PDA

View Full Version : side by side for rough hunting trails

Jamiko
05-01-2012, 12:34 AM
im looking at purchasing a side by side for hunting, wondering how it compares to quads for very rough trails. Crossing mud pits, creeks etc. Anyone used them for backcountry hunting and how is your experience using them?

swampthing
05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Side by sides are great. They dont fit through some tight spots like a quad does. They are very capable though. Put a winch on it for when you do get stuck [which is rare but happens] because you cant just jump off and push it like you can a quad. I have access to both and use the quad more as it fits in the back of my truck and the ranger needs to be trailered. The side by side excells when I am camping out with the machine as I can carry more in it for a more comfortable camp.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/bobspictures216.jpg
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy342/eberlestock/redfern015.jpg

KodiakHntr
05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
The only thing that limits you with a side by side is width and initial cost.

I've done a tonne of research on these things for work lately. Given an operator of any experince level and that person will get farther more safely on a side by.

pitbell
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Depending on the SxS they will almost always ride nicer than ATV's and are more comfortable on long rides. I have never felt handicaped on trails in mine and most of the guys we ride with are on quads. For hunting it doesn't get any better imo.

2chodi
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I've done a tonne of research on these things for work lately. Given an operator of any experince level and that person will get farther more safely on a side by.

Have you come to any conclusions re manufacturer/model?

RiverOtter
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
If you can swing, the Can-Am Commander 1000 is where it's at. Played with one last fall, and the thing is like a downsized Jeep, with the ride of a Cadillac.

Only problem I can see, is a guy would be a lot more inclined to road hunt...............:mrgreen:

bearhunter338-06
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
My self I am stuck between the Can Am 800 and the Arctic Cat 750........

I had a buddy with the Kawasaki 500 Mule, a little slow on the road but a mini tank of the road.

RiverOtter
05-01-2012, 10:25 AM
T'ween the Cat and Can-Am, no contest...every Cat I've been around was complete junk, and had nothing but problems.

Can-Am by a landslide...

KodiakHntr
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
For work we'll go yamaha. Governed so they won't do high rates of speed, locking diff, yamaha reliability.

For play or personal use, I'd be all over the 1000 Can Am Commander. But I ride a 1000Outlander and the power is addictive.

Better ride, better features, MOAR POWR.

hellojello74
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Do you guys with side by sides ever run into the weight restrictions problems? Specifically the 500kg limit in the Muskwa Kechika as almost all are over 500kg empty let alone loaded. I have always wanted to look more seriously at them but every time it seems as though that makes me hesitate as I do some hunting in the MK(usually redfern with the extended family) and would hate to not be able to use it or take the chance and do (which there seems to be lots of people who do) and get fined ect. any thoughts?
Also I have heard that the intent of restriction was to keep it to atv's only and not have trucks and jeeps in there and that the side by sides were considered atv's, if that is the case do they enforce the weight, ignore the differences or change the weight limit?

Jamiko
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Do you guys with side by sides ever run into the weight restrictions problems? Specifically the 500kg limit in the Muskwa Kechika as almost all are over 500kg empty let alone loaded. I have always wanted to look more seriously at them but every time it seems as though that makes me hesitate as I do some hunting in the MK(usually redfern with the extended family) and would hate to not be able to use it or take the chance and do (which there seems to be lots of people who do) and get fined ect. any thoughts?
Also I have heard that the intent of restriction was to keep it to atv's only and not have trucks and jeeps in there and that the side by sides were considered atv's, if that is the case do they enforce the weight, ignore the differences or change the weight limit?

Thats a good point, i didnt even think of the weight restrictions.....im also mainly interested in taking it to the MK access trails. I just checked the specs on the Can Am 1000, the dry wieght 585kg.

David
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I did some research in the past, but stuck with the ATV for cost reasons.

IMHO the Yamaha Rhino is the best for the conditions your original post laid out, as when I did my research it was the narrowest and lightest. Where I hunt height would also be an issue - have to chainsaw some overhangs for a side-by-side to get through. I wouldn't buy anything else if I was riding a lot of cut lines.

Compared to others who were hunting with me, in an apples to apples scenario (i.e. same power, tire size, etc.) for whatever reason the side-by-sides seemed to get stuck less.

2chodi
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Thats a good point, i didnt even think of the weight restrictions.....im also mainly interested in taking it to the MK access trails. I just checked the specs on the Can Am 1000, the dry wieght 585kg.

