PDA

View Full Version : So You Want To Kill A Monster Muley?

dana
10-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Before any of you wannabe's get your panties in a knot crying fowl about how not everyone is a trophy hunter Blah Blah Blah, this post is a response to several PM's I've received recently. If you don't care about big ol' muley bucks then don't read this thread. :lol: :lol:

So you want to Kill a Monster Muley? Tired of killing small bucks?

There is no secret to killing a big muley. No secret honey hole that holds Monsters behind every tree. If you want one, here are some suggestions.

1)You need to commit. Hunting Big Muleys takes serious commitment. Sure there are big bucks that get killed every year by some hunter who lucks into it. Being in the right place at the right time. If you feel you have horseshoes up your ass and go to Vegas every year and win big, then you are part of the select few that can continue to road hunt willy nilly hoping that you will win big. If you are not one of those lucky *******s that seems to win the 649 again and again, you need to hunker down and commit. This means giving up other hobbies and agendas and even hunting other species. You need to spend all your waking hours researching and doing your homework. Your wife may not be on board with this, so you better make it a joint decision before you do commit. Are you sure you are willing to do what it takes to commit? Your wife and family are way more important than some stinky muley. You need to have the whole family aboard.

2) You Need To Stop Shooting Little Bucks. Are you willing to pass on buck after buck after buck? Are you willing to end your season without cutting your tag. Is it important to you to kill a buck every year? If you can't let the little bucks walk, you will have a very hard time killing a big buck. Big Bucks do not live behind every tree. They are extremely rare. I can go days and weeks and never see a single buck that I feel is even worthy of a picture let alone worthy to hang on my wall. You need to look at a lot of bucks, keeping your finger well away from the trigger.

3) You Need To Learn How To Field Judge. You need to know what you are looking at. Is this buck a shooter or is he a buck that you should let walk. Too many guys see a tall rack and hammer the buck and then encounter 'ground shrinkage'. Books like Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman are great resources to teach you the art of rack bracketing. I would say get a hold of as many antlers as you can and learn to tape them. That way you will know what a 150 class, a 160 class, a 170 class and a 180 class all look like.

4) Put The Time In. 5 years of serious hunting, of researching and scouting, and you will be in the ballpark of how long it takes to kill a trophy buck. Are you willing to get skunked 5 years in a row? You need to do the research. You need to do the ground work. It never comes easy. I'm looking for muleys year round. I scout every week of the summer, I hunt every week of the fall, I post season scout every week of the winter, and a shed hunt every week of the spring. It is a year long passion. The more time you put in the better results you will see.

5) Get Into Shape. While some might think that chain smoking, fat asses and beer bellys are all part of the hunter's image, think again. You need to be in serious physical shape to be able to cover the ground that is needed to kill a monster muley. Now I know some older gentlemen that are successfull year in and year out without putting in the physical effort, I can assure you these guys have done the time. They know where to be when. If you haven't put in your time, you better park that quad and get moving. Big Muleys rarely hang out where there are a ton of hunters. They did not get big by being stupid.

6) Find An Area And Stick With It. Too many hunters jump from one so-called hotspot to another so-called hotspot. If a rumor of a big buck was killed there they think they have the elusive honey hole. The fact is, if a big buck was killed there, then it's dead. You need to find the buck while he's living. With the mild winters we've had stacked upon each other in this province, I firmly believe there is no one spot or Region better than another. I'd be still killing big bucks if I lived in Kelowna, Williams Lake, PG or FSJ. Best place to hunt is your back yard. You can spend way more time locally than jumping all over the province putting tons of miles on the ol' hunting rig. You get to know you back yard, you are bound to find a few bucks worthy of hanging on the wall. For those in the Lower Mainland, you can be in big bucks in 2 to 3 hours. Why drive past all that good ground and all those big bucks because you heard the latest rumour of big bucks being killed elsewhere. Learn your backyard. 5 years of commiting to the same area, knowing it in and out, and you will be successful.

mark
10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
VERY well written, all great advise, especially the hunt yer backyard part!!! This has always worked for me no-matter where ive lived!

Iron-Head
10-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Good post there's some valuable info' there.

WoodOx
10-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Sticky this!?

Dana - a question - whats the largest mule deer you have ever taken. (Those us trophy hunters out here)

JMac
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Excellent post Steve. I've often wondered how many guys roar up from the Island and lower Mainland for the North country. They put on tons of klicks and are driving by prime big buck country. I know from personal experience, cause I used to chase big buck rumours all over this province. That's why I'm pretty much bald from years of stressing out about not finding those big kongers! Once I started to key in on an area and learn it, the success followed. I still don't get big hogs every year and no matter what anyone says it doesn't happen every year either! Next time you head up north start getting bug eyed from Boston Bar/Lytton to Cache Ck. Friend of mine measured a lunker typical shot just outside of Hope a couple years ago!

MattB
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Dana hasnt ever taken a trophy mule deer, he's always been looking for that one big one....:lol:

BCrams
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Darn Steve - must you give out secrets lol. Despite this post, the percentage may only drop down to 99.8% Still a significant jump.

