PDA

View Full Version : Cowichan goslings

field marshal
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Newly hatched Canada goslings spotted at Someno's marsh this afternoon!!!:-D I couldn't get an accurate count as they were
using Momma for an umbrella during a heavy downpour!!:mrgreen: Oh well, at least it's starting!! ---Cheers--Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I've been watching the same pair on a piling on the river every couple days when I run. Should be anyday now, she's been on it a couple weeks.

The neatest thing was 2 weeks back, the goose was ontop, gander on the water 15' below. Out of nowhere another pair of geese come flying by and one lands beside the goose already ontop and starts trying to kick it off. Steal her nest site. Well ole' gander below didnt quite like that, he got up, and flew 10 feet over and then something I've never seen a goose do, but fly straight as an arrow vertically 15' and landed and forced the new intruder away. It was like the canada goose was on an elevator going straight up, worth the price of admission right there.

Though this raising river is now only 7-8 feet away now, it went about 18" in 24hrs. Another high water year.

Weatherby Fan
05-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I was in the North Arm this morning and seen a pair with 6 goslings and 2 days ago in Departure Bay 2 pairs had 15 goslings between them,so starting to see a few bunches around.

shotgunjohn
05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
There's a pair of snow geese hanging around the Cowichan Valley right now. I'm wondering if they are nesting here? Maybe we are about to have another goose population explosion?

BiG Boar
05-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Saw 7 goslings last week in Langley at a friends pond.

popsy
05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Saw 8 this am at Kal Lake

Marsh Hawk Jr.
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
the other day i saw about 10 of the little guys on the fraser.they had to be like maybe 5 days old at the most.

Cdn-Redneck
05-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Saw a bunch at Mill Lake in Abbotsford, with the bad weather I thought it was early for the little ones and a quick check of the calendar confirmed it was May already. They are getting big too!!

huntcoop
05-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I watched what looked like mom, dad and 4 or 5 babies walking down the side of the highway near Rona in Cobble Hill.

kyleklassen
05-12-2012, 09:39 AM
2 dead geese northbound lanes TCH south of hutchison rd. in cobble hill......right by old go-cart track.

huntcoop
05-12-2012, 12:26 PM
2 dead geese northbound lanes TCH south of hutchison rd. in cobble hill......right by old go-cart track.

I saw that, prolly the two I saw last night, right inthe same area, bummer.

nor'wester
05-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Seen an urban brood in newcastle channel and remarked to myself that it was starting, nice to see the first ones...they were tiny, tennis ball size, not more than a couple days old...and then less than an hour later saw another brood that were almost the size of footballs already. Must have been an early hatch for that pair!...both broods had 7 goslings.