Maybe it's time to revisit that 500 kg limit. I believe it was implemented a long time ago when side-by-sides weren't common and to prevent the use of pickups etc.

Barracuda
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
i betcha there are plenty of quads with fat hunters that exceed that limit :lol:

KodiakHntr
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Pretty sure that is exactly why the weight restrictions came out, jeeps and light trucks. And in the MK, I have definately heard of guys being fined, and in at least one case seized. Heard a rumour around the seizure (year before last) that the offending unit was heli'd out.....Whether that's true or not, not something I'd likely risk. I do know a bunch of guys up here that run into Redfern on side by sides though, without issue....

I did some research in the past, but stuck with the ATV for cost reasons.

IMHO the Yamaha Rhino is the best for the conditions your original post laid out, as when I did my research it was the narrowest and lightest. Where I hunt height would also be an issue - have to chainsaw some overhangs for a side-by-side to get through. I wouldn't buy anything else if I was riding a lot of cut lines.

Compared to others who were hunting with me, in an apples to apples scenario (i.e. same power, tire size, etc.) for whatever reason the side-by-sides seemed to get stuck less.

The apples to apples you speak about, same thing I'm finding up here. As to the Rhino being the smallest and lightest, no longer the case. The Razr is a bunch smaller and possibly lighter, with a jag more horsepower. But it's not exactly a unit I'd use for hunting. Smiles and Giggles, for sure, or maybe running down elk and bull dogging them......

hellojello74
05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Maybe it's time to revisit that 500 kg limit. I believe it was implemented a long time ago when side-by-sides weren't common and to prevent the use of pickups etc.

Which dept would handle this best? MOE? Who enforces it and is any checking currently being done, does anybody know? Is the weight limit for dry/published weights or loaded weights? I have heard of wild stories of people losing equipment or being heli'ed out of the MK for going to far past trail easement, ect back in the day. I think it is an excellent idea to keep our regulations relevant, the question would remain what to move it to? I just spend a little time looking and only a few are under the weight limit most are under 600kg ( crews and diesels under 700kg)
Anyways worth while discussion

Sorry to OP if this seems like to much of a hijack, I can start new thread if you wish...

Barracuda
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
if its for the advertised weight then the ranger 500 sxs is 479 kg http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/Mid-Size-Utility-Vehicles/RANGER-500-EFI/pages/overview.aspx?WT.ac=ORV-TopNav-T2-Model-r12rh50a-2012_rgr_500_efi

big quads seem to be 300 to 350kg it seems

walnutz
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
All i have to say is.....

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt130/dnuts15/IMG_9802.jpg

I love this thing!!Goes anywhere and has more power than you can imagine! Sorry for the poor picture, its from my phone. Ive since added gun boots and some other goodies.

walnutz
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
More current photo.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt130/dnuts15/commander-1.jpg

Drillbit
05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Had a Rhino for a month. Went back to the ATV.

It wasn't for me. I figured for 1/3 of the price, I can squeeze into a nice Suzuki Sidekick, still get bounced around in the cab, and at least I can drive it right from home. Plus it has radio and heat and you don't need ear muffs to sit in it.

KodiakHntr
05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Walnutz, that the 800 or 1000?

Nice looking rig, regardless. Was at the local dealership a couple weeks ago and saw a couple guys load a 1000 Commander into what looked to be a '98 or '99 Ford Ext Cab shortbox HALF TON......Weren't much clearance around the edges.......(grin)

walnutz
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Its the 1000.

KodiakHntr
05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Nice.... Would imagine it goes fairly well if my Outtie is any indication.

waistdeep
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I have had the oppertunity to use the Can Am the Artic Cat Prowler and the Polaris RZR. I have found the CanAm is too heavy for the deep woods trails I found myself in, I found it had a heat issue as the motor is right in the middle so that turned me off as well. I found the Artic Cat was just down right unrelable and I belive a few on here that hunted with would agree, never again!! Then I bought the RZR, many said it was to small and was not the hunting rig, well I rigged my ride to suit myself and my comrades to a ride that is comfortable with heat, radio, light feeling on the trail and this thing will go and go where any quad will go. It is comfortable and a blast to bring home end of the day! I then had that ride stolen, did my research all over again and bought the RZR again. To me it the ride for hunting, just as good as it gets.

Oh yea, it also fits in the back of my truck box as well as my enclosed snowmobile trailer so i can bring it where I want with no restrictions. 50" wide will go anywhere.