All kidding aside -

Those are the basic guidelines you need to follow.

JMac
10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I know a group of guys that have shot a handful of B.C. book bucks (215 Nt biggest) and a truck load of "iffer" bucks. Let me tell you those big iffer bucks are unreal. If you saw one of those big iffers blowin through the thick timber you'd give it a dirt nap!

MattB
10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Many hardcore muley hunters never get a buck in boone and crockett! Steve has seen boone and crockett bucks he just hasnt been able to get a shot, or the brush has been to thick, or for various reasons! This guy see's big bucks and knows them....personally!
Who passes on a 184" muley, who's strong antler scores over 90", if both sides matched we're talking a 200" typical....and Steve filmed this buck with a video camera with no image stabilization. Looking at the video it does not shake one bit, no buck fever....this guy has ice water flowing through his veins!

JMac
10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
IMO. The mulie king is/are the big boss mulies themselves! The ones that live in no mans land in the summer and early fall, the ones that are walkin knee to chest deep in snow to the winter range. The ones that survive 365 days a year to man, wolf, lions, and mother nature. They are the kings! "They just make ya look famous" when you cross paths!

MattB
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Thats a tough question to answer.

Dana see's BIG bucks in areas that are extremely TOUGH to hunt! Im sure many guys will experience that this year and the majority will become discouraged.

Cody shoots big bucks but the hunting is not in anyway tough. You go out to a field, spot a 230" mule deer and crawl on your belly until you are 30 yards from it. Then pull back on a 60lb draw bow and release....Theres no 15km hike, no pack out, and no trees/brush to contend with...Basically its shooting wild cows!

I've taken some solid bucks! 2 in the 180" class. My next 3 biggest bucks range from 165-174". Now, Im working on taking the next step in the trophy mule deer hunting world. And thats moving from the solid trophy bucks, up to the bucks in the world class category. Im talking about typicals that NET 190"+ and Non-typicals that NET anywhere over 210". Im still unsure if i can keep my finger off the trigger though, there's always those bucks that have interesting racks or just look damn nice! And my firing pin may strike primer on one of them this year, you just dont know until you see 'em!

IMO-Hunting the early season bucks is easier than hunting the rut! Early season you have the ability to see great distances and pattern deer (although muleys arent really patternable). If you spot a big buck you know the general area he will be the next day. Whereas during the rut, you could see a monster buck at last light then head back the next morning and the buck will be 20km away. You just never know where the does will take them.

Caveman
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Judging by some of the pictures there may be a few B&C bucks, & quite a few BC book deer taken among us. I've taken one that fell 1/8 of an inch short of the B&C because of a 8" fifth tine. A lot of the reason of my success in taking this one is because I follow a lot of what Steve has said. I shot that buck in 2004. The last buck that would even give that buck a run for his honey was in 1994. A ton of lesser bucks passed on hoping to run into a B&C. A couple of meat bucks in between but other than that I didn't cut my tag. Find an area and stick with it, put in the time, sacrifice a few tags, learn the habits of the deer in your area. Don't settle for anything less than what your trophy is, whatever that may be. The only thing I don't necesarily agree with is you have to walk twenty miles from the road, but you will have to go where the average guy won't bother to. If you go where Steve tells you to you will boost your odds of running into the buck of your dreams.. As Steve has said learn to tell the difference between a 170 class and a 190 class because at a glance the difference can be quite small or very obvious. Good Luck:)

Will
10-30-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm not giving out advice on killing a world class muledeer am I,Whats your point?Just Because One does Not choose to "Enter" one's Deer in the B&C......it does not mean he doesn't possess such a Trophy ;)

Brambles
10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Good read Steve, hard to believe you typed all that though:lol:

Seems like good advice, It seems I'm not as determined to shoot the biggest buck on the mountain as you are at this stage in my hunting career, I'm still at the improving stage where I just want to find good spots on my own and shoot something better than last year. I don't think I'll have a problem passing on 150 - 160 class deer but I don't know if a 170-180 typical jumped out I think I'd have to take him, And if he had trash then It would be all the more tempting. Never seen a true non-typical yet. One area I'm going to try and learn is known for Non-typicals so thats why I want to see for myself.8-) Kind of still in the "finding worthy spots stage"

There's also this area I seen on a map with a big neon sign blinking "CAMP DANA" that looks interesting too. HA- HA just joking:lol: I'll be freezing my ass off in a regular unheated tent

Good luck on your season, I look forward to seeing some of the pictures you usually have to offer and hopefully you don't need to eat "tag soup", hell I hope I don't either, I'm alergic;-)

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok Rick,Where is this booner buck your hiding ? :lol: Your always down playing your talent ,you tell me you shot a 2.5 lb spruce grouse,and I know its more like 3 lbs.Mr. humble.:lol:

Will
10-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok Rick,Where is this booner buck your hiding ? Your always down playing your talent ,you tell me you shot a 2.5 lb spruce grouse,and I know its more like 3 lbs.Mr. humble.
Well Post up ALL Your Monster Mulies you must be Hiding...:lol:
Then see what else Turns up !

