PDA

View Full Version : big buck contest around Prince George?????

yugo111
04-29-2012, 06:06 PM
does anyone know who does the big buck contest around Prince George and if there is one this year happening?

swampthing
04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
I didnt even know they had one here.

lightmag
04-30-2012, 08:14 AM
??? i know groups on friends/people that do them but nothing offical that i know of? that being said id love to be involved with one with a bunch of people from here in PG?? then do an end of year barbq/scoring party ?? any interest

moosinaround
04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Only problem is that there are no big bucks around Prince George!! They are all down in Clearwater and the Kooteneys!!;) Moosin

pitbell
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Only problem is that there are no big bucks around Prince George

My thoughts exactly! LOL.

swampthing
05-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Maybe we should have a bbq and discuss where the bucks are around pg.

tinhorse
05-01-2012, 07:21 AM
They used to have one up at the old store that is now a gas station on cheif lake rd. I won the last one they held back in 2001 or 2002? Got to keep the trophy. There are some impressive scoring deer on that trophy. Mine only went 184.

BCrams
05-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Some of the biggest mule deer and white-tailed deer are east of town between Dome Creek and Goat River from down low along Fraser up to the alpine on south side of highway. That would be my no. 1 choice if I wanted a chance at a huge deer while seeing very few.

Anywhere along the Fraser River from the park about half way down to Blackwater from PG through to Blackwater on both sides. Need to put an effort to get to where the bucks are given the amount of pressure there is. 2 years ago still hunting 3 km back off one of the most popular cut blocks, I found a couple big bucks I couldn't get the drop on given all the does that were jumping from their beds first.

Cobb Lake / Isle Pierre along Nechako is a sleeper for good mulies.

White-tailed deer is getting to be hot anywhere east of town right within city limits through to Willow River and down along east side of Fraser (between river and Tabor Mountain) and the Salmon area produces nice white-tails through to vicinity of North Fraser Road.

Love the North Nechako. Those mule deer are smart given the amount of traffic that runs through there but always see a decent 160 class buck every other time.

Hixon / Whites Landing area.

Everyone knows all those areas and it is a matter of picking an area, getting to know it and putting the time in.

barry1974w
05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Is there any way we can black out BCrams post????? LOL I hunt all those spots, same as everybody else....

swampthing
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the good info bcrams. I am onto these areas but havent put much time into them. I am still trying to find the sagebrush country around pg so I can feel at home. I have been trying to find some north nechako 160 sheds but the jungle of bush around here doesnt make it much fun.

Jamiko
05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
seen a couple of huge muley's ~ 20mins east of mcbride, one i thought was an elk at first lol. Other than that closest huge bucks ive seen to PG were at Hudsons Hope. Then again i dont travel south to hunt.

pete_k
07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Some nice muley's between Williams Lake and Quesnel