Good2bCanadian
05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Do you have a picture of the rzr in the back of the truck?

beeugle
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I have had my rhino for 3 years now, I LOVE it, all around perfect, I've hauled more game in it than you would believe out of country that is rough and tough to travel in. The rhino fits in the back of my truck, I hauled it in a short box , now my long box. I can't say enough about them.. never be without one again. I have friends with the arctic cats, the razors, the polaris rangers, and all in all, for the ability to go into tight spots and still do the job incredibly, I 'll keep the rhino.... it's like anything else, some will like one better than the others, but for me, a rhino is top of the list,,,,,though I do want to look at the new john deere gators......hmmmm .....!!

waistdeep
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
nope sorry do not, but my bed is 6', on my f350 so with the tail gate down it fits perfect, wheels fit between the wheel wells.

Dhegg
08-15-2012, 09:52 AM
I've a Commander 800 XTR that is absolutly awesome. Didn't spring for the 1000 as the benifit of a little more HP over the decrease in MPG wasn't worth it to me. That being said, this thing does go anywhere my grizzly goes and hauls everything i need. Having the engine right beside me is nice when the mercury drops you stay warmer, especially with a wind shield. The best all around UTV IMHO!

dragonslayer
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
i betcha there are plenty of quads with fat hunters that exceed that limit :lol:

Good one Barracuda, definately got a belly laugh out of me

wsm
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
If you can swing, the Can-Am Commander 1000 is where it's at. Played with one last fall, and the thing is like a downsized Jeep, with the ride of a Cadillac.

Only problem I can see, is a guy would be a lot more inclined to road hunt...............:mrgreen:i have played with one a few time as a guy i know has one . river otter is 100% correct

WKCotts
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Rzr will go more places than most UTV's. Still will NOT get you to where a quad will, it's close though. All depends what type of riding you are doing.

Singleshotneeded
08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
RZR is barely wider than an ATV, narrower than the Yammie Rhino, which isn't a bad hunting-trail rig.
How's the Polaris RZR for reliability, in the past they've had some issues...and can you put a buck in the box?

KodiakHntr
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Rzr will go more places than more UTV's. Still will NOT get you to where a quad will, it's close though. All depends what type of riding you are doing.

The ONLY place where an atv beats a SxS is between tight obstacles. Period.
Hill climbs, off camber, mud, snow, embankments.... Side by's will smoke atv's. Get wedged between a couple of obstacles though and you are hooped.

lovemywinchester
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I have hunted in the Rhino quite a bit the last two seasons with two different buddies. Its a great machine. Goes up and down anything you want as well as fitting in tight spaces. My one buddy will push his through anything. We climbed a steep hill sideways with me hanging off the uphill side so we didn't tip over and it went up like nothing. I am amazed what it will do. Plus it has a heater and lots of room for all your gear and game. The best part is it doesn't beat you up at the end of the day like being on a quad. The rhyno is easy to get in and out of as well with no screens or mesh.

WKCotts
08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Hill climbs, off camber, mud, snow, embankments.... Side by's will smoke atv's. Get wedged between a couple of obstacles though and you are hooped.

what are you smoking?

RiverOtter
08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
My biggest bitch with SxS's is the amount of dust they suck into the cab on dry roads.....

wick07
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a can am commander 1000 limited. Took two months to pick it out but back country it rocks. So much power plus the air suspension is amazing. Say what you want but when it comes down to rolling in a caddy in the middle of no where you can't get much better then that. And 300 hrs and zero problems

KodiakHntr
08-16-2012, 06:36 AM
what are you smoking?

Longer wheel base. Wider stance. More suspension travel. Roll cage and a seat belt.

Put an average driver in a comparable sxs, and they'll get places that it would take an expert level atv rider to get a bike into. Have seen it time and time again.

If you remove the need for body english and ultra quick reflexes and balance and add safety features it makes everything easier.

