PDA

View Full Version : New Youth Hunting Licence Change

hillclimber
04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Although I posted it in The Dude's thread I figured it would get more attention here

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/expanded-youth-hunting-licence-formerly-junior-hunting-licence

"At any time, a youth age 10 - 17 will be able to take CORE and get their own hunter number, hunting licence and bag limit"

Husky7mm
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Cool I have some up and comers!

BcBob
04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
My son has had his hunter number age 9.

Livewire322
04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I got mine at age 10... Been hunting my own liscense since.

luckynuts
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
A youth has always been able to get his/her hunter number from the age of ten the only differeance is now older kids above the age of 14 can hunt under a junior license which would allow hopefully more kids to experience bird or bigame hunting. I think this is a good move by the ministry

W.

Jeff88
04-27-2012, 05:39 PM
My son has had his hunter number age 9.

your son would have had to have been 10 to get his hunter number ..not 9...

Jeff88
04-27-2012, 05:52 PM
i got my kids to do there core last year ..its great now they have there own tags to fill ,not mine .plus we have the oportunity to fill the freezer with alot more meat..only thing is its alot more costly to buy 3 licences and tags than one...

hillclimber
04-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I always thought you had to be 14 to be able to hunt on your own licence and from 10-13/14 you were on a junior licence cutting someone else's tags.

Moose Guide
04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I always thought you had to be 14 to be able to hunt on your own licence and from 10-13/14 you were on a junior licence cutting someone else's tags.

You can get your number and hunt on your own license as young as 10(It is illegal to cause someone younger than 10 to hunt)

Weatherby Fan
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
your son would have had to have been 10 to get his hunter number ..not 9...

My Nephew had his hunter # at age 9 also just can't go hunting on a Jr licence until 10

Jeff88
04-28-2012, 02:20 PM
My Nephew had his hunter # at age 9 also just can't go hunting on a Jr licence until 10

but in order to get your hunter number you have to pass the core and you have to be ten to do the core

2chodi
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Notice that this is only proposed at this point, but I am thinking there should be not much of a problem with it going through.

RiverBear
04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm looking forward to start taking my daughter hunting this year. She has a few years to go before she can start shooting she's only 2 but she knows what moose, deer and bear are. Start them off young and hopefully have a hunting partner for life

martyonthewater
04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
That is great news. My youngest boy just celebrated his tenth birthday this month. Time to look up a local course provider

000buck
04-29-2012, 08:29 AM
my boy has had his regular license and tags as soon as he was 14 took core at 13 and he was off to the races..

emerson
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Do I read it correctly, 10-17 can either hunt with a youth license and the adult's bag limit, or take CORE, and get their own hunter #, license and bag limit?

coach
04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Do I read it correctly, 10-17 can either hunt with a youth license and the adult's bag limit, or take CORE, and get their own hunter #, license and bag limit?

You got it, Emerson. My kids will both have their core this year - But this change will be useful to introduce their friends, who are over 14, to hunting. It's a great way to grow the sport.

emerson
04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Three years until the family shared moose draws start! And I need to work up a gentle 30-06 load.

dana
04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyone have a problem with this, "The accompanying hunter may accompany no more than two youths at one time"? I know I sure do. Lots of familys where there are more than 2 youths between 10-17 that are into hunting. According to this, father's will now have to tell some of their kids that they can't come and have to stay home. That kinda defeats hunter recruitment don't it? Picture a dad with 3 kids. How hard is it for him to look after them as they go road hunting hoping to shoot some chickens. If the 3rd kid jumps in the truck, the father is now a criminal?

argyle1
04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
my oldest grand son got his core at ten. He's 12 now and has taken a mountain goat (not an easy one either), a whitetail, and a moose, one shot each with '06 150 gr., and all on his own tags. He got the goat draw and moose draw first time he tried lol
His bro is only 9, and being as the last core will happen here befor his 10 yr birthday (in June), he's stuck with hunting on my license til next year

argyle1
04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
hey Dana--it doesn't say they cant come along, just that they cant hunt all at once----looks to me like only 2 are hunting at a time and the other is watching---its normal for the bureaucrats to come up with laws that they cant enforce

dana
04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Ever had a CO ask a kid how many grouse he shot? A kid ain't gonna lie. They are gonna be damn proud of the critters they killed. Why should one sit on his hands and watch as the other 2 get to have fun? This part of the new proposal needs to be turfed. It is absolute Hogwash. Hunter Recruitment is the goal. Lets not make rules that are counter to that objective.

argyle1
04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
i absolutely agree with you---just saying that all the kids weren't hunting at once ---they took turns--after one shot his grouse the other one started hunting

Steeleco
04-29-2012, 09:58 PM
While it is still only a proposal, I've got to agree with Dana 100% All 4 kids in his example can well be packing a variety of rifles some .22 and some bigger. It's not like all 4 are going to start a Mexican firing squad and all shoot the same animal.

