PDA

View Full Version : After The Shot- Tracking/Blood Trailing

TheProvider
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
We've all heard lots of stories of people shooting at an animal then not finding any blood near the area it was shot so they figure they missed. Or people trailing a skimpy blood trail for hours before being rewarded with their animal. So I thought I'd ask other members what they do after the "shot."

In my opinion peoples tracking skills and specially their blood trailing skills are getting poor. Yes it is tempting to run up a head after the shot to try and see your animal go down but at the same time you good be trampling over a small precious blood trail.

Personally this is what I do...

#1 Right after the shot I listen for a few minutes to see if I hear the animal go down, which way its crashing through the bush etc etc
#2 I take note of 2 different landmarks marking where I last saw the animal.
#3 I take note of 2 different landmarks marking where the animal was standing at the shot.
#4 I drop my jacket or pack on the ground exactly where I'm standing at the shot.
#5 I move ahead to where the animal was at the shot. Looking for blood, cut hair from the arrow or bullet, and tracks. Once I confirm the spot where the animal was at the shot I'll normally hang up flagging tape on a branch or bush.
#6 I'll scan the area ahead where I figure the animal headed with my binos in hopes of seeing it down.
#7 I look for a blood trail and follow it for a few yards and then mark it with ribbon. At this time if I was bowhunting I'd go back to get my arrow if it was a pass through. ALso this is where I'll wait 12-30mins depending on how I feel about the shot. If a poor shot then take longer.
#8 I start following the blood trail again. Always to the left or right of it as I don't wanna trample over it incase it thins out. Follow to the animal. If the blood trail is poor I'll hang up ribbon every 10-20yrds.
#9 Find animal. To calm down a little I'll go back for my pack and pick up all the ribbon.

BromBones
04-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I just drill 'em with the old 45/70 and never have to bother looking. ;)

Actually only ever had a few times where the critter I shot wasn't down within 15-20 yards of where it was standing, and I had to do some looking. If I dont see anything obvious right away, I tell the dog to get after it, and within a couple minutes he's found the critter.

yukon john
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Heres last years thread lots of good replies http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?67182-wounding-missing-bears&highlight=wounding

yukon john
04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Biggest thing I can say is that too many guys ''miss'' bears if you can hit a dinner plate in practice you arent going to miss a garbage can sized bear. The often dont flinch, bleed, jump etc. you owe it to the animal to spend the time and look for it.

elkdom
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I go look where it was standing when I squeezed the trigger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's where they are laying dead.

Weatherby Fan
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Well thats why I shoot a Weatherby Cartridge............drops em in their tracks,no tracking needed.
"Nothing shoots flatter-hits harder-or is more accurate then a Weatherby Cartridge" :mrgreen:

Thank you and RIP Roy Weatherby
WF

elkdom
04-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Biggest thing I can say is that too many guys ''miss'' bears if you can hit a dinner plate in practice you arent going to miss a garbage can sized bear. The often dont flinch, bleed, jump etc. you owe it to the animal to spend the time and look for it.

excellent analogy !,,,,,,,, exactly how I view bears, " A GARBAGE CAN with 4 LEGS "

Bow Walker
04-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Not too apropos to gun-hunting but - If the blood trail peters out a bit and you're not sure....try using a spray bottle (small portable one) to spray suspect spots. If it's blood it will immediately start to foam.

Nice handy way not lose a blood trail.

Shooter
04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Not too apropos to gun-hunting but - If the blood trail peters out a bit and you're not sure....try using a spray bottle (small portable one) to spray suspect spots. If it's blood it will immediately start to foam.

Nice handy way not lose a blood trail.

To clarify I am sure you mean a spray bottle with peroxide in it.

Bow Walker
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
OOOPS.....my bad. Yup Peroxide in a spray bottle. Works like a hot damn.

quadrakid
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Good subject to bring up once in awhile. I,m sure it helps out lots of new hunters who don,t have alot of experience. Try tracking a scant blood trail in the jungles of the coast,very tough. It really helps if you know the area like the back of your hand. Knowing all the main deer trails can really help.They often head downhill and often to water but sometimes they will do just the opposite.

Cami
04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
i gotta say. I m pretty new in the hunting community in canada but i grew up hunting in Austria.
If we find any signs of a hit ( blood , hair and so on ) we have to track it down no matter what.
My cousine is a dog handler and he had to track down a dow for 3 days with his bavarian hound. we got it in the end had a leg shot of, its unbelievable how fare they can go.
I think it has something to do with money like allways its expencive to hunt in euro so people care more. I think some people think its like loosing 20$ u look for them for a bit but don't really care if you don't find it- its just 20$
And i don't think that there are many hunters out there who don't have a buddy with a dog to help em find the wounded game.
A dog can be the best tool for any hunter not just for birds or cats.