And That Grouse was 5 LBS if he was 2 !

For the Curious....Here's a Little Dana Dink.
What do you think it Scores ?
Yes I saved the Pic from long ago.......it gives me a Chubby !
(Yes the Buck.......& not Dana:| )
Although I heard Firebird likes Shiny Belt Buckles:lol:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Hank.jpg

WoodOx
10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Not a blood clue what he scores, an educated guess? 214'' gross, 191'' Net?

a beaut of a buck, regardless.

dana
10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
BigHunterFish,
Who was talking B&C? I am talking about big ol' Monster Muleys. Who gives a flying #### about net score and getting your name in some book. You want to pass on a 225 buck with a weak G3 on his driver's side that keeps him out of the Book? ;)

dana
10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Agaucher,
Good Eye, close. 215 gross, 203 7/8 net NT.

BlacktailStalker
10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
That is a F*&^ing hammer !

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
So Dana,Your climbing up the ridge in late November, and there are two monster bucks together ,one is a typical who will go high Boone and Crockett ,the other is a non typical lots of junk close to Boone but not quite.You shoot the non typical ? :lol:

WoodOx
10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
So Dana, When you we get "So You Want To Kill A Monster Whitetail" thread - or do yah typically focus on mulies? =D

Brambles
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
So Dana, When you we get "So You Want To Kill A Monster Whitetail" thread - or do yah typically focus on mulies? =D

IMO you can use a lot of the same ideals for whitetails as Dana has posted.

The spot I've been hunting whitetails I have only seen 4 does and 3 bucks. I shot 2 of those bucks, one was 130 and the other over 160. You don't need to see a lot of deer to shoot some decent bucks. A book whitetail in B.C. is a tough bill to fit, the odd one down south and a few more WAY up north but not like mulies. Patience pays off.

dana
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
BHF,
I'd hammer that NT any day. I like my bucks on the Trashy Side. ;) As for a situation like that ever happening again, lightening doesn't normally hit twice.

Agaucher,
You could apply this thread to pretty much any critter. You have to be commited and focused. One reason I haven't taken up sheep hunting is cause I know I won't be able to commit the time to it that I need. The old saying that BCrams says, 'The year you take up sheep hunting is the year your ram is born'. Right now, at this point and time in my life, I don't have that much time to commit to getting a trophy ram. I pretty much just a Trophy Muley Nut. I have good friends that can be classed as Trophy Whitetail Nuts and I have other friends that are Trophy Sheep Nuts.

mrdoog
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I've never been one to concentrate on hunting a "monster buck".
So I guess I'm a meat hunter, and I do love the venison.
Dana's post is good advice for anyone looking for a buck.

mainland hunter
10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
thats an awesome buck Dana. i'd rather take a buck with character than one thats B&C. i myself dont have the patience to wait for a beast like that. I like not buying meat.

blacktailslayer
10-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I think everything Dana says is true, and I would also say this holds true for big blacktails here on the Island. Most guys hunt 10+ years to get a 100" Island book buck.

wetcoaster
10-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks dana it's a good post with good advice and is a good read. In terms of the pissing contests that have been rampant lately, of course dana comes off as arrogant it's his schtick, but with pictures like that monster shown on this thread he has earned the right as far as I am concerned. All levels of hunters come here to learn the trade and contrary to popular opinion even old dogs can learn new tricks. Isn't that what this site is all about a place to discuss hunting among like minded people and to better ourselves with advice from our peers? Posts like this are to far and few between. I wish all the experienced hunters on this site put in as much thought, time and energy into their posts as dana has here. It's advice take it or leave it but I would rather have that choice than have a hunter that has something to offer be shy about giving advice incase they come off as arrogant.

LeverActionJunkie
10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the great info I appreciate someone willing to share info. I personally don't give a @#** about getting a critter in "The Book", deer, Bear, whatever. This definitly doesn't mean that I don't like shooting big critters, I just need some more practice. Good Luck, may the wind be in your face.

steel_ram
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
"Your wife and family are way more important than some stinky muley"

Yup. Most guys I know with lots of trophies on the wall have had broken marriages, disrupted families. Even when they thought, "their wife's were on board". The cost of being so overly committed to hunting (or any hobby) can have long reaching consequences.

This game is best left up to wealthy bachelors.

NEEHAMA
10-31-2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ITP.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1626&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=454)

NEEHAMA
10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ITP_4.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1629&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=454)

NEEHAMA
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM
oops i forgot to write my little bit, but we often shoot big mulies (see above pics) that miss the b/c book because of deductions etc. but there still big! i see often smaller bucks make the book because they have better brown tines and BS like that. so just because it's not mr. boones way of scoring doesn't mean it's not still a hammer!

BIG AND WIDE BABY!...BIG AND WIDE!