Logic apparently not applied to this thinking!!!

dana
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see more discussion on this, especially from our members who have been part of the Hunter Recruitment and Retention movement.

It seems they have basically just cut and paste from the rules for the Permit the Accompany given out to residents hosting non-resident Canadians, as I have just gone through that process and the rules are almost the same.
"The accompanying hunter must have (a) held a British Columbia resident hunting licence and a big game species licence for three of the previous five licence years immediately preceding the licence year in which the person accompanies an youth hunter, or (b) successfully completed CORE, and held a British Columbia resident hunting licence and a big game species licence for two of the five previous licence years immediately preceding the licence year in which the person accompanies an youth hunter."

It is funny in my situation with my kids, my son has held his licence for 5 of the last 5 years and has successfully compleded CORE. He has more experience than the people they say can be an accompanying hunter and yet I have to accompany him for another 2 years.

They have taken something that could be good and screwed around with it so much that now we will have a huge mess if this thing gets past. WTF??? Why do they take the most simple and make it soooo complicated? The new Youth licence should be just that, allowing the Jr. Licence program to go beyond the 10-14 ages and bump it up to 17. But now they have taken kids who have successfully completed CORE and told them they can't hunt as a family unit. How and why did this become an issue?????

They have also added the adult new hunter licence into this. Why wouldn't they have just called the entire thind a new hunter licence and forget about an age limit completely? And do they really think there are hoards of licenced hunters out there willing to give up their own tags to help out a newbie? It is a hard enough sacrifice as a father. I certainly wouldn't do it for a newbie adult. IIRC the orginal proposal in the Hunter Recruitment and Retention document had 1 deer tag proposed for the new hunter, not cutting someone else's tag. Really, how many new people are going to join our ranks with this new proposal? Will there now be tons of 'I want to try hunting will you host me and allow me to cut your tag' threads on HBC in the future? IMO either give them their own tag with this new hunter licence or make them take CORE like everyone has for years.

Husky7mm
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I must have read it wrong , did it not say the 10 and ups would be getting there own bag limits?

GoatGuy
04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Dana,

You're asking some good questions, same ones that are being discussed by those involved.

On a personal note I don't have a problem taking a new hunter out and cutting my tag, regardless of age, but that's just me.

Steeleco
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I must have read it wrong , did it not say the 10 and ups would be getting there own bag limits?
Only if they get their own hunter number and seasonal license. It's the junior license that cuts the tag of the adult license holder.

fowl language
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
as i see it,it,s about getting a kid out hunting and recruiting for the future of the sport.from were i sit it is easy to give a kid or 2 a shotgun and let them blast away.few will take your limit.i agree deer are different with only having one tag but give em a chance to see what it,s like and then they might want to take there core. i also agre that there should be no more then 2 kids per mentor.it,s hard enough to keep your eyes on one let alone 3 or 4 . this is a safety issue,that has been stretched from i to 2 by the wildlife committee because of lack of mentors.....fowl

Steeleco
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
This part

The accompanying hunter may accompany no more than two youths at one time (The accompanying hunter may accompany no more than two youths and/or initiation licence holders at one time (i.e. 2 youth or 2 initiation licence holders or 1 youth and 1 initiation licence holder).

Is what we're speaking of, you may have 3 kids and only take 1 rifle. So you have the control you speak of. But this rule states a guy has to leave one of the three kids home. You gonna pick which one????????

Iron Glove
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Dana, I'm all for the New Adult Hunter proposal and I do think it will increase the number of hunters.
I know tons of non hunters who would like to give it a try but when they look at taking the CORE, with the time and money involved, etc., the usual comment is "What if I don't like hunting after all that ?"
The proposal will allow you to take family / friends out for a trial run and see if they like it.
If it passes, I'll be taking my wife and son-in-law out primarily for birds so sharing my quota really isn't a big deal. If we happen to come across a deer, it's probably mine as they are only interested in birds at this time.
It's a fantastic opportunity to introduce people to hunting.

