PDA

View Full Version : ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE? Horseback Hunting, Outfitter Rental

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey I came across an outfitter by the name of - Blue Creek Outfitter Rental.

Just Curious if anyone out there could give a guy a few suggestions on maybe where to start looking for trail heads into moose country, as the outfitter is not allowed to even suggest areas. We have never been Hunting by Horseback and were looking into BCOR who supplies the complete outfit of horses. You provide the location and they apparently drop off all the horses and gear for you. The cost is 1500 per person for two weeks out. Seems like a great idea and would like to come up with a really great trip but have no idea as to where. I have hunted the Pink Mtn area years ago but that is two busy with workers, trucks and atv's.

Any areas or trails you could suggest i start researching would be much appreciated.

04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't know anything about Blue Creek Outfitter Rental. We have used Steamboat Mountain Outfitters the last couple of years, and have been impressed. Check them out at steamboatmountainoutfitters.ca.

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Ya cool, what did you end up harvesting on the trip?

silvertipp
04-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Just a quick question for you
Do they supply a wrangler with the horses because if they dont ,i hope you have some experiance with horses!

04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Ya cool, what did you end up harvesting on the trip?

My partner and I were going after Stone Sheep, and we were both successful. Their territory also hold good elk and moose, etc.

Islandbowhunter
04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Just a quick question for you
Do they supply a wrangler with the horses because if they dont ,i hope you have some experiance with horses!

That's what I was wondering. I think it would be a great trip but work-intensive with the caballos.

Man, I would love to have a horse to hunt with!

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 01:00 PM
No they said the horses are super easy. My neighbour has a few horses, and they suggested you know a few knots, but.....

silvertipp
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
horses are a great way to access areas ,but they are also alot of work
there is a good thread on horses that i read just the other day have a look at it!!

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Hunting and pack horses seem to be more gentle and forgiving. Im sure your not heading them straight up and down mountains you will do just fine.

silvertipp
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
have you given any thought as to what to do with the horses anoce you reach you destination,ie food ,water ,tethering
not trying to change your mind but if you havent taken horse into the mountains before ther are a few things to consider

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
and the horse thread you read was?

Foxton Gundogs
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
No they said the horses are super easy. My neighbour has a few horses, and they suggested you know a few knots, but.....

Stay clear if they are willing to turn greenhorns out with their horses, just "knowing a few knots", I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole. A lifetime of horse experience, along with a pile of cowboying and packing has taught me 1 thing. Putting "bomb proof" horses in the sole care and handeling of greenhorns is like putting an "unloaded gun" in the hands of a chimp bad idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU

Foxton Gundogs
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
and the horse thread you read was?

"Horses for hunting" in the open chat form

bighornbob
04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey I came across an outfitter by the name of - Blue Creek Outfitter Rental.

Just Curious if anyone out there could give a guy a few suggestions on maybe where to start looking for trail heads into moose country, as the outfitter is not allowed to even suggest areas. We have never been Hunting by Horseback and were looking into BCOR who supplies the complete outfit of horses. You provide the location and they apparently drop off all the horses and gear for you. The cost is 1500 per person for two weeks out. Seems like a great idea and would like to come up with a really great trip but have no idea as to where. I have hunted the Pink Mtn area years ago but that is two busy with workers, trucks and atv's.

Any areas or trails you could suggest i start researching would be much appreciated.

This outfit has been in operation for more then a few years. I know a few people that used him and they said it was great.

He will meet you at the trail head and give you a map with trails on it. He cant tell you where the moose and elk may hang out but he sure as hell can tell you where the trails are, where to camp, where there is good feed for the horses etc. Just cant tell you "ride up this trail and once you get to the burn, look for moose in the swamp on your right and the elk will usually be half way the valley on your left side."

Use what he tells you and your knowledge of the game to figure it out. Like he might tell you to stay out of a certain area of a valley because its swampy and the horse might get stuck. You should read into it keep horse out of there but also check it out as there may be a moose in there.

