PDA

View Full Version : American gets world record rocky mountain goat in BC

mud-dog27
04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
damn impressive.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/american+hunter+kills+world+record+rocky+mountain+ goat+in+bcs+stikine+river+area/6442628834/story.html

sorry if this is a double post

Gateholio
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
One heck of a goat...

http://www.globaltvbc.com/uploadedImages/Global_BC/Photos/goat%282%29.jpg?size=sw380nws

Gateholio
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
A man from Kentucky has bagged the biggest Rocky Mountain goat on record.

According to Eldon Buckner, spokesman for the U.S.-based Boone and Crockett Club, the goat shot on Oct. 8, 2011, in the Stikine River area scored 57 and four eighths Boone and Crockett points, creating a new world record.

Buckner said Troy M. Sheldon, of Alexandria, Kentucky, shot the goat on the seventh day of a hunt with friend Carey Renner and guide Heidi Gutfrucht, of Northwest Ranching and Outfitting.

Sheldon killed the goat with a single shot from his Tikka T3 .270 rifle. The goat was across a ravine about 300-metres from the shooter.

The Boone and Crockett Club’s scoring system has been used since 1906 to measure horn size, symmetry and mass.

Buckner said more than a thousand Rocky Mountain goats from Alaska to Nevada have met the minimum Boone and Crockett score of 47. But by far the most entries (541) have come from British Columbia.

“British Columbia continues to set the standard for Rocky Mountain goats,” Buckner said. “The province remains home to more than half of the world’s population and trophy-class specimens have been trending upward each decade since the 1970s.”

Sheldon will be invited to include his trophy in a public exhibition held as part of Boone and Crockett’s 28th Awards Program in Reno, Nev., next year.
© Shaw Media Inc., 2012. All rights reserved.

Read it on Global News: Global BC | American hunter kills world record Rocky Mountain goat in B.C.’s Stikine River area (http://www.globaltvbc.com/american+hunter+kills+world+record+rocky+mountain+ goat+in+bcs+stikine+river+area/6442628834/story.html#ixzz1t6VO5RVJ)

180grainer
04-25-2012, 08:51 PM
That sure looks like a great billy alright.

The Dude
04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Helluva Goat (White Bufallo, as Thompson would say).
I also like to see that specimen size and quality is trending upward in so many species.
Just another big middle finger to the Antis. :D

huntcoop
04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
WOW, what a beauty, sure puts mine to shame..

blackbart
04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Nice to see that story covered in "main stream" media.

Beauty Goat for sure. I wonder how Heidi will handle the fame?

Goliath
04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
That's unbelievably awesome on so many levels!

scottwh
04-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Wow! Thats a nice goat! Sure gotta love the province we live in :) Sure dont get much better!

Buck
04-25-2012, 11:03 PM
That is a great trophy but why is it that a guide scores on the record and not one of our hardcore goat hunters on here from terrace?:???:

BCbillies
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
That is a great trophy but why is it that a guide scores on the record and not one of our hardcore goat hunters on here from terrace?:???:

I'm full of envy . . . I was hoping but now I'm past my prime! Perhaps it's time to give Heidi a call! :)

The Dude
04-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Probably because they spend months in the field where most of us spend days or weeks. They also have the benefit of the "Guide Collective" knowledge.
It's like the Borg, only sweatier. :D

Buck
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm full of envy . . . I was hoping but now I'm past my prime! Perhaps it's time to give Heidi a call! :)

Lol i was hoping you would be lurking around here:-D Now i just have to hope the new world record Muley gets killed by a guide in Clearwater.

91Jason91
04-25-2012, 11:26 PM

Lol Im sure it puts everyones to shame thats why its the world record =)

huntcoop
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Lol Im sure it puts everyones to shame thats why its the world record =)

Thanx tips, I wasn't sure.

Mik
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Probably because they spend months in the field where most of us spend days or weeks. They also have the benefit of the "Guide Collective" knowledge.
It's like the Borg, only sweatier. :D

This gave me a good laugh this morning.....great quote, and yes, that is one massive Goat.

moosinaround
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Nice goat, but the dudes toque needs adjusting, he looks like a dork!! Just sayin!!?? Moosin

The Dude
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Nice goat, but the dudes toque needs adjusting, he looks like a dork!! Just sayin!!?? Moosin

Nice......just nice..... I really need my old name back. This "Dude" thing has run it's course... :D

frenchbar
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Nice......just nice..... I really need my old name back. This "Dude" thing has run it's course... :D

what Elk mustard seed...lol stick with the Dude.

The Dude
04-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Something like that, :P

BCHunterTV
04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
one nice Billie!

moosinaround
04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Awe $hit Dude, sorry 'bout that! I didn't capitalize dude in my first post. I was trying not to insinuate yourself! I am sure you wear your toques properly, being from Canada and all!! Moosin

moose2
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
The back ground looks funny for a goat. It looks like a elk or mule deer should be in that one. Unless they brought it out whole. Its nice to see BC get another world record.
Mike

sawmill
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Ain`t no shame at all friend,one of the toughest hunts there is.Every goat deserves an award.

bighornbob
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
The back ground looks funny for a goat. It looks like a elk or mule deer should be in that one. Unless they brought it out whole. Its nice to see BC get another world record.
Mike

Thats what I was thinking too. But then it got me thinking that maybe they knew of this goat for years and it was just hell to get there. As that outfit is not known for its monster goats, they maybe got a hunter that shot something early and one of the guides said they knew where there was a billy hanging out for the last 10 years but it would be a tough go. This hunter maybe accepted the challenge while others opted out for an easier goat somewhere else.

Just some random thoughts I had.

BHB

sherpa-Al
04-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Ouch, that hurts. It's all about the accumulative total, he who has the MOST goats when he dies wins, not the biggest! :-D

sherpa-Al
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Mike

Some of those big old billies aren't where you'd expect to find them, it's not unusal that the safer "goat habitat" at the lower elevations are owned by the big boys.

reach
04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Since when are they called "rocky mountain goat"? Everyone I've ever talked to just calls them "mountain goat".

Buck
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Ouch, that hurts. It's all about the accumulative total, he who has the MOST goats when he dies wins, not the biggest! :-D

LOL Just trying to help in the motivation department.

sherpa-Al
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
LOL Just trying to help in the motivation department.

Believe me seeing that new world record is more than enough motivation!

Buck
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Believe me seeing that new world record is more than enough motivation!

You guys have any interesting stories about the guide i did a little search she seems to be a very accomplished mountain woman.

bighornbob
04-27-2012, 09:29 AM
You guys have any interesting stories about the guide i did a little search she seems to be a very accomplished mountain woman.

Heard of a few interesting stories of what she does to resident hunters camps and or gear she find in her territory:):)

No doubt she is an accomplished hunter, but as they say Karma's a Bitch and one day it will bite her in the ass.

BHB

behemoth
04-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Im very suprised at how this story is presented in the mainstream media. Very positive and factual with none of the usual anit BS. Great work Global!

Buck
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Heard of a few interesting stories of what she does to resident hunters camps and or gear she find in her territory:):)

No doubt she is an accomplished hunter, but as they say Karma's a Bitch and one day it will bite her in the ass.

BHB

Hmm well that makes her an accomplished b..tch so far

huntcoop
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Heard of a few interesting stories of what she does to resident hunters camps and or gear she find in her territory:):) ...

Don't tease BHB...........

s0ylentgreen
04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
hey bighornbob (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1285-bighornbob)
what stories you heard about her and hunting camps?
im curious!

Islandeer
04-27-2012, 08:02 PM

Keep your tag. And, Dude,who cut yer hair man??