Jelvis
04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
If you get on a deer track of a wounded deer a person can out walk a deer if you keep following, the deer will get tired and out of breath.

Cami
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
yeah that can work some times but if you just grassed it on the back they can go for ever... and u not gonna out walk that one.
thats when u need a dog

Bow Walker
04-29-2012, 07:51 PM
If you get on a deer track of a wounded deer a person can out walk a deer if you keep following, the deer will get tired and out of breath.

Really depends on where that deer was hit in the first place Jelly.............

MOOSE MILK
04-29-2012, 07:59 PM
I use tiolet paper to mark every spot of blood if it is getting spotty, I stick it on branches about sholder high. When you can not find any more blood look back at your back track you can see the toilet paper trail idicating the direction that the animal seemed to be traveling and you search in the perceved direction usually you will find more and if you don't start a small circle at the last sighting and widen it out till you find more. No need to remove the paper as the rain will do it for you.

Jelvis
04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
I like using toilet paper too, it shows up real good and hangs and moves in the slight wind. Not only that it will eventually go back into the environment.
Deer don't have sweat glands, they cool down by breathing and panting like a dog, they can only go so far then they have to stop. That's why wolves will relay an animal.
Let the animal have a short waiting period before chasing it after it's wounded. It will lie down and stiffen up a bit.
Go slow after a thirty minute wait.
Where and how bad it's hit will also vary the speed and distance you will have to go to catch up.

Jelvis
04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
If by chance you follow and it gets too dark, go back the next morning early to the exact spot where you left off, then figure out what direction the deer is going and or find the nearest water source, a deer get's fevered up when wounded and dehydrated real quick and will be thirsty beyond belief. Listen also for ravens they will be on a dead deer real fast.
Hunting in snow will really be to the hunters advantage in cases where a deer is fatally wounded. A hunter can follow the deer as long as he wants and can use a flashlight to find the animal if it's suffering real bad.

hunter1947
04-30-2012, 03:07 AM
After the shot if the animal runs off I watch what direction the animal went ,I then wait for about 10 min pick out a land mark where I had shot at this animal then I go right to where I had shot this animal I look for blood and hair if no hair or blood I will pick up on the tracks as I follow the tracks I will tie toilet paper every so often where I see the tracks or blood I will keep going till I find the animal ,if I have not found blood after 1 hour of tracking this animal then it probably was a miss on the animal.

Last year I shot a bull elk in the hart at about 300 yards he took off like grease lightning I thought I had not hit him when i got up to where I had shot him no hair no blood ,no blood trail I followed his tracks no blood after 150 yard i found him pilled up laying dead on the ground..

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Use dog nose.

Phreddy
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Well Provider, from what you described as your method you should, if you haven't already, join your local ground search and rescue team and take advantage of the opportunities they offer for training by the BC Trackers Association. Sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on the process and the training weekends provide some excellent opportunities to enhance the process. If you already belong, hope to see you at the exercise Princeton SAR is hosting in two weeks.

Jelvis
04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
We all know or have experienced that even the best shooter on a bench and sand bagz @ the shooting range might get fevered up a bit when he or she sees that big four point muley staring, looking right at you, eighty yards away and twitchin his big ears and laying them back, like he's going to go real soon.
So get a rest on a limb or go prone if yah can, and if yah can, as quick and as fast as you can, if yah can see the buck from the ground and place cross hairs low behind the front shoulder just behind where the bucks front leg on top bends and pull the trigger, POW! WOW, wow, wow, the shot echoing off the distant canyon. :) The buck kicks it's back heels high like a buckin bronco and takes off running like a scared rabbit over the hill, and out of your sight. Now what? You got it. Don't
Blow It!

Jelvis
05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
If you are an avid meat hunter and experienced in meat processing a wild animal for the family table you appreciate a killing shot, BAM! Clean kill, means cleaner venison also. If your hunting strictly to get that wild organic venison to enjoy eating it in pepperoni and other selected sausages or deer chops and tenderloins. Wham!
The taste buds going wild on your tung. lol.
Shoot the animal when it doesn't even know you are aiming to shoot it. It's relaxed and not tensed up, making for good relaxed meat. Take an antlerless or a young buck around two years old for the best meat you can find any where.
Now, the shooting and hitting part with your high powered rifle. Take extreme care when in position to shoot, get a good solid rest for your gun to lay on, aim at a spot in the vitals where it won't angle through the wrong way, into the gut, it goes straight through the front side into the other taking the heart out, it bleeds itself out in side and comes out when you open it up and spill the blood on the earth.
Deer goes down and out, no running, no suffering, and no getting all hot and bloated as it runs away after being wounded, shot through the guts that have been spewing out of the gaping paunch shot hole, green stomach acid juice (ecoli) dripping out of it's torn belly.
No. If your shooting for the venison supreme and not just after a huge trophy buck, take exceptional actions.
Not a hail mary, or a running shot, that's for a monster moving out and it's now or never and you aim, follow through and lead a bit and tap that trigger, POW! It's like Rocket Richard said, " If you don't shoot you won't score."
You have a need to show and share with others, the best way to acquire top quality organic venison for on the feast table