Gateholio
10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Nice bucks NEEHAMA!!

What type of hunitg are you doing when you are getting them?

Still hunt? Spot and Stalk? Ground stand? Road hunting? Calling/rattling? Blindly runnign through the forest? :lol: 8-)

NEEHAMA
10-31-2006, 12:13 PM
a little of everything. but the single most important thing for me is it has to be nov 20-30 and must be mid-week hunting. too much traffic seems to spook all the deer deep into the forest. my preference is to cover ground. road hunt alot. then get out and still hunt the areas i seen the most action.

gordied2006
10-31-2006, 03:09 PM
nice pics NEEHAMA DANA is right about puting in the time.ive hunted muleys for 32 years this season ,for the last 20 seasons over 50 days a year.last year 70 days some around home but mostly in very good country.my best is mid 180 and lots 150 and under. it takes many ,many hours of hunting aloneso you can go where you want to go, not where somebody else wants to go.IMO there is no better day than on the breaks of the fraser in muley season alone:lol: :lol: good luck

dana
10-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Neehama,
Nice bucks! Nice to see new pics that I haven't seen before.

Here's a few of ours.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/03NT5a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_1143.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Thads184c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/SteveDoubleDrop2.jpg

dana
10-31-2006, 06:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0193a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0272a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/WB2003ba.jpg

ianwuzhere
10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
WILL- what region was that big ass NT mulie taken?

dana
10-31-2006, 06:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Matts183typical.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Thad3.jpg

dana
10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Apr2a002a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Apr2a003a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Apr14a001a.jpg

dana
10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/MassNTrash04-05a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_1387a.jpg

mark
10-31-2006, 08:03 PM
As long as were doing show and tell, heres a few, me and a couple buds poked in a few days of mid nov. reg. 5 hunting in 2004!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/501nice_racks.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=435&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

WoodOx
10-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Nice bucks guys

Dana - can you tell us any story behind the LIVE buck on your last posts? He looks like a brute, but I presume you arent going for him or he would be dead instead of on film. Anything significant about him besides he great mass?

dana
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
That's a buck I call Mass 'N' Trash. The pics of the sheds his 2005/2006 set and his 2004/2005 set. I've been hunting hard for him but have yet to seal the deal. Just because you might know where a monster lives doesn't guarentee he's dead to rights. He scores right at 225 in those pics.

WoodOx
10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Good luck with him then. Wherever it is you hunt, obviously has some good back country bucks!

dana
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
There are bucks like these in almost every Region of the province and if you are willing to put the time in scouting, you'd be amazed of what you turn up. BC has the genetics to produce seriously Giant Deer, many of which die either of old age or end up as cat scat never to be seen by human eyes.

bsa30-06
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Dana, thanxs for sharing this i always like to read this kind of info.

LeverActionJunkie
10-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Damn boys those are some hogs!!! I personally have never shot a deer like that, maybe never will, but it's nice to know I was right in believing that they are out there. I've always thought that because of the vast timber etc it's easier for them to stay hidden, unlike the wheat fields and coulees of the prairies. Sometimes I wish i diddn't see deer steak BBQ'S, and spicy jerky every time I catch up with a little "dink":lol: Allwell, still fun being out there.

Islandeer
10-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Maybe I'll see that buck in the East Kootenay in 10 days or so... if not I'll settle for his younger and dumber son. good luck with mister huge Dana.

Mulie_Hunter
10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Some Seriously nice Deer there boys!

Caveman
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/JaylaBuck.jpg

Taken in 2004 not real wide but tall and great tine length. :)

WoodOx
10-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Straight - flat - long: what'd he score - 194 gross?

(apoligize to anyone annoyed by my constant asking of scores, trying to perfect rack bracketing lol)

Caveman
10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Again, good eye. 196 5/8 gross. 179 7/8 net if you are interested. The fifth tine and difference in the G4's made the difference but a great trophy just the same.
No relation to Jelly Roll are ya ? :lol: :lol:

The Hermit
10-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Well I've never considered myself a trophy hunter. I don't see anything wrong with not shooting smaller bucks and appreciate the keen sense of success that would come from putting in the effort to get a monster.

I would love to have the time and focus to follow that advice... maybe next year. This year I just want to cut my tag and have some venison again... well and some Elk too! Hoping to see some big whitetail in Alta next week! It won't be the same as a high country hunt but big would be nice!! ;-)

Caveman
10-31-2006, 11:15 PM
;-) Hermit, I don't consider my self a trophy hunter either, But as long as the freezer stays full of moose etc, the deer tag will remain un-cut unless he has the size i'm looking for or it's closing day maybe.;-)

todbartell
11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
by no means huge mulies, but my best two

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/13Pictures_747.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/13Pictures_731.jpg

saw one bigger than both of these 3 weeks ago, but I didnt have my big game rifle with me :mad: :-(

Elkhound
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Love the original post Dana......very wise words. Put in the time you will be successful. All the pics posted.....nice bucks guys