Singleshotneeded
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

I'll agree with a SXS having an advantage in hill climbs because of the longer wheelbase, and SXS's outside of the RZR
(which is only 2" wider than the standard quad) have a bit of an advantage in off camber situations because of the wider
track. With the right tires a quad with it's lighter weight will out-perform a SXS in mud and snow, won't need trees being
sawed down because they're over or right next to a trail and the SXS can't get through, will get better range on a given
amount of gas than the SXS, and feeling good after an all day ride is pretty similar if you have a quad with power steering,
as your arms aren't being jolted by bumps and you've had to put out minimal effort to steer. The SXS does have the box
in back that lets you bring more gear, load game, and haul in firewood...so it really depends on how rough and tight the
trails are in your area.

wsm
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Hill climbs, off camber, mud, snow, embankments.... Side by's will smoke atv's. Get wedged between a couple of obstacles though and you are hooped. what kodiak says is the truth. 100%

Singleshotneeded
08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Based on what, wsm? SXS's have an advantage in off camber because they're wider, and hill climbs because
they're longer. Going through mud and snow a quad is lighter and won't sink in as much as a SXS, provided
each of them have the proper tires. It's just basic common sense and I've seen plenty of both.

KodiakHntr
08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Laughin'...

Given equal tires, a side by side will go farther.

KodiakHntr
08-16-2012, 09:49 PM
And THAT is based on first hand experience running them side by each.

mountainman
08-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Side bys are the ticket as far as I'm concerned. I run a Ranger 500, slightly bigger then a quad, hauls more, more comfortable, feels safer, climbs like a billy goat, light enough that you can winch it out of 3' of skeg, can haul an elk in the back, does 70km/hr on the road with a rear windshield no dust covers you. Can put in a heater if you wanted, stereo, lights, you name it you can put it on them. As for fitting in the back of the pick up they say they fit but I've never tried myself.

Singleshotneeded
08-18-2012, 03:02 PM
What SXS versus what quad were you testing, Kodiak? Did they use the same tires and both had diff lock 4wd?
If you're doing a comparo you need the same terrain(easy), the same tires, and the same 4wd system.

bearhunter338-06
08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on the sxs versus quad. For me and my type of hunting and recreational use the sxs out shines the quad. The sxs is a far more versatile machine. Forget about this one going farther then that one. I have seen 2 wheel drive trucks out preform 4X4 trucks and the other way around.

I have hunted in both SXS's and Quads. They both have there purposes. When choosing a quad or sxs make a list of what you want and plan to use it for. Then make a list of the pros and cons of each. Then you should be no further a-head in your decision. :-)

Singleshotneeded
08-18-2012, 03:46 PM
For hunting a SXS definitely has advantages over a quad, Burke, no argument there. You can carry your
equipment easily and then load the deer or elk/moose sections into the box. Something like a Rhino that's
not much wider than a quad, and has a proper box in the back, will take you down almost any trail a quad will
and have a box to throw your deer in to bring it back.

mountainman
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I got to throw a plug to Polaris for the 500 way cheaper then the Rhino and the same size pretty much. Mine keeps up to my buddies Rhino with no problems at all.

Barracuda
08-18-2012, 04:04 PM
for the go fast crowd that still wants the smaller size of the 500cc polaris they are now offering it in the 800 cc mid size chassis model http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/side-by-sides/ranger-800-efi-midsize-polaris-pursuit-camo/

Gateholio
08-18-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm going to get a Commander 1000. My buddy has one and it's so much more fun and enjoyable than an ATV. :)

RiverOtter
08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
The commander is in a class all by itself, and by a mile.....

KodiakHntr
08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
What SXS versus what quad were you testing, Kodiak? Did they use the same tires and both had diff lock 4wd?
If you're doing a comparo you need the same terrain(easy), the same tires, and the same 4wd system.
Having ridden with guys now who run rangers/teryx/rhino's/commanders/and razr's, and outfitted with tires from mild to wild AND tracks, against bikes of all sizes and tire configurations it is very easy to make a comparison of units.

When you can put a 15 year old kid behind the wheel of a commander or rhino who's never driven one before and point him at a mudhole where guys with 15 to 30 years of experience on all manner of machines are having to usea jag of skill to get through it's not tough to see what makes a capable machine.

When you can run a stock tired sxs through a mudhole that can stop dedicated mud bikes, it says something. Same as hill climbs. Same as sidehills. Same as snow.

Take a guy who KNOWS how to ride an atv and put him in a sxs, and be prepared to have your mind blown as to what they can do......

Jagermeister
08-19-2012, 12:47 PM
If the sXs doesn't have a heater, it ain't worth a piece of coons#&t. Long live Suzuki Samurai.

Barracuda
08-19-2012, 12:52 PM
you will find the guys that blew the budget on a quad will always have a hard time accepting that a SXS will go as many places or that an off road bike will go everywhere a quad goes :lol:

Jagermeister
08-19-2012, 12:59 PM
you will find the guys that blew the budget on a quad will always have a hard time accepting that a SXS will go as many places or that an off road bike will go everywhere a quad goes :lol:2 wheels will go where a quad goes, but it is in your dreams that a sXs will go where a quad can. First sidehill traverse will park the sXs on it's lid. sXs' are for the family dude at the mud bogs at the ATV park. And you should not be mudbogging anywhere else but the park.

KodiakHntr
08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
First sidehill traverse will park the sXs on it's lid.

*sigh*..... can always tell which guys are forced to guess about stuff.

ryan_jess
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Thumbs up to the Can-Am Commander. I own the 1000 and love it! Great for hunting.

Singleshotneeded
08-20-2012, 11:18 PM
So which SXS's performed the best in the mud and technical stuff, Kodiak? I know a couple of guys
with Rhinos, and they're pretty happy with them.

KodiakHntr
08-21-2012, 06:37 AM
The rhino's did really well, especially the ones that had the governer removed. The locking front diff is a great addition. The razr's do well, due to wheel spin in mud, and narrow width in tight areas. The commanders do fantastically well due to huge power, locking diff, long suspension travel, low gravity.....

It would be almost impossible to go wrong with any of the machines from one of the big three players, if a guy can decide what he wants to do with one.

The one machine that surprises me though, is the 4 seater Polaris Razr (and I'm not a fan of anything polaris).... That long wheel base and power delivery, impressive. Almost as nice as a Commander......(grin). Watched a guy climb out of a creek bed where the trail was washed out. Not many guys can get an atv up a 4' high undercut vertical bank.........

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
The Rhinos are fairly narrow, so they can get down the trails well...the Commander is definitely the cream of the crop,
but aren't they pretty damned wide? I'd hate to buy something that requires a lot of chain sawing so I could get it
down a trail... I don't trust Polaris engineering and reliability in the long run, so I'd definitely not get the Rzr...
I'll have to measure a few trails and compare them to the Commander...if it's too wide I'll remove the governor
from a Rhino and hop up the engine a bit...

KodiakHntr
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Commander width, 58.6".....Rhino width, 54.4"......Not a huge difference there.

And a Commander will still fit in the box of a pickup. We aren't talking feet of difference here. HOWEVER, the price difference between the two buys a guy a lot of upgrades on a rhino.......

waistdeep
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Ridden Polaris products all my life andhave no idea why I would buy anything else, so many comments about this is better than that, I don't know, they are awesome in my book. And anyone that has ever hunted or sleds with me know I don't get pulled often if ever.

RiverOtter
08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Never owned a Rhino, but know 4 different guys with 700's, and everyone of them is low on power and big on fuel consumption. 1 guy traded up to a Commander 1000 last year and was blown away that it burned noticeably less fuel per day than his Rhino.

walnutz
08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
I too own a commander 1000 and was shocked to hell when i realized how little fuel this thing actually burns for a 1000cc motor. Overall im very impressed with this sxs!! The price was the only thing that stung:shock:

pitbell
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Mine will be here in a week.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/gator_utility_vehicles/recreational_utility_vehicles/850i_trail/rsx850i_trail.page?#viewTabs

walnutz
08-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Thats pretty cool looking! Havent seen a JD one before, Price seems good also! Let us know how she does. CHeers

firstshot
08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Better upgrade the muffler on the JD because they are noticeably loud.

Singleshotneeded
08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
The Commander is also available in 800cc, I wonder if that gives you much more range per tank than a 1000cc?
Anyone know the difference?
You can buy a Commander in Oregon, combine the purchase with a bit of a holiday, and get a low price with no state sales tax.
Any of you that are sick of Bombardier bending over other Canadians on price might look into that...best price on my Suzuki KQuad
in Canada was $9500 in 2007, I got mine in Bellingham(before they started charging Canucks their state tax) for $6500, WITH heated
grips and thumb, as well as full aluminum armour underneath! :-) Pitbell, that JD looks great, if it's a bit loud you can get a muffler that really makes it quieter without hurting the performance at Cabelas...enjoy! :-)

jikjak
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
awesome! how much do u save by buying the commander in oregon and what taxes do you have to pay when bringing it back to canada?
im glad i saw this thread, ive been eyeing the commander 1000 limited for a while and was starting to consider the outlander but now i definitely want to stick to the sxs.

hawkdog
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
ever consider just buying a worked over yota? 7000 will get you one that will go more places than a side by side and you can drive it from your driveway.

