PDA

View Full Version : Bison leh

EvanG
05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
hey iam looking to apply for a bison hunt this year and am looking for any info people can offer regarding acces and previous success or any other info you can throw my way. any info is appreciated as i wanna have an idea where to focus my attention and what to expect before i apply for the draw. we have both snow machines and quads. thanks in advance

Evan

bc kid
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
well my dad had a zone a tag about 10 years ago.that hunt lasted one day then three years ago i gought a zone b draw hunted too weeks and gought skunked,not for not seeing the big guys but just could not get close enough for a shot.did help a guy from the island drag one out on the same hunt though all im trying to say is zone a seems to be the more succesfull hunt but zone b was alot of fun seen every type of big game bc has to offer.

afors
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I say if you are interested, always enter this draw, and IF you ever get and you can't make it work you can give it back and not affect your future odds for bison. The weather changes year to year, sometimes too much snow sometimes not enough. This year I was there early December and it was fairly mild, 0 to -20. A few years ago at the same time it was -40. We planned for the worst and lightened up. Once/if you get the draw there is plenty of info out there, send me a pm if you like, I am no expert but we were succesful and I can share what I know and ther are plenty of others that know way more that are willing to share. Do a search there are plenty of posts with great info like this one : http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=Bison

ufishifish2
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Wish I knew how to delete duplicate postings.

ufishifish2
05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Early is good and so is late. Atleast you can predict which machines to take. Somewhere in the middle it gets pretty tricky.
We went in January and it was -36 when we pulled in. Made the October hunt look pretty nice!
If you get the draw feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help you more.

BiG Boar
05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
What?! You're not going to do any scouting before you get the draw? If you're going to put in for something at least scout the area... Sheesh.

EvanG
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
thanks alot guy gonna do some more research and make up my mind

tomahawk
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Been on 5 Bison hunts in the last 20 yrs, latest one was last year. Area A has more Bison (look at the LEH draws being alotted and you'll see there is many more available). The Bison at the beginning of the season are spread throughout both area's and once the shootin starts they head for the Mountains in both area's which results in most of the area B bison being pushed into area A and across the Sikanni River. As the hunts wind down and pressure lessens around the end of year the herds come back into the valleys they were in at the begining of the season as the best feed is there. last yr they were tough to find for most folks.

05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
you don't need to do any scouting for these guys, as where your from will cost u big bucks there and back. Just pic a zone, A or B, the time frame you can go, enter the draw, WIN it then do further research.

Cool hunt

CT

ufishifish2
05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
One big tip for anybody going on their first Bison hunt is where to shoot them. Their lungs seem unusually low down due to the high shoulder blades/hump on their back. Shoot low, shoot once and ruin less meat!!!
Also, while out on the trail looking for them you can almost always smell them before you see them. We found it quite effective to stop the sleds once we smelled them and go for a little walk-about!

Bisonfirst
05-04-2012, 11:00 AM
We got skunked last year in Zone B Early Oct draw. The maps the gov sends in package are good fire starter!

The Dude
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
What I have learned about Bison Hunting on HBC:

Apply.
IF you win, post thread asking for help.
Get snarky answers and some help.
Call some people that have a ranch that blocks all access to Bison.
Get no answer.
Try again.
Get no answer.
Get back on HBC and ask "Does anyone know how to get hold of ______ ? They don't answer their phone!"
Get confusing answers.
Drive up, find gate, pay exhorbitant amount of fees for access.
Drive sleds around in the cold.
Freeze your balls off and try to start frozen sleds in AM.
See Bison.
Miss Bison because gun is frozen due to coming in and out of warm cabin into ridiculous cold.
Figure out problem.
Kill Bison
Take pics.
Spend many hours cutting into manageable pieces, enlisting the help of other guys in area, some of which are HBCers.
Fix sled after it went in creek.
Pull meat toboggan out of creek.
Go home, thank God you're home.
Post EPIC thread on HBC.

Is that roughly right?
:D

tomahawk
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM

Apply.
Get no answer.
Try again.
Get no answer.
Get back on HBC and ask "Does anyone know how to get hold of ______ ? They don't answer their phone!"
Get confusing answers.
See Bison.
Miss Bison because gun is frozen due to coming in and out of warm cabin into ridiculous cold.
Figure out problem.
Kill Bison
Take pics.
Spend many hours cutting into manageable pieces, enlisting the help of other guys in area, some of which are HBCers.
Post EPIC thread on HBC.

Is that roughly right?

That just about covers all the adventure on a single hunt, each hunt is different and brings endless challenges for sure. Logistically the most challenging of hunts!!

tomahawk
05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
We got skunked last year in Zone B Early Oct draw. The maps the gov sends in package are good fire starter!

It was another tough year for zone B hunters, Bison were way back in the remotes locations very early.

GoatGuy
05-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Haven't hunted B but a few friends have. A sounds like the ticket.

scoutlt1
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Apply.
Get no answer.
Try again.
Get no answer.
Get confusing answers.
See Bison.
Figure out problem.
Kill Bison
Take pics.
Post EPIC thread on HBC.

Is that roughly right?

That sounds like what I went through getting laid for the first time! :-)

The Dude
05-04-2012, 03:32 PM
That sounds like what I went through getting laid for the first time! :-)

Except for the "Cutting into manageable pieces", Jeffrey Dalmer, that was funny as hell! :D

scoutlt1
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Except for the "Cutting into manageable pieces", Jeffrey Dalmer, that was funny as hell! :D

yea that was one part I couldn't make work! lol :-)

tomahawk
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Haven't hunted B but a few friends have. A sounds like the ticket.

Less animals, smaller general area and competition with the Guide/Outfitter make B a tough hunt. Many hunters go home having never seen an animal or track on a lot of hunts. Unless you have the notion to go where the average hunter doesnt even want to go, your chances are very slim at success on average.

GoatGuy
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Less animals, smaller general area and competition with the Guide/Outfitter make B a tough hunt. Many hunters go home having never seen an animal or track on a lot of hunts. Unless you have the notion to go where the average hunter doesnt even want to go, your chances are very slim at success on average.

Yeah, that's the way it sounds.