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Not 225 - but 166 3/6 (my biggest)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/DSC00517.jpg

dana
11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Neemaha,
I can assure you all my pics are indeed my pics. Anyone who's been around various internet hunting sites for any length of time know I post orginal pics I take myself. You need to find the live bucks before they can be dead bucks. Scouting in the summer and the winter helps pinpoint where the monsters live. If you think it's easy to take pics of monsters outside the hunting season, I challenge you to pack a camera with you and see how you do. I carry the video camera with me all the time including hunting season. Here's a pic I clipped off the video of a buck I passed on last year at under 20 yards. I ve named this buck Tall Timber. His strong side scores a whopping 90 inches. The reason I passed is he had a weak G3 on the side behind the bush. My buddy was able to track this buck 2 days later and drop him. He grosses 184. If he was matched he would have been a 200 inch typical. So yes, I do pass on monsters during the legal hunting season. When you are after a particular buck like MassNTrash, you are willing to let big ones go in hopes of finding a Giant.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_2871.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Thads184c.jpg

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Cool to see a before and after pic lol

JMac
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
If you live and breathe big mulies you see em year round. Guys like Steve are seein em and photographing them which I think is great. I know it gets me bug eyed! I'm sure many others are as well. Thats why I got my digital video camera etc. to put truth to the pudding and keep track of what I've seen. It's a slap in the nuts to have someone tell ya your pictures are scabbed etc.. It's a shame it does happen but IMO not by someone as obsessed as the few hardcores on here!

ASPEN
11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/hunting_040506_223_160_x_120_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3514&limit=recent) A decent region 3 - 4 x 3

slyfox
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Some good advice here guys. I've got a big Muley nothing like Dana's but he's not bad. He's in my picture gallery if you want to have a look at him. All this talk about big Muley's I am gonna see if I can get a bigger one then I already have. That might be hard because it took me about 7 years of hard Deer hunting to get this one. If one of you guys can attach the picture of my Muley in this thread I would appreciate it cause I am not sure how to do.

slyfox
11-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Here's the Muley...

Will
11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I've got a big Muley.....but he's not bad.
..........If one of you guys can attach the picture of my Muley in this thread I would appreciate it
If you mean this Fella......Yep "Not Bad" at all:roll:
Helluva Nice Buck SlyFox :o
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC007141.jpg

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
aye, gorgeous imho.

I love symmetrical NT

steveo32
11-02-2006, 01:59 PM
If you want to shoot a monster muley you just have to become friends with dana!!! I took the 202" double dropper on a hunt with him last year and now i have alot of work cut out for me to beat him!!! Thanks again dana and i will see you on the weekend!

steve

Will
11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
If you want to shoot a monster muley you just have to become friends with dana!!!
LMAO !
Now His PM Box is Filling up...............again :lol:

Steve, stop by for another Beer anytime........just Bring another set of Sheds for me to Drool on :)

Good Luck Boys ! Hammer Em ! 8-)

NEEHAMA
11-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Dana what is your largest book score on a mulie you shot to date so far?

steveo32
11-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Will when i get the time i will dig thru matts and my sheds and bring in some more gaggers for you to drool on!!!! the pic of you and your son is awsome i bet you cant wait until he holds a deer tag!

steve

Will
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
the pic of you and your son is awsome i bet you cant wait until he holds a deer tag!
You got that right ! :)
His Sister too ;-)
of course by then I'll be an Old Fart like Dana.......:lol:

Happy Hunting8-)

twoSevenO
11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
holy crap that is one nice mule deer. Nicest one i've seen in a long time
congrats to the lucky hunter :D

BCrams
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Super bucks for all those who posted their big buck pictures! They're all awsome mule deer!

Mr. Dean
11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
FREAK'N WWWOOOW!

I'm just getting caught up on sum surf'n.
Most of these pic's make the one I bagged recently....A DINK :roll:

But I do have a secrect that I'm keeping, for next year. :wink:

Mr. Dean
11-09-2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ITP.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1626&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=454)

NEEHAMA,

I know that you told me the score of this fella, when we were BS'n in the store a while back. But I'm sufferin from the CRS syndrome again.

One more time, PLEASE!
He's a bute.

WoodOx
11-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah hes a brute, Neehama also has a pic of him with an above average 3X4 in ads for a company called reliable gun or something like that.

chevy
11-09-2006, 04:39 PM
here is a few from the years of my own mulies

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/mulie2.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1906&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1292&sl=c)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ghostridermulie.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1905&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1292&sl=c)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/highmountainmulie.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1910&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1292&sl=c)http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/mulie_21.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3301&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1292&sl=c)

browningboy
11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Dana, not to disclose your area, but what region are you hunting? Looks like you've come across some nice game.

3kills
11-09-2006, 10:41 PM
browningboy those are all from region 2...lol just kiddin i believe they are region 3 buties...

