PDA

View Full Version : Mountian Goat

Gunpoint
04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Looking for any advice for Goat hunting. Hope to get a draw somewhere in the 7-19 regions. Plan on doing some scouting soon.

rcar
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
During the winter I decided to go for a goat hunt this year and since then have been doing a lot of research. This forum has a LOT of info if you search goat or billy etc.

I have also read a few books that have given me quite a bit of insight. "The Beast the Color of Winter" isn't bad. I have yet to receive my very difficult to find copy of "Hunt High" as I had to get it shipped to a buddy in the US because the shipper wouldn't ship here and my buddy is reading it. Another great book on mountain hunting in general is "Hunting High Country Mule Deer".

I have been assembling my mountain pack over the past few months. There is a great older post from a member who details everything in his pack for mountain hunts. It is a great list to use as a reference. I have a copy of the document. PM me if you would like it...but I'm sure someone can easily reference it here for you.

Good luck in your draw but if you don't get it the GOS areas are also a very good bet.

springpin
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Hunt high isnt that hard to find..its on amazon. its expensive though.

rcar
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey springpin. when I was looking for it a few months ago used on amazon was over $100. I ended up finding a signed copy for $45....hopefully I'll get it before goat season!

Gunpoint: here is the thread I was referring to regarding pack weight and contents if you're interested: See Bigwhiteys list. It it really quite good.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?33192-sheep-pack-weight/page2

springpin
04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
ya, it's still over 100 bucks...not cheap.

bighornbob
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Hunt high isnt that hard to find..its on amazon. its expensive though.

Dont just rely on Amazon.com, you can find it new for $20.

BHB

rcar
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Dont just rely on Amazon.com, you can find it new for $20.

BHB

All of the web sites that show it don't have it....I know I tried to order from nearly a dozen of them and every time and even after I paid in some cases I would get an email saying not available and would have to go through a refund process. I even had a book broker in New York look for me with no luck. That was a few months ago however.