PDA

View Full Version : What bear parts can I not take?

trykillthis
05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I will be black bear hunting again this year and unless it is a spectacular bear, I am not interested in skinning it out to do a rug (time and $$$$). I will be taking the meat which is what I am mostly after. I have a guy I work with that does carvings with skulls and antlers, so I figure I will bring the skull out with it too.

My question is, is there anything verboten to bring out to give to him for carving? I know gall bladders are a no no, but what about claws? I don't wanna step astray of the law, but if I can give him other parts of the animal that would go to waste I will. I thought I seen something in the regs but cannot find it.

Thanks for your help.
Pat.

TESKELLY
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
BC’s Bear Parts Trade Ban
· To protect grizzly and black bears, the BC government imposed a ban on the commercial trade in certain bear parts effective February 1, 1993 which continues to be an important step toward reducing the illegal killing of these animals. Many jurisdictions in western North America have similar bans in place.
· The BC regulation forbids the possession, trafficking, importing and exporting of bear galls, including any part or derivative of the gall bladder, and genitalia. It also bans importing, exporting or trafficking in bear paws separated from the carcass or hide, although possession of bear paws is still permitted to allow for personal and ceremonial use.
· Hunters are not committing an offense if they remove the gall bladder from the carcass and leave the gall bladder at the kill site, or, if they move the bear from the kill site and they, within 48 hours, dispose of the gut pile including the gall bladder.

trykillthis
05-02-2012, 12:13 AM
So basically skull and claws OK if no financial gain.

city hunter
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
you meant that I could keep the gall bladder inside of the bear for 48 hours ( 2 days ) after I shot a bear and then dump it with gut pile anyhwere ?

bc traper
05-02-2012, 06:06 AM
The goverment sells bear skulls ar public auction

Gateholio
05-02-2012, 06:18 AM
you meant that I could keep the gall bladder inside of the bear for 48 hours ( 2 days ) after I shot a bear and then dump it with gut pile anyhwere ?

You wouldn't have much meat to eat then ;)

hunter1947
05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
If you want to take the hide paws and skull you can ,,clean the bear leave the inners where you cleaned the bear take the meat out back legs back straps ,front shoulders you are good to go you are legal..

sawmill
05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
You could get all Oriental and eat the gall bladder.Does wonders for the libido I hear.