PDA

View Full Version : Trapping question- bears

Gateholio
04-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Can trappers shoot black bears only on their trap line area? Or anywhere in the open MU?

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/implement-black-bear-hunting-season-trappers-remainder-thompson-region

Implement a Black Bear Hunting Season for Trappers in the Remainder of the Thompson Region Submitted on December 22nd 2011

Proposal Number:

Decided

Region (MU):
MU 3-12
MU 3-13
MU 3-14
MU 3-15
MU 3-16
MU 3-17
MU 3-18
MU 3-19
MU 3-20
MU 3-26
MU 3-27
MU 3-28
MU 3-29
MU 3-30
MU 3-31
MU 3-32
MU 3-33

Regulation Type:
General Open Season

Species:
Black bear

Closing Date:
Jan 6, 2012

Subject:
This regulation was approved, is effective July 1, 2012, and will be noted in the 2012-2014 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis.

Current Regulations:
There is currently no black bear hunting season for trappers in MUs 3-12 to 3-20 and 3-26 to 3-33. Black bear hunting seasons for trappers are currently in place throughout the rest of the interior and northern regions of the province, with the exception of portions of the Thompson Region. There is a separate proposal to implement a black bear hunting season for trappers in the Okanagan Region. During open seasons trappers are permitted to harvest 2 black bears per year under the authority of their trapping licence.
Note: it is an offence for a trapper to harvest a black bear except by the use of a rifle, shotgun, or bow.

Proposed Regulations:
October 1 to May 31 black bear hunting season for trappers in the remainder of the Thompson Region (MUs 3-12 to 3-20 and 3-26 to 3-33), bag limit of 2 black bears per year.
Note: it is an offence for a trapper to harvest a black bear except by the use of a rifle, shotgun, or bow.

Rationale:
This regulation change will increase opportunity for trappers to annually harvest up to 2 black bears in the remainder of the Thompson Region; as currently occurs in parts of the Thompson, Kootenays, Cariboo, Skeena, Omineca and Peace. An expansion of black bear hunting opportunities by trappers in these regions is considered to be sustainable, and will harmonize the trapping seasons with adjacent regions in the interior of BC.

Confused
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
They can hunt anywhere under their hunting license just as anybody else. But some areas of the province they can harvest 2 more on their registered traplines. Some areas of the province they cannot, this must have been one of the areas that they previously couldn't.

Barracuda
04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
As far as i understand under the trapping lis you can only harvest 2 on a registered trapline you are legally entitled to trap on or on pvt ppty that you are authorized to trap on .

Wild one
04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
As far as i understand under the trapping lis you can only harvest 2 on a registered trapline you are legally entitled to trap on or on pvt ppty that you are authorized to trap on .

^^ this as long as there is a trapping season in that MU

Gateholio
04-28-2012, 05:22 PM
So if I am reading this correctly....

A trapper can take 2 bears on his huntling lic- anywhere there is an open season in BC

and

2 bears on his trapline only. Providing there is a bear trapping season in the MU his trapline is on.

REMINGTON JIM
04-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I can take 2 bears on the trap line with out tagging and then i can still shoot 2 ? ( if that is the limit in that mu) bears in any open mu and have to tag them . RJ

BromBones
04-28-2012, 05:36 PM
So if I am reading this correctly....

A trapper can take 2 bears on his huntling lic- anywhere there is an open season in BC

and

2 bears on his trapline only. Providing there is a bear trapping season in the MU his trapline is on.

That is correct.

Barracuda
04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
trapping lis and hunting lis are two completly seperate entities .

proguide66
04-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Hmm..here's a question , if a licensed trapper traps on 3 different trap lines is he allowed to kill 6 bears plus two more on his license??...( I dont know as it has never interested me).

Barracuda
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
two per registered trapline in all of wildlife administrative regions is what it says in the book.

BlacktailStalker
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I remember hearing this is something they were going to implement when I was taking my trapping course.
This is good !
It is amazing how well the black bears do, they absolutely hammer down on the elk calves and blacktails here. I have already found two bear killed does this year :shock: The big boys seem to like a big protein dose after waking up...

Wild one
04-28-2012, 07:02 PM
My understanding is 2 a year per trapper not trapline but I have not looked into this much

Barracuda
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
kinda confuseing, inside of the regs it says two per year but in the trapper manual it says bears are quota system "two per per registered trapline" ??

Wild one
04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
kinda confuseing, inside of the regs it says two per year but in the trapper manual it says bears are quota system "two per per registered trapline" ??

I would go by what the regs say with 2 per year as they will be the most up to date.

It has been a while since I have read the manual and if that is what is written in there yes that would be confusing.

houndogger
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Hmm..here's a question , if a licensed trapper traps on 3 different trap lines is he allowed to kill 6 bears plus two more on his license??...( I dont know as it has never interested me).
Don't like skinning bears? lol

REMINGTON JIM
04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't think so ! RJ

hunter1947
04-29-2012, 03:09 AM
I talked to a trapper that has a registered trap line that was active a few years ago and he told me he was not allowed to take any bears on his trap line and if so had to report it to the CO..

He said if he was to trap a bear on the trap line this bear would part of the allowable count as a holder of a hunting tag license..

Wild one
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Sounds like this is about as clear as mud

I will look into this and see if I can get the correct answer.