and my friend had 2 deer cut and packed into a trunk of an Acura integra .... would you call the Rapp line if you saw this
and yes you can pass the core if you dont speak english as long as the instrutor is willing to have a trasnslator .... If he doesnt he is setting himself up for a human rights lawsuit.

Whats wrong with traditional medicine???

Barracuda
05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I am up in Port McNeill working right now and there is a hunting party staying at my hotel. I thought things were a little odd so I phoned RAPP. Just curious to hear other peoples thoughts on the facts:

-4 Asian Canadians from Richmond - what does it matter if they are from Richmond??
-1 out of 4 speaks English (can you pass the core course if you don't speak english?) how many other languages do you speak? did you at least try french?
-They are in a SUV with 4 people, ie no room for meat - Like Jello there is always room for meat
-When I asked them (out of curiosity) where they were going to take their meat to be cut (can't leave it in the hotel), the one english speaker was quite flustered and told me "oh just look it up in the yellow pages or the internet".... ie he did not have a local game cutter - Why would they have to use a cutter?

I am not racist but I can't stand the practice of using animals for traditional medicine. When I put the facts together I can't help but think that they are after the gal bladders and nothing more. I hope I am wrong. Regardless, I phoned RAPP. Would other people do the same? Is this overdoing it? I thought it was a normal hunting party until the guy got flustered when I asked him about the meat... In my opinion it is better safe than sorry

would you have thought this if they were some good ol boys ??? :lol:

Rackmastr
05-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I was asking them if they knew of somewhere to get meat cut ect... because I might stay for a day after my shift to hunt. When the guy got all sketchy and avoided the question it seemed pretty fishy to me. like I said, I didn't think anything of it until he got all sketched out. At that point the other facts started to make me wonder. I also said that I wasn't sure or not and that I played it safe and called in. Barracuda for example is jumping to conclusions or maybe he is just too much of a prick to read the whole post

I'd get a bit sketchy if someone asked me where I was going to get my meat cut up. I dont think ANYONE other than friends has ever asked me something like that while I'm out hunting....lol

But like people have said, the decision is yours. Posting about it on the internet is kinda useless as you've already made the call based on your own opinion. No need to seek 'judgement' here IMO....

The Dawg
05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/IBTL-Shining.jpg

yukon john
05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Doesnt hurt to call it in, stereotypes exist for a reason.

Good2bCanadian
05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sure buddy didn't call cause he's racist.
He had a gut instinct and went on it.
Worst case the CO s say hi to these guys and all is good.

Best case this guys a hero and just helped all of us.

WaderGator
05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3cbKKf37Mg

tracker
05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck , its probaly a duck. :mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm sure buddy didn't call cause he's racist.
He had a gut instinct and went on it.
Worst case the CO s say hi to these guys and all is good.

Best case this guys a hero and just helped all of us.

OK ok ok ... its not racist ...... Its profiling

Barracuda
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
gawd damn Hillbilly Rednecks. :lol:

Jeff88
05-03-2012, 03:58 PM
unless you have some true evedence ,not assumptions ..dont waste the co,s time..

geoskier
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
unless you have some true evedence ,not assumptions ..dont waste the co,s time..

Fair enough. I was just concerned when the guy got all sketchy. I wasn't questioning him - I was asking him for my own benefit if there was someone in town that cut meat. Call it profiling, being racist, what have you; putting all the things together made me think of the worst case scenario. I would have asked any hunter this question if I saw one because I had been trying to find it out already. If they were caucasian I probably wouldn't have suspected the whole gal bladder thing but shit, chinese traditional medicine is the only driver behind gal bladder poaching. Would I have found it weird if they were hunting deer and had no idea where the game cutter was? No.

Jeff88
05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Fair enough. I was just concerned when the guy got all sketchy. I wasn't questioning him - I was asking him for my own benefit if there was someone in town that cut meat. Call it profiling, being racist, what have you; putting all the things together made me think of the worst case scenario. I would have asked any hunter this question if I saw one because I had been trying to find it out already. If they were caucasian I probably wouldn't have suspected the whole gal bladder thing but shit, chinese traditional medicine is the only driver behind gal bladder poaching. Would I have found it weird if they were hunting deer and had no idea where the game cutter was? No.

i work with about 15 orientals at my work ..very hard to understand a few of them ..when i approach them with a question regarding a job ..the look they give as i aproach is ..oh no,hes going to speak to me ..ill just nod and say ya to everthing he says....what im saying is they always look that way when u try to speak withj them.easpecially if they have bad english

The Dawg
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM

i work with about 15 orientals at my work ..very hard to understand a few of them ..when i approach them with a question regarding a job ..the look they give as i aproach is ..oh no,hes going to speak to me ..ill just nod and say ya to everthing he says....what im saying is they always look that way when u try to speak withj them.easpecially if they have bad english

Ummm....isnt that an assumption ? :)

Jeff88
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Ummm....isnt that an assumption ? :)

nope ....i dont assume ....

city hunter
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Fair enough. I was just concerned when the guy got all sketchy. I wasn't questioning him - I was asking him for my own benefit if there was someone in town that cut meat. Call it profiling, being racist, what have you; putting all the things together made me think of the worst case scenario. I would have asked any hunter this question if I saw one because I had been trying to find it out already. If they were caucasian I probably wouldn't have suspected the whole gal bladder thing but shit, chinese traditional medicine is the only driver behind gal bladder poaching. Would I have found it weird if they were hunting deer and had no idea where the game cutter was? No. you are racial discrimination,NO DOUBT......................

Good2bCanadian
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Who cares if it's profiling.
Cops do it all the time

05-03-2012, 04:21 PM
you are racial discrimination,NO DOUBT......................

Yea but sometimes they deserve it

Stir

steel_ram
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Only if they were East Indians, from Surrey drivings a TransAm. Burn you a Racist! ;)

The Dawg
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g4wsZgvX4dQ#!

houndogger
05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
You did the right thing. The co told me here last year to watch out for that same thing, and to phone him as soon as I could! One speaks english rest don't. The co will follow it up for sure.

NaStY
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Agreed you did the right thing here. Sounded more like profiling then racism....

NaStY
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Well it seems the guys that were hunting up that way managed to get 2 bears. Both bears are headed to a butcher in the morning. Just got a call to ask for my butchers # from a very well know fellow from this site.