swampthing
05-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Well thats why I shoot a Weatherby Cartridge............drops em in their tracks,no tracking needed.
"Nothing shoots flatter-hits harder-or is more accurate then a Weatherby Cartridge" :mrgreen:

Thank you and RIP Roy Weatherby
WF

You know it.

Jelvis
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Always remember this, after you shoot a deer and it runs off, mark the spot your standing when you let fly.
Toilet paper hang over and then look at the spot where the deer was when you shot, go there. Mark it.
Look for animal and signs of a fatal hit. Blood, foam, clump of deer hair and roughed up ground.
Do these first three and your well on your way to find your deer. Wait for twenty minutes, then start to find the direction and some blood. This deer could be piled up on the ground with in twenty five yards.

Husky7mm
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I am bad for not marking the spot where I shot from and or the exact location where the animal was, but once i find any sign showing me where the animal took off than after that it's persistence and focus. Sometimes there is no blood, you have to really pay close attention to every detail, anything that's been disturbed, you will usually pick up a general direction even if it seems random at first.
A friend can help but don't let people just stomp all over and ruin the sign. Offen the shooter is excited or fatigued so they may not see things that are obvious to fresh eyes and mind. When you run out of blood or never even found any, start doing loops or circles, most people just don't go far enough. I Think there are less misses than people think. As a last effort return the following day and listen for ravens or coyotes.

Jelvis
05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Some people will not follow up a shot when the animal runs off, too lazy or bad eyesight or not in good dragging shape.
It is a real shame when a deer is dead over the little hill and the shooter dint have faith in his or her aim.
Enuff to look and find.
We as individuals can only do what we can to make sure we follow up every shot at a deer.
Others they will do what they do.
Jel(Just Do It)

hunter1947
05-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Some people will not follow up a shot when the animal runs off, too lazy or bad eyesight or not in good dragging shape.
It is a real shame when a deer is dead over the little hill and the shooter dint have faith in his or her aim.
Enuff to look and find.
We as individuals can only do what we can to make sure we follow up every shot at a deer.
Others they will do what they do.
Jel(Just Do It)

Well said wording Jel I agree a 100% on your wording like you said there are shooters that think they missed the animal and don't go over to look..

srupp
05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
all exellent points...I also use a blood flashlight..brings the blood to your attention no matter how small...and also a infrared heat detector..some bears dont leak much.

Steven

boxhitch
05-12-2014, 07:50 AM
This should get an annual bump

walks with deer
05-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Spotted a whitey buck in kamloops one year.
Was trying to get the wife set up to take the shot. The buck went to wonder off noticed he was limping hard.
Took a peak in the bush and there was blood we had not shot.

After putting on my day pack and making the wife and new born comfy I started to track the beast I could tell he was dragging his rear leg real hard. After 2 k I bumped him out of his bed no ethical shot not sure how hurt he was I did not take a rushed shot in thick bush. Long story short after kicking him out of bed 2 more times with no shot I deemed he would be okay.
Now I am 8k from my wife and baby so I hustled up to the road were there was one set of truck tracks (not mine) as I ran to my truck I came across were to people got out of there truck and there was a shell case on the road.
These (hunters) only looked 20ft and got back in there truck.
I went back to my wife told her what happend made sure she was okay.
I went back and recovered the large whitetails trail noing what had happened.
After a additional 6k after the first 8 he sprung out of bed noing he was hurt I fired to snap shots one in lung one in the head .
Point of story the other hunter had assumed miss and not looked but they had hit the deer in the ham.
I dragged and tagged the buck and followed the other truck tell I caught it. The other hunters response was coyotes have to eat.
Point is little extra effort and repect for the animal and some times they can be recovered wven with the worst shot placement.
You shoot slow down and look.

hunter1947
05-13-2014, 02:26 AM
When I shoot at an animal and its in fairly thick bush it disappears into the bush I wait 30 min then head in to where I had shot at the animal..

I look for blood if the is no blood I head the way I think the animal has gone I put toilet paper or ribbon on the trees as I go to show me
that I had covered this run if I have to cover more area will do the same..