Will
11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
browningboy those are all from region 2...lol just kiddin i believe they are region 3 buties...
Region 3 ? :???:
There are No good deer left in Region 3........:lol:

They all have been Shot or migrated to region 5,
Stay away from 3 ! :twisted:

3kills
11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Region 3 ? :???:
There are No good deer left in Region 3........:lol:

They all have been Shot or migrated to region 5,
Stay away from 3 ! :twisted:

ya i know that those were the last few that were in 3...

browningboy
11-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Actually no I don't want to kill a monster muley, rather get my moose or elk, had too many "gamey" experiences with big deer, if you want to get a monster elk, now you're talking, big moose lets go on, deer nothing wrong, just not my hardon!:lol:

Brambles
11-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Actually no I don't want to kill a monster muley, rather get my moose or elk, had too many "gamey" experiences with big deer, if you want to get a monster elk, now you're talking, big moose lets go on, deer nothing wrong, just not my hardon!:lol:

Don't kid yourself, a big elk is every bit as "gamey" as a big deer, and a big moose is just hard to chew. Anything BIG is going to be less edible, there is an exception to every rule of course but IMO its always a compromise between quality of meat and antler size.

Personally I'd take a little tougher or gamey meat in trade for a monster animal of any species, thats why we were given teeth and have invented spices:lol:

Gunner
11-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Dead Right Stonechaser,after 35 yrs of chasing Mule Deer I have some idea of how much work Dana puts into his deer hunting!Between pre season scouting,looking for a particular buck,and hard hunting in rough country,he deserves his success!If he cares to pass on some of his knowledge,I for one am glad to hear it.He certainly has the racks and sheds to back up his statements,Some on the board may not care for Dana's tone,but they cannot deny his achievements!I look forward to his posts.:) Gunner

rocksteady
11-15-2006, 10:33 AM
[quote=Brambles]Don't kid yourself, a big elk is every bit as "gamey" as a big deer, and a big moose is just hard to chew.

I have to disagree with this one, I have found that elk do not get nearly as gamey as deer, especially mulies. Even during the peak of the elk rut I have shot bulls that are not in the least bit gamey....

Depends on your tastebuds but that's my experience...

Will
11-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Well.....if my Aunt had ballz she'd be my uncle!
Now that's something Funny right there.........:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Actually,I am staying at Rendell creek cabins tommorow for four days with my wife,we will be looking for some whitetail bucks no baby ducks. :lol:

Brambles
11-15-2006, 07:24 PM
November you and 4 buddies show up with a truckload of studded leather, bubble bath, and Baby Duck....and you don't set foot outside the cabin for a month!

StoneChaser

Nothin spells lovin like a case of Baby Duck:lol:

mrdoog
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Baby Duck?
They don't sell that any more do they?
Only thing that makes a worse headache is Lonesome Charlie.
Hmmm, Lonesome Charlie, blends well into the degradation of this thread.

Triggerman
11-15-2006, 11:02 PM
My question is...

Lots of rifles in those pics.....Are any of them shot with a bow?
That really separates the men from the boys in my books.

Orangethunder
11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Just new to the site but I think I may recognize some names from huntshoot. Anyway thought I would through a couple of my best buck up for you folks to see. He's no monster but I had to have him mounted none the less. Hope you like.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/Hunt2005121.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/00550018.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/100_0827.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/Orangethunder/100_0834.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Nice buck OT!!

How come we're not getting any mid-hunt reports from the "monster muley dream team" ??? I see dana has poked his nose out on this site since his holidays started.
Dana-how are the holidays going???Any bucks down??

SSS

Orangethunder
11-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Nice buck OT!!

How come we're not getting any mid-hunt reports from the "monster muley dream team" ??? I see dana has poked his nose out on this site since his holidays started.
Dana-how are the holidays going???Any bucks down??

SSS

There may or may not be some stories to tell about their hunt. I will leave that up to Dana. I know this much, they had some really good weather and some crunchy weather.

dougan
11-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I dont have any real monster bucks but this year i took one that i felt was a shooter. I dont live close to the mulies but i leave the same day in november and put lots of foot work into the same mountian every time i go .I know the bucks are their i just have to hope for a little luck to get that big one. hope im on the right track!!

Islandeer
11-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Your on track, time and patience,and some luck!

dana
11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
SSS,
Holidays are over and I'm back at work now. Our hunt was memorable to say the least. No monsters hit the ground. Seen some just didn't have the luck to get them on the ground. Lots of disasters, lots of laughs and a ton of great times.

WoodOx
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Maybe ill get a monster in Alberta. I will see some though! THey tend to have more trouble hiding in them stubble fields...

Tinney
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Mmmmm alberta. Enjoy. Loved it there

dana
11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Tinney,
If you read the orginal post up on the 1st page, you will see where I said you can't kill monsters by shooting little bucks. What I consider a little buck is a little different than most. I can tell you we passed on bucks that most guys would give their left nut for in order to try to kill absolute giants. You will also see that I said you have to be willing to eat your tag year in and year out. The season ain't over yet. I'm not eating my tag until the end of shooting light on Dec 10th. ;)

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey Dana,Region 3 is open till Dec 10,what has been your experience hunting the post rut in Dec,I usually do not have a tag left, are the bucks hard to get after the rut? :|

WoodOx
11-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I know you didnt ask me BIGHUNTERFISH, but I find the bucks actually easier to find after the rut. Be it luck, or whatever, but I always run into more, nice sized ones in late season.