BHB

Marlin375
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
As an experienced green horn, I would recomend that you (or at least one of your party) take Blue Creek's packing course this summer before your adventure. I have no doubt that you will survive either way but I KNOW you will have a more enjoyable trip if you don't have to learn from your mistakes.
Stans horses all know the way back to the trail head, so Ill give you a tip, if your not sitting on it tie it up.

gamer
04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I took the course at Blue Creek last summer. I would not consider taking a horseback trip into the backcountry without this course unless you have a good deal of experience working with horses. Cost of course was very reasonable. I highly recommend Stan and his outfit.

bridger
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
This outfit has been in operation for more then a few years. I know a few people that used him and they said it was great.

He will meet you at the trail head and give you a map with trails on it. He cant tell you where the moose and elk may hang out but he sure as hell can tell you where the trails are, where to camp, where there is good feed for the horses etc. Just cant tell you "ride up this trail and once you get to the burn, look for moose in the swamp on your right and the elk will usually be half way the valley on your left side."

Use what he tells you and your knowledge of the game to figure it out. Like he might tell you to stay out of a certain area of a valley because its swampy and the horse might get stuck. You should read into it keep horse out of there but also check it out as there may be a moose in there.

BHB

not real sure he can give you a map showing trails etc or tell you where trails are. that borders on illegal guiding would check that out before I proceeded. as to using horses for the first time. knowing a few knots as mentioned by others won't get the job done for you. take a packing course or at least have someone show you how to pack a horse properly. really easy to bust a horses withers if you don't do it right. take an easy trail for your first trip like up the halfway river valley. you can follow an old road for miles and get into good hunting. avoid places with lots of muskeg and big rivers to cross until you get some experience. easy to lose a horse in bad muskeg and easy to lose your self in a big river. good luck

bighornbob
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
not real sure he can give you a map showing trails etc or tell you where trails are. that borders on illegal guiding would check that out before I proceeded.

How would that differ from a BC parks map (that anyone can download for free) that shows trails and camp spots. Like this one http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stone_mt/stone.pdf

BHB

bridger
04-26-2012, 03:49 PM
under the wildlife act guides or transporters and charter aircraft companies
are the only entities that can provide services to resident hunters for a fee. renting horses apparently is ok extending that service to include maps and other advice could be construed as providing guiding or transporting services included in the fee. just saying it is possible as other have been charged over the years before transporter licenses were issued. best to check it out and be sure. not an issue unless another commercial interest takes exception and makes an issue of it.

RENO
04-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Stay clear if they are willing to turn greenhorns out with their horses, just "knowing a few knots", I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole. A lifetime of horse experience, along with a pile of cowboying and packing has taught me 1 thing. Putting "bomb proof" horses in the sole care and handeling of greenhorns is like putting an "unloaded gun" in the hands of a chimp bad idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU

That funny and scary, I'm thinking planet of the chimps LOL
Well one thing is for sure, the chimp id smarter!

TUGGER
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Where to start. Try to get on with a outfitter as a wrangler thats the best place to start a month wrangling in the mountains will tell you quick what horse back hunting is all about Being green you have no idea what trouble you can be in for not to mention the lack of sleep laying awake listening for the cow bells, making camp below the stock so they dont try to go back to the truck bog,bugs, bears diamonds comming loose, cutting trail through blow down,sore backside #1 rule when you get off your horse to do ANYTHING!!!!!! take your rifle out of the scabard all of these things should scare hell out of you

being in the mountains on horseback regardless if you take anything PRICELESS

TUGGER

04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Why not hire a wrangler for your hunt?

04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Where to start. Try to get on with a outfitter as a wrangler thats the best place to start a month wrangling in the mountains will tell you quick what horse back hunting is all about Being green you have no idea what trouble you can be in for not to mention the lack of sleep laying awake listening for the cow bells, making camp below the stock so they dont try to go back to the truck bog,bugs, bears diamonds comming loose, cutting trail through blow down,sore backside #1 rule when you get off your horse to do ANYTHING!!!!!! take your rifle out of the scabard all of these things should scare hell out of you

being in the mountains on horseback regardless if you take anything PRICELESS

TUGGER

Work as a wrangler for an outfitter for a month?? Yeah, that's realistic for most people :-?. Unless your working for Dale Drinkall...then come back and hunt in his territory...he would love that!

pse&remington
04-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Id hire a wrangler for sure by the sounds of it i would spend more time pissin around then hunting. Not a great HUNTING trip in my eyes

yama49
04-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I rent off stan, and will keeep doing so.. Took his course, well worth the money.. As for maps, all you need to do is get this website for that info, have him drop the horses off for you..