Husky7mm
05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Only if they get their own hunter number and seasonal license. It's the junior license that cuts the tag of the adult license holder.

Sure, I get this, and thats how its always been right, the way I understood it is the under 10-14 now can have there own tags, so they dont have to cut the adult tags anymore.I know there are lots of other issues here and they will have to work the kinks out of it.......

Steeleco
05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
You must have missed something?

Under a youth licence, any game taken by the youth is included in the bag limit of the accompanying hunter.

dana
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Concerning the adult new hunter licence, do you realize that if you get a Permit to Accompany for non-resident Canadians, they get their own baglimit. Why couldn't the same thing be done for residents???? No where on the permit to accompany application do you have to write down the Hunter Safety course numbers from the province the non-resident Canadian is coming from. So in reality, a newbie from Alberta, Sask or wherever can come to BC with a hunter host who holds a Permit to Accompany and they can shoot their own baglimit. Again I ask, why is it so hard to do the same thing for a BC Resident?

dana
05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Sure, I get this, and thats how its always been right, the way I understood it is the under 10-14 now can have there own tags, so they dont have to cut the adult tags anymore.I know there are lots of other issues here and they will have to work the kinks out of it.......

Husky,
Nothing has changed when it comes to the age you can take CORE and get your own tags. You can take CORE and hunt with your own tags as early as 10. Has been that way since I was a kid, as that is exactly when I took my CORE and started hunting with my own tags. That was over 30 years ago.

dana
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
as i see it,it,s about getting a kid out hunting and recruiting for the future of the sport.from were i sit it is easy to give a kid or 2 a shotgun and let them blast away.few will take your limit.i agree deer are different with only having one tag but give em a chance to see what it,s like and then they might want to take there core. i also agre that there should be no more then 2 kids per mentor.it,s hard enough to keep your eyes on one let alone 3 or 4 . this is a safety issue,that has been stretched from i to 2 by the wildlife committee because of lack of mentors.....fowl

Like I pointed out in my example, my son is almost 16 and has hunted 5 of the last 5 seasons and has passed his CORE. He exceeds the qualifications of an Accompanying hunter and yet because of his age, I must still accompany him. His cousin has the exact same situation. So according to this new rule, I couldn't take my son, my daughter and my nephew hunting together. All three have been taught proper gun safety and I'm willing to bet, are safer than many beer drinking road hunting slob adults out there. I have hunted 30 of the last 31 seasons. I'm sure I can control the kids under my care and ensure there is no accidents. My father has hunted 50 of the last 50 years. He was a CORE instructor and has mentored many a hunter and yet now he can't take his grandkids out together? This proposal is a slap to the honest hunters of this province and will do more to destroy the hunting heritage we have built. This proposal needs to be squashed.

showtime
05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
agreed, this proposal is ridiculous and should be put 6 feet under.

Husky7mm
05-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh I thought my rug rats would be punching my tags till they were 14, when they could finally take there core..... I guess I just never looked into it. Perhaps they don't realize this proposal actually screws some folks instead of helping them. Anyways 20 bucks says if your hunting with 3 licensed youth and u get stopped by a CO he says have a nice day.

Husky7mm
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
You must have missed something?

I must have, I only read what the original poster wrote, and not the link. I guess I just figured that was it, did think they could screw it all up, Im sure it will get figured out or axed.....

dana
05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Here's a few more senerios for ya. When do a lot of women take up hunting? A lot take it up when their kids are old enough to hunt. That is exactly when my own mother took up hunting. Her and I spent a ton of quality time together hunting grouse and deer. Both of us were new hunters. Under this new proposal, this would be a no-no now. A new woman hunter would not qualify to accompany a youth because they need to have hunted 2 of the last 5 years. If a family of 5 figured they would get around this new rule by getting mom to take the CORE with the youngest, they still are SOL and would be breaking the law if they wanted to hunt as a family unit.

My real question is, what sparked this new line of thinking. I certainly haven't heard of a rash of accidents due to dads looking after too many youths. As a matter of fact, you can bet the beer drinkin bubas that shoot up signs and throw their beer cans all over our forest service road ditchlines probably act a hell of a lot better when they have their kids in the truck hunting with them instead of their buddies. I think it could be shown that kids make hunting safer don't ya think?

city hunter
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Although I posted it in The Dude's thread I figured it would get more attention here

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/expanded-youth-hunting-licence-formerly-junior-hunting-licence

"At any time, a youth age 10 - 17 will be able to take CORE and get their own hunter number, hunting licence and bag limit"

A little confused.....my son is 14 years old now ,Does he has to take a CORE and get his own hunter Number this year ? or Just go hunting with me (buy him a junior hunting licence will fine ) like last year ? and he can wait until 18 years old then take CORE and get his own hunter Number ? any help would be appreciated.

The Dude
05-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Another positive change. I think this shows that the Ministry puts a high value on hunting, not only in the short term, but in terms of long-term sustainability by new hunter recruitment.
Good to see.

The Dude
05-02-2012, 01:32 AM
A little confused.....my son is 14 years old now ,Does he has to take a CORE and get his own hunter Number this year ? or Just go hunting with me (buy him a junior hunting licence will fine ) like last year ? and he can wait until 18 years old then take CORE and get his own hunter Number ? any help would be appreciated.

The old laws that applied to 10-13 MAY be applied to 10-17, which means he doesn't have to take the CORE until he turns 18 if you want him to continue hunting with a Junior License, under your license, and on YOUR bag limit.
Notice the status of the change is PROPOSED. Go to the site and sign up for updates. If it's approved or denied, you get an email from the Goovern-Mint. :D

city hunter
05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
ok ,thanks !!!

Steeleco
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
city hunter, be advised I was in the same boat as you a few years back. If you get your son a junior licence soon, he'll not be able to get his own licence if he does pass his core in the current hunting year. In a nut shell my son had to sit out spring bear a couple years back as he had plans to take core and get his own licence. He did just that. Had I got him a junior for spring bear, he would have broke the rules and had two licence's in the same year.

horshur
05-02-2012, 09:44 AM

It is clear as mud isn't it??......maybe if we ask ten more people there will be a trend and we can go from there?.. Nobody actually answered your question.
Yes your son needs to take the course in order to have a licence this year.

silvicon
05-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Do you realy think it is such a good idea?
Turning kids with guns loose in the bush? Do they have the knowledge and ethic to place good and safe shots?
Will they follow up on bad shots? Look for wounded game?
Or will they adopt the bad habits of their mentors?

The Dude
05-02-2012, 11:38 AM

The old laws that applied to 10-13 MAY be applied to 10-17, which means he doesn't have to take the CORE until he turns 18 if you want him to continue hunting with a Junior License, under your license, and on YOUR bag limit.
Notice the status of the change is PROPOSED. Go to the site and sign up for updates. If it's approved or denied, you get an email from the Goovern-Mint. :grin:

It is clear as mud isn't it??......maybe if we ask ten more people there will be a trend and we can go from there?.. Nobody actually answered your question.
Yes your son needs to take the course in order to have a licence this year.

It's quite clear. he needs to take the CORE to have his own license. If not, the new proposal would allow him to hunt on a Mentor's tag/bag limit until he turns 18.
Not sure what ya missed here, but have a nice day!

coach
05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Turning kids with guns loose in the bush? Do they have the knowledge and ethic to place good and safe shots?

I guess we'll just chalk you up as another guy who's completely opposed to kids under 19 being allowed to hunt.

coach
05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
city hunter, be advised I was in the same boat as you a few years back. If you get your son a junior licence soon, he'll not be able to get his own licence if he does pass his core in the current hunting year. In a nut shell my son had to sit out spring bear a couple years back as he had plans to take core and get his own licence. He did just that. Had I got him a junior for spring bear, he would have broke the rules and had two licence's in the same year.

Steelco, I'm hoping you were misinformed on this. I purchase a junior license for my daughter last weekend - but she's planning on doing the CORE this spring. I asked the vendor what would happen once she passed - as I didn't want to have an issue with her having two licenses. I was informed that she will be able to go into a government office, turn in the junior license and get her own once she has a hunter number.

The Dude
05-02-2012, 01:23 PM

It's called Hunter Recruitment, and the future of hunting is dead without it.
No-one advocates "Turning kids with guns loose in the bush".
It's called "mentoring", and "parenting" and, yes, I will invoke the term "Stewardship."
Try hitting "Go Advanced" a few times, take some deep breaths and read what you wrote, and lay off the "Post Quick Reply" button.

Jesus, some folks would complain if you hung 'em with a brand-new rope.

Gateholio
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Save your breath on Silvicon.

The Dude
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah, well, one can hope, right?

drum_boy101
11-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Did some searching, couldn't find an answer...

Got my son his junior license in September. He is turning 18 soon, once he does will his jr license be invalid or is it good till the end of the season since he was 17 when we purchased it?