PDA

View Full Version : A hunters life episode

rides bike to work
04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Did any body watch the recent episode of a hunters life were the hunter shoots the guide through the back.The guide spots the game and tells the hunter to load the gun they set up for the shot but the animal switches direction so the guide says let's move over there so the hunter follows the guide trips on a rock and blows a hole through the guide from behind. I couldn't beloved what I was seeing the film crew goes nuts they call for a truck to get them out and the shooter is having a mental break down. It really opened my eyes.I am very safe withy fire arm but this episode showed how a simple mistake can happen in the heat of the hunt . I know most people walk in the bush with a bullet in the chamber with the safety on but after watching this it makes second guess that as sAfe practice .

04-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Wholly crap,,, no i havent seen i. Whe was it on?

Weatherby Fan
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I watched a similiar program and it was just a drill as the guy wasn't really shot

Tikka270
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Wow! It's on at 4:30 I hope it's the same episode. Haven't seen it yet.

islander7mm
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Ya I saw that episode aswell and couldn't believe that had happened and that they continued to film as it unfolded.They then reveal that it was a dramatization and I though the same as you that wow, something that serious can happen so quickly with the hunter just "following instructions".

04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
It was very well done and fooled me too but, it shows you how easy and fast an accident can happen when your all fired up, and possibly not thinking straight ....... careful out there every one.

CT

Looked like the real goods.

bassplayer
04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah it was dream he was having to show you what could happen. I seen this episode a while back and thought it was real so yes i got fooled too the first time.

BigfishCanada
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Its on Youtube, and man, scares the crap outta me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYsVs1Uxmk

Never walk in front of a loaded gun, watch the end to see how he survived.

sawmill
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Saw it,very disturbing.And quite well done too.

Phreddy
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Damned right BigFish. wishI could figure out how to download and save some of these youtube films for my CORE/PAL course. Talking about it is one thing, but it's movies like this that really drive the message home.

Its on Youtube, and man, scares the crap outta me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYsVs1Uxmk

Never walk in front of a loaded gun, watch the end to see how he survived.

silvertipp
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting that feed fish,im going to have my boy wach that tonight ,hopefully he will start to understand why Dad is so anal about gun safety

rcar
04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I called my wife into the room while I was watching it a month or so ago thinking it may be real. Then common sense took over and I realized they would never air it if it was. As I watched though it did make me realize just how easy that could happen.

A while back someone posted a question here about whether you hunt with one in the chamber or not. At that time I answered that I did when in a stalking situation and although I hunt alone most of the time I have re-thought my answer since I saw that episode.

BearStump
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I still hunt with one in the chamber. muzzle control and common sense are important.

I also watched an episode with Jim Shockey. Itwas either his show or "the professionals" they were leopard hunting in africa with dogs, and the leopard killed all of the guides dogs one after another. preety sad. I was surprised to see the episode air.

Gateholio
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Proper muzzle control is not overrated....

RENO
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Damned right BigFish. wishI could figure out how to download and save some of these youtube films for my CORE/PAL course. Talking about it is one thing, but it's movies like this that really drive the message home.
Do you use a lap top computer? for core?
You could save them, on Macs go to top bookmarks click on it and click add bookmark.
Then you can set up a folder there, name it Core Videos and then when you are in class
all you need to do is, go to the top click on bookmarks, show all bookmarks , find the Core Video folder
and click on the clip to view and play it.
My buddy just hooked up his lap top to his projection tv box and watches all pics,videos and slideshows on the pull down screen.
Easy.
cheers

moosinaround
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I just watched it with my 14 year old son. We are heading out into the field tomorrow to find a Black bear. I reminded him of how we will have to blow off the rust from the winter. It is a good reminder that this show provided, on the importance of muzzle control, and the basics of firearms training! Stay safe out there HBCers!!! Moosin

Foxton Gundogs
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Wholly crap,,, no i havent seen i. Whe was it on?

It turned out to be a "dream sequence" the guy that supposedly was shot wakes up the guy having the dream at the end. Staged but good message.

ianwuzhere
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
ya, was a crazy daydream he was having..
get out and start shooting HBCers!!

scoutlt1
04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
ya, was a crazy daydream he was having..

????What did I ever do to you???

OK sorry...couldn't resist. ;-)

Seriously though, as has been said already....proper muzzle control is an absolute priority!!

reach
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Do you need an LEH for those, or are they GOS? Does the HBC hat have to accompany the carcass? :D

Bit of a Freudian slip there, given the subject of this thread... :?

MikeH
04-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I still hunt with one in the chamber. muzzle control and common sense are important.

I also watched an episode with Jim Shockey. Itwas either his show or "the professionals" they were leopard hunting in africa with dogs, and the leopard killed all of the guides dogs one after another. preety sad. I was surprised to see the episode air.

I seen that episode wiped those dogs out quick.Don't be discouraged about having a loaded weapon you always have to think of muzzle control first before shot.Arcs of fire (example left of arc 10 o'clock right of arc 2 o'clock)do not shoot at anything outside of those numbers or anything inside the arcs you don't intend to eat.Arcs are important when your with another person I always have one in the spout.I've seen my fair share of weapon accidents but my experiences are a lil different with a pinch of realism.I think the core or PAL should have some range time built in with proper weapons handling,Characteristics of your weapons,proper cleaning and sighting. P.S treat your firearm like its loaded all the time drill that into your head! even when the bolts out cleaning it eating Cheezies on the couch.you feed one end of the gun the other feeds you! now back to my beer:-D

The Dude
04-28-2012, 01:13 AM
LMAO.....the Ranch is called the FTW Ranch? Ya gotta be kidding me..... :D

hunter1947
04-29-2012, 04:03 AM
This dream that this guide outfitter had can come true for anyone in the video the way I saw it was the hunter did not put his safety on before he followed to get up the outfitter the hunter also had his finger in the trigger guard touching the trigger a no ,no .

The outfitter should have said to him you go first I will be right behind you or he should have said is you gun on safety ??? before he went ahead.

A few times in my hunting years I have asked my hunting friend after shooting a animal is your gun back on safety ???? they looked at the safety and the safety was on fire ,with all the excitement it is easy to forget this so please always remember what I just said in the years to come when hunting ,safety first..

Bushbum40
04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Coulda been prevented very easily. #1 keep your goddam finger off the trigger, #2 keep the safety on. Good thing it was a dramatization and not the real thing, but that stuff can happen easily if you're not @&*%#@ careful!

Phreddy
04-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Right on as usual Wayne. Even today I continue to check to make sure that my gun is safe as an automatic sub-conscious habit when out and about in the bush or back in camp. I hate nasty surprises.

This dream that this guide outfitter had can come true for anyone in the video the way I saw it was the hunter did not put his safety on before he followed to get up the outfitter the hunter also had his finger in the trigger guard touching the trigger a no ,no .

The outfitter should have said to him you go first I will be right behind you or he should have said is you gun on safety ??? before he went ahead.

A few times in my hunting years I have asked my hunting friend after shooting a animal is your gun back on safety ???? they looked at the safety and the safety was on fire ,with all the excitement it is easy to forget this so please always remember what I just said in the years to come when hunting ,safety first..