Barracuda
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
. no matter how much you work over a toyota it will never compare to a SXS a quad or a bike

Singleshotneeded
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Well I saved $3000 on a quad that retailed for $9500 here in Canada, and more like $4000
if you factor in they installed heated grips and thumb, as well as full aluminum armour.
I'd guess you'd save at least $5000 on a Commander 1000, and at the border you'll
just have to pay the same sales taxes you'd pay buying it from a BC dealer, plus a
small RIV fee...you have to take it to Cdn Tire within 30 days of importing for them to
confirm the VIN...just a wee tax grab. You can get the exact info by googling the Can-Am
dealer in Portland, Oregon, and calling them up and asking them the price, and if they
have a little wiggle room on a cash deal. They should give you a break, as they'd be out
some 2% if you just threw the Commander on your credit card, like I did with the quad.
SK Northwest in Portland, number (503) 238-2510. I was bored, so I called and asked them
what I'd be looking at for a Commander 1000, base and XT, the guy said he's selling them for
$12,000 base, and $14,000 for the XT. How does that compare to our prices here?

Singleshotneeded
08-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Well Jikjak, I made a call for you and Banner Recreation in Kelowna wants $15,600 for the base model (DPS)
and $17,400 for the XT. So you'd be saving $3600 on the DPS, and $3400 on the XT. Not as much a diff
between Canada and the US as there was when I bought my quad in 2007, but still worth it if you bring a
trailer down, drop it off at the dealer, and then holiday a bit, and grab your new toy on the way home.
You'll need to get a form stating there's no recalls outstanding on the machine for Canada Customs, and you'll
need to ring US Customs and ask for a vehicle import form, which they fax/email to you, you fill it out and send it
back. You need to do that 3 business days before you bring the new toy to the border. US Customs checks your VIN
and papers when you come back, then send you to Canada. They get their taxes and RIV fee, and you're done.

jikjak
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
wow awesome, thanks for the information. i guess it would still be worth the drive since its like a mini road trip. another bonus right now is that the cad dollar is a little bit stronger as well so thats a little more extra savings as well.

Singleshotneeded
08-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Of course, you're also saving the $400 odd dollars in tax on that $3400 you're saving, so it's $3800 less for the XT.
Yeah, I'd make it a bit of a holiday and see the caves and Crater Lake while you're down there...btw, if you opt for
the 800cc engine, besides having a longer range on a tank you'll save about $2,000 on the prices for the 1000.
When you consider the Commander 800 has 71 hp, basically twice the 36 hp of the Yammie Rhino, do you really
need the 1000?

jikjak
08-29-2012, 01:56 PM
i figure that if im going to put the money into one of these things then i may as well go for the limited and just hang on to it for a long time.
i called over to the dealer in portland and they said about $18k for the 2012 limited and so far i got him down to $19600 for the 2013 limited.
could be some more wiggle room too when the time comes.

stoneguide
08-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I currently run a 500 Polaris Ranger, and will be picking up a new 800 this winter. The Can Am is nice for sure but for what I do it is undersized. We haul large camps in for a min of 3-4 people and haul moose and elk plus the camps out with ours and I love having over twice the payload than the Can Am with the same weight of machine as well as a higher towing capacity than the Can Am. As well I have two sons that travel with me and we can go on trips that with the Can Am would require a second machine but with the ranger and its 3 people seating we can just run a single machine. As for comparing a Side by Side to a quad well they will go identicle places if driven right. Each will need to be winched on occasion and yes the side by side may be wider but there are very few trails that are quad only anymore so most have been widened already and if not there is a tone of room in the back for a saw, Many mud holes are actually easier on the wider machines as you arent in the quad ruts and has been lots of times ive gone through stuff that a quad is planted in. We have a cab and a heater as well as a radio in my buddies that we use cat hunting so have every comfort you can get in an offroad vehicle.

And yep they fit fine in a regular short box!!
]http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN4681.JPG

nap
08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
This is what we ride, no decisions to be made!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/what_we_ride.jpg

REMINGTON JIM
08-29-2012, 08:13 PM
This is what we ride, no decisions to be made!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/what_we_ride.jpg

Very nice FLEET of Can Ams ! :shock: :smile: RJ

nap
08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Its who we are.

REMINGTON JIM
08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Its who we are.

LMAO ! :smile: RJ