PDA

View Full Version : Best Frame Packs

untilthelastbeat
04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
im looking for names and brands of all your favorite fame packs. im looking for a good size pack but not massive as il be using it for day trips as well. although im looking for the happy medium as i want to start getting into backpack hunts for sheep and goats or mule deer. right now my favorite is the badlands ox. but havnt realy checked out many others. id like it to be a good pack but also be able to take the pack off and just use it as a packboard. thanks guys

hellojello74
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
look in hunting gear sub forum
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-Hunting-Gear

swampthing
04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Your ox is probably ideal for what you are describing.

pappy
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I have one from cabelas, it squeaks when loaded around 60 pounds or more. I had it loaded at 57 lbs on my last backpack hunt and it didn't make a sound. I wouldn't buy another one in that style. I hunted with a guy who had a tatonka frame for his set up, I liked it and would consider having a look at them if I were to buy another. The bag from my cabelas set up has kept everything dry and been good in all the storms that I have been caught in.

lorneparker1
04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Buy a Kifuaru T2 and you will never have to buy another pack again.

Lorne

RHkootenay
04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Kifaru Duplex Timberline

300wsmXboltKiller
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
luvin my eberlestock dragonfly

Ry151
05-01-2012, 01:31 AM
I have one from cabelas, it squeaks when loaded around 60 pounds or more. I had it loaded at 57 lbs on my last backpack hunt and it didn't make a sound. I wouldn't buy another one in that style. I hunted with a guy who had a tatonka frame for his set up, I liked it and would consider having a look at them if I were to buy another. The bag from my cabelas set up has kept everything dry and been good in all the storms that I have been caught in.
X2 for the tatonka pack, looks heavy but it isn't and it's solid

pickaspot
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Mystery Ranch 6500! They've taken their roots in designing packs for the US Military and applied those designs to hunting-specific packs.

Absolutely bombproof... but if you somehow manage to break it you're covered by a LIFETIME warranty.

IMO, many packs are great for backpacking, but I've yet to use a pack that makes 100+ lbs. feel "manageable". My 6500 does.

Weatherby Fan
05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Mystery Ranch 6500! They've taken their roots in designing packs for the US Military and applied those designs to hunting-specific packs.

Absolutely bombproof... but if you somehow manage to break it you're covered by a LIFETIME warranty.

IMO, many packs are great for backpacking, but I've yet to use a pack that makes 100+ lbs. feel "manageable". My 6500 does.

I will say the MR Nice frame is is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn,the other nice thing about the frame is the versatility from the load sling, crewcab daypack, wolf bag,6500,7500.....I have a wolf bag I use as my daypack and recently bought another Nice frame and 6500 bag on Ebay for a screaming deal couldn't say no.

But out of respect to the OP "Best Frame Packs" I also have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Outfitters pack and bag although a little big for a daypack,its very comfortable and the frame is very well constructed,lots of pockets,rifle sling and has a built in waterproof fly to cover the whole pack,very similar to the look of the Barney.
On a slightly smaller version I have an original Coleman Peak 1 Dwight Schue Fleece pack an a very sturdy Nylon frame which I used for the last 20 yrs and is still in perfect condition and wouldn't hesitate to use for a night or 2,it's very well thought out,and quiet.

Brett
05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
MR Nice frame....

Ltbullken
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
TATONKA dude!

Drop_Tine
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I would say start with the Mystery ranch " nice" frame with the crew cab .. Its a great day pack , as you get going on exstended hunt buy the mystery ranch 6500 or 7500 bags and use it with the nice frame they are ment to switch back and forth between the diff mystery ranch packs available !! Plus i doubt you will ever brake it , like stated above lifetime warranty ... U get what u pay for ... Do it right and buy tbe mystery ranch !!
My 0.2 cents

BromBones
05-02-2012, 07:22 AM
The OX pack will do the job for you. The bag will slim down enough for day hikes, or you can load 10 days worth of shit in it and go. I've carried some 100lb + loads of meat on it and it's pretty nice (as far as 100 lb loads go). Awesome warranty as well.

b.rockburn
05-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I just got my Badlands OX Frame Pack off of camofire and I love it. Seats really well for my body type and there's more room in that thing than I know what to do with.

BackPackHunter
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
You cant go wrong with the Mystery Ranch Nice frame. If you want to keep cost down, just buy the 6500, it can be used on the extended trips or just a day pack, it has lots of shinch straps to make it smaller. Its what I take from 1 day to 20 days...
(Haven't done 20 yet, but upgraded a lot of gear this year, so I now have a lot more room for food...)

Skinny
05-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry this is not on topic but i cant start a thread to ask this question because i cant find the start new thread button?? my posting permissions says i can. help

SR80
05-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Just wondering, for the guys that have ordered the mystery ranch packs from their website. How much extra costs, shipping, duty etc get tacked onto the price, say for the 6500 thats roughly $650 american. Thanks.

RiverOtter
05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
They're built in USA, so according to "FREE TRADE", there should be NO Duty. Shipping is $130 IIRC, as they only ship using one method so the order can be tracked in entirety, instead of just to the US/Can border.

Slee
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
They're built in USA, so according to "FREE TRADE", there should be NO Duty. Shipping is $130 IIRC, as they only ship using one method so the order can be tracked in entirety, instead of just to the US/Can border.

If you order your pack over the phone they will ship it USPS, around $50. No duty, and if your lucky the post office might not charge the tax.

ytlogger
05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
my Wilderness Wanderer served me well for quite a few years.

RiverOtter
05-04-2012, 07:24 AM
my Wilderness Wanderer served me well for quite a few years.

So did my "Trapper Nelson", right up until I shouldered a real pack......:-D

bigwhiteys
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Just wondering, for the guys that have ordered the mystery ranch packs from their website. How much extra costs, shipping, duty etc get tacked onto the price, say for the 6500 thats roughly $650 american. Thanks.

You can ask for USPS shipping and like Slee said it comes out to around $50... ($54 I think is what mine cost). Took about 2 weeks. Taxes are hit and miss with Canada Post, very inconsistent.

Weatherby Fan
05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
So did my "Trapper Nelson", right up until I shouldered a real pack......:-D

Lmao that's to funny as my older brother and I had a "Trapper Nelson" pack board when we were teenagers, we thought we were hip with that baby until we had some weight on it ! The only thing I liked about it after that was the name !

RiverOtter
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Funny how stuff is "Good", until you got something better to compare it too.......:-D

Currently going through my hiking gear from the 90's, for a backpack trip this fall. The gear was state of the art and pricey when I bought it, but looks like something out of a time capsule beside the gear I've replaced it with. Can only imagine what's in store for us 10-15 years from now....

Bisonfirst
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Funny how stuff is "Good", until you got something better to compare it too.......:-D

Currently going through my hiking gear from the 90's, for a backpack trip this fall. The gear was state of the art and pricey when I bought it, but looks like something out of a time capsule beside the gear I've replaced it with. Can only imagine what's in store for us 10-15 years from now....

No kidding. I'm in same boat. My thermarest looks like it was found on the Titanic compared to what I just got!

RiverOtter
05-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I can't afford to even think about looking at a new Thermy right now, as I'm still recovering from my Jet Boil, Sil tarp, and UL down sleeping bag "Spree"......:-?

Mystery Ranch and Hilleberg is gonna hurt me bad too, I just know it........:mrgreen: