PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting near Vancouver?

bullwanna
05-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Hey Guys and Gals, I am looking for some black bear hunting near Vancouver, any suggestions on areas? specifics are good but not necessary if you dont want to give away your secrets, but if you dont mind then please PM me some details.

twr
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
try chilliwack lake area. or harrison

rcar
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Any of the FSR areas that feed the Fraser past Hope and elevation below about 2000' will get you into bears. Later int he afternoon seems to be a good time. Do a bit of Google Earth time, pick your spot and away you go.

buck nash
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
How far do you want to drive? Squamish area has some good spots. The snow's come off a bit more in that area than it has around Hope.

MB_Boy
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
As buck nash said.....Squamish area or some of the FSR's between Squamish and Whistler would be worth a trek. Not sure about what's open or closed with respect to those roads but the higher you get past Squamish the access into some of those roads may not be too far as there is a LARGE snowpack up in Whistler this year and it hasn't been overly warm to start a huge melt.

You can head in on the road that is right at the Chief just before Squamish; the Indian River road is gated and hasn't been open in years but you can wind around quite a ways back in there if snow levels permit. There is also the Squamish Valley you can head up into and fair number of other roads.

I did see a bear on the highway just around the "big orange bridge" (BOB) which is not too far past Squamish a week or so ago.

Heading up that way is definitely going to be a much shorter commmute for you rather than heading way out the Fraser Valley.

NickS
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Chehalis lake up the West Harrison service road. Or just keep going up the Harrison East service road. Drove Harrison East all the way over to Nahatlach Lake on the Boston Bar side of the mountain last summer with some buddies. Saw plently of brown and black bears.

hillclimber
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Chehalis lake up the West Harrison service road. Or just keep going up the Harrison East service road. Drove Harrison East all the way over to Nahatlach Lake on the Boston Bar side of the mountain last summer with some buddies. Saw plently of brown and black bears.

What time of year did you do Harrison East to Boston Bar??

killer_shot
05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I would suggest that you go squamish way, look for anywhere that has power lines and just walk the roads see most in afternoons. But thats when im usually out too so...... anyways snow level is rising quickly around here and ive seen a few already.

Good Luck