PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for my bow

mikeboehm
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Thinking about changing my sight and rest on my pse omen pro. Right now i havea truglo micro adjust 5pin on it and a whisker biscuit rest.

Im looking at buying a spot hogg hunter 5 or 7 and a ripcord code red rest. What are your thoughts on these products

The Dawg
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey check this out ! ;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?78590-NIB-Quiktune-RH-Sizzor-Rest

Lozzie
04-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Just ordered my ripcord and a few other goodies from bowhunterssuperstore.com hard to beat the $69 price and only $10 shipping. I don't mind the biscuit but I'm losing a lot of fletches from it and its getting pretty trashed from the amount of shooting I've been doing. Everybody I know that has the ripcord loves it, you just have set it up right and have it served well. Good luck.:)

Thinking about changing my sight and rest on my pse omen pro. Right now i havea truglo micro adjust 5pin on it and a whisker biscuit rest.

Im looking at buying a spot hogg hunter 5 or 7 and a ripcord code red rest. What are your thoughts on these products

fozzy
04-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Bowzone Mikey has a Spott Hogg 7pin sight for sale http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81389-Archery-Items-For-sale

allan
04-30-2012, 04:58 AM
I use a Spot Hogg 7 Deadly pins sight, and a QAD Ultra Pro rest, I had upgraded from a three pin PSE and wisker buiscuit. The sight I would never give up. The wisker buiscuit was good, I just want to try differnt vanes, heilical and such and wanted a drop away.

Ruger4
04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
replaced Ripcord with the PSE Phantom (on my Omen )

TheProvider
04-30-2012, 07:35 AM
spott hogg 7pin...... plenty of great rests, qad unltra rest, ripcord, apache, trophy taker.... I'd prefer, full containment, drop away with the ability to lock it in position as I do most spot and stalk and still hunting. I don't want the arrow to be avaible to move.

Wild one
04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I use a trophy taker smackdown rest and 5 pin viper brand sights and I am very happy with both. I abuse my gear and both of these take the beating and perform great.

Spot hogg and viper are both very durable but the price is better on vipers if you can find them. I have wrecked a lot of sights over 18 years and a lot of them I was told were tough but failed.

The only rests I have found that take my abuse is the smackdown and whisker biscuit but there are many I have not tried.

If you want reliable I stand by what I use now but that does not mean there are not other options that would suite your needs

Bow Walker
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Two thoughts on your choices - both about the speed of your bow. Omen's are fast - so my concern with a 7-pin sight would be the pin spacing or gap. I think that the 7 pins would be pretty bunched up with very little space between them. That'd be pretty hard to quickly pick the correct pin for the yardage.

The other issue would be with the sight. I've heard and read that the Ripcord can be pretty tough to make work properly on a bow that's fast. It doesn't drop away fast enough - sometimes. Other people have no problems, but some do.

If those thoughts or issues are no problem for you then those two products are from great companies. Spot Hoggs are one of (if not the) best sights out there. QAD rests are great. Buy with confidence.

Ike
04-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I use a trophy taker smackdown rest and 5 pin viper brand sights and I am very happy with both. I abuse my gear and both of these take the beating and perform great.

Spot hogg and viper are both very durable but the price is better on vipers if you can find them. I have wrecked a lot of sights over 18 years and a lot of them I was told were tough but failed.

The only rests I have found that take my abuse is the smackdown and whisker biscuit but there are many I have not tried.

If you want reliable I stand by what I use now but that does not mean there are not other options that would suite your needs

Mike,
Ripcord Red works great on fast short bh bows, I have it on my APA King Cobra and it is solid, simple, easily tuned and works everytime

The Trophy Taker Smackdown is a great rest but IME you need to consider brace height when you choose your rest. I tried a Trophy Taker Smackdown FC on my APA King Cobra (5 1/16" bh) and no matter what I did I could not make it fall fast enough to clear my Blazers. I might just be dumb but couldn't make it work physically on the short bh bow.
I really like the G5 rest too, but the arrow is not captured if you want full containment

Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Mike ... the Code red is an excellent rest ... and offers the option of full containment as well ... I like it ....

A horny speed bow like yours ... I wouldnt even consider a 7 pin sight as the the gaps will be so close that you wont see much through the sight picture ..... Have a close look at the HHA sights ... I hunt with an HHA 5519 and now will never hunt with a multi pin sight ever again
http://www.hhasports.com/

Bow Walker
04-30-2012, 11:22 AM
If we're recommending sights - I'll chime in with a Spot Hogg (love them) and one that has no more than 4 pins. A fast bow like that - your first pin should be good out to something like 30+ yards. If I remember right Eagle1 was telling me that his first pin was good out to 40 yards............

mikeboehm
04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes im problably going with the code red sight. I use fusion vanes with a 3 degree helical. I was at the 3d shoot in poco yesturday and with my new gold tip arrow the vane were coming off like crazy. Im using the recommended super glue. I love the gold tip arrows. There strong. My only complaint is the shitty nocks. I broke 8 of the 12 nocks off hitting the foam. I heard from alot of people the that goldtip nocks are junk. Any recommendations on nocks

Ruger4
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
replaced Ripcord with the PSE Phantom (on my Omen )
ripcord wouldnt drop away fast enough

StoneChaser
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Personally I like the QAD Ultrarest HDX over the Code Red (owned 'em both) due to the full containment upon letdown offered by the QAD.

As for sights, I don`t think you`ll find more sight for the dollar than Montana Black Gold sights.

I just put a 5 pin MBG Ascent (slider) on one of my bows and and have it dailed in on the Rhino Ball out to 100 yds (great for working on form).

igojuone
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I've got the Rip Cord Red on my APA King Cobra and no problems, works great and I'm using a Optix 4 pin, the 4th pin is floating so I've labeled it with a 50, 60 and 70 yard marks.
I scored over 300 at the Summerland 3D event, not bad for only my second 3D event. IMHO

donny.brooke
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
have you had a look at the limbdriver pro-v rest its also a good choice, it wont put any strain on your control cable at full draw as a ripcord or qad will, have a look at the blackgold vengeance sights also