BCRams and Dana and them have more experience then moi tho, so ask em again.

dana
11-21-2006, 08:52 PM
BigHunterFish,
It is my experience it gets really tough from here on out. If you watch how things unfold, typically it is a Wham, Bam, thank ya Mam 3-4 days of non stop action. Then it gets really quiet. The young bucks are still easy to find as they think they might just get a piece of tail. But the old boys know better. They head for the thickest crap imaginable for weeks to heal up. Judging from how hard the bucks bred and fought this year, I know it's going to be very very tough.

WoodOx
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Dana or any of you crazy backcrountry hunters - you ever find a nice mature buck killed by another buck? Some friends of mine showed me a pic of a stab like wound in the neck of a 160-170 class buck from south okanagan they found in the bush. Thought it was cool. And no it wasnt a bullet wound in the neck.

dana
11-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Agaucher,
Here's a buck I believe died from a fight. I call him Labotomy. He's a 190 buck with a broken skull.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_1734.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_1735.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_1591.jpg

dana
11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Yea, the global warming has got to suck eh? Winters have been brutal up there the last few year ain't they? :)

WoodOx
11-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Hmm I always Thought Dana lived/hunted up north. Shows where presumptions can get yah.

Thats a nice looking rack Dana. Musta been a strong boy to puncture a hole like that in his skull. Chocolate coloration is nice too.

dana
11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I'll never hunt that flat ass country of the Peace. Just don't like shooting farm animals I guess. ;)

Agaucher,
I believe a heavy tined strong brute probably broke that antler right out of the skull. Shitty way to die. Probably smelled burned toast for a week before the infection set in. ;)

dana
11-21-2006, 09:43 PM
BigHunterFish,
I could be wrong but I believe Boo thought I was Rocky Bluffs that's why I got banned. Seemed like the 2 of us were punted about the same time. But then again, I did call Danny out for chasing bears a week after the season closed around that same time. I also threatened to give BCbucks a high country tuneup. :)

MattB
11-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Firebird, you ever heard of the safety seizing on a rem 700?

Byson
11-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I seen a nice 5 point muley sunday in rock creek it stood there looking stupid for 5 mins. I was hard seeing him i saw total of 18 deer a 5 and 3 point and 1 doe whitey the rest were doe

Marc
11-29-2006, 10:34 PM
OK sanitized and back open, lets keep it informative and on track.

Marc.

partsman
11-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Baby Duck?
They don't sell that any more do they?
Only thing that makes a worse headache is Lonesome Charlie.
Hmmm, Lonesome Charlie, blends well into the degradation of this thread.

A little off topic, but back in I think it was 74 in the okanagan, we used to mix southern comfort and lonesome charlie, real nice taste and by the time you felt the kick it was too late.

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Some good information for some mule deer buck hunters on this old old thread.
Jel ( Monster Shots ) Dig it.

spear
12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread is only fueling a budding obsession of mine. AWESOME

dana
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow Jelly actually resurrected an old thread that wasn't his own.

The thread brings back lots of great memories. Too bad the edits were made, as new members don't have a clue on some of the discussions. Cool to think I mentioned the season wasn't over yet and that was the year I killed MassNTrash on Dec 10th, the last day of the season. Also pretty funny to see Aguacher, aka Woodox, fishing in this thread just like he was fishing in a more recent thread that he started this fall.

I still stand by the orginal info. Lots of good tidbits there for those willing to put the time in.

Gunner Staal
12-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Great to see some good advice....and dont get me wrong I know its good. I would like to see a thread on what all the "Mulie Messiahs" (You know who you are) on this site do for a living....an honest living. I know I work 60 hours a week on average so the ridiculous amount of time people claim you have to put in....and that they put it in, year after year seems pretty much impossible on a standard workin mans job. I would like to add one last secret to big mulie success. If we spent less time ego stroking on some of these threads....you would have more time to fulfill the 876,354 hours of work required to kill a trophy mule deer. Enjoy the outdoors, friends, family and the scenery. Thats the trophy.

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
FUEL the Obsession, ... So You Want To Kill, ..... a Monster Muley?
JP .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Huge Muley
.................................................. Dana

killer
12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Might be an old thread but i am still drooling.

dana
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Great to see some good advice....and dont get me wrong I know its good. I would like to see a thread on what all the "Mulie Messiahs" (You know who you are) on this site do for a living....an honest living. I know I work 60 hours a week on average so the ridiculous amount of time people claim you have to put in....and that they put it in, year after year seems pretty much impossible on a standard workin mans job. I would like to add one last secret to big mulie success. If we spent less time ego stroking on some of these threads....you would have more time to fulfill the 876,354 hours of work required to kill a trophy mule deer. Enjoy the outdoors, friends, family and the scenery. Thats the trophy.

Gunner,
I personally work in the bush doing forestry field work. On the weekends I'm out in the bush hunting, scouting, filming or shedhunting. It is a year round passion and there ain't too many days in a year where I ain't out there. As for time spend online versus in the bush, 99% of my log in time is when it's dark. Hard to do any effective scouting at night. ;)

AT&T
12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Before any of you wannabe's get your panties in a knot crying fowl about how not everyone is a trophy hunter Blah Blah Blah, this post is a response to several PM's I've received recently. If you don't care about big ol' muley bucks then don't read this thread. :lol: :lol:

So you want to Kill a Monster Muley? Tired of killing small bucks?

There is no secret to killing a big muley. No secret honey hole that holds Monsters behind every tree. If you want one, here are some suggestions.

1)You need to commit. Hunting Big Muleys takes serious commitment. Sure there are big bucks that get killed every year by some hunter who lucks into it. Being in the right place at the right time. If you feel you have horseshoes up your ass and go to Vegas every year and win big, then you are part of the select few that can continue to road hunt willy nilly hoping that you will win big. If you are not one of those lucky *******s that seems to win the 649 again and again, you need to hunker down and commit. This means giving up other hobbies and agendas and even hunting other species. You need to spend all your waking hours researching and doing your homework. Your wife may not be on board with this, so you better make it a joint decision before you do commit. Are you sure you are willing to do what it takes to commit? Your wife and family are way more important than some stinky muley. You need to have the whole family aboard.

2) You Need To Stop Shooting Little Bucks. Are you willing to pass on buck after buck after buck? Are you willing to end your season without cutting your tag. Is it important to you to kill a buck every year? If you can't let the little bucks walk, you will have a very hard time killing a big buck. Big Bucks do not live behind every tree. They are extremely rare. I can go days and weeks and never see a single buck that I feel is even worthy of a picture let alone worthy to hang on my wall. You need to look at a lot of bucks, keeping your finger well away from the trigger.

3) You Need To Learn How To Field Judge. You need to know what you are looking at. Is this buck a shooter or is he a buck that you should let walk. Too many guys see a tall rack and hammer the buck and then encounter 'ground shrinkage'. Books like Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman are great resources to teach you the art of rack bracketing. I would say get a hold of as many antlers as you can and learn to tape them. That way you will know what a 150 class, a 160 class, a 170 class and a 180 class all look like.

4) Put The Time In. 5 years of serious hunting, of researching and scouting, and you will be in the ballpark of how long it takes to kill a trophy buck. Are you willing to get skunked 5 years in a row? You need to do the research. You need to do the ground work. It never comes easy. I'm looking for muleys year round. I scout every week of the summer, I hunt every week of the fall, I post season scout every week of the winter, and a shed hunt every week of the spring. It is a year long passion. The more time you put in the better results you will see.

5) Get Into Shape. While some might think that chain smoking, fat asses and beer bellys are all part of the hunter's image, think again. You need to be in serious physical shape to be able to cover the ground that is needed to kill a monster muley. Now I know some older gentlemen that are successfull year in and year out without putting in the physical effort, I can assure you these guys have done the time. They know where to be when. If you haven't put in your time, you better park that quad and get moving. Big Muleys rarely hang out where there are a ton of hunters. They did not get big by being stupid.

6) Find An Area And Stick With It. Too many hunters jump from one so-called hotspot to another so-called hotspot. If a rumor of a big buck was killed there they think they have the elusive honey hole. The fact is, if a big buck was killed there, then it's dead. You need to find the buck while he's living. With the mild winters we've had stacked upon each other in this province, I firmly believe there is no one spot or Region better than another. I'd be still killing big bucks if I lived in Kelowna, Williams Lake, PG or FSJ. Best place to hunt is your back yard. You can spend way more time locally than jumping all over the province putting tons of miles on the ol' hunting rig. You get to know you back yard, you are bound to find a few bucks worthy of hanging on the wall. For those in the Lower Mainland, you can be in big bucks in 2 to 3 hours. Why drive past all that good ground and all those big bucks because you heard the latest rumour of big bucks being killed elsewhere. Learn your backyard. 5 years of commiting to the same area, knowing it in and out, and you will be successful.

Great to hear such no nonsense writing Dana. 99% of this is the recipe for good Whitetail bucks as well. I dont know how many times guys have said to me. Why didnt you shoot two bucks this year if you saw so many. Duh. Persistance patience then do it again. Great words Dana
cuts through the bullshit!

Gunner Staal
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Must be a pile of saggy gutters and overgrown lawns outside some of these trophy rooms.

dana
12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
If you are caught in the Honey Do trap, you probably ain't gonna kill a monster muley. ;)

fozzy
12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
It's best when one's honey likes to chase Mulies too :)
Thanks for bringing an old thread back to the top. I took two months off work this year to hunt Mulies, not much to show for it. Learned more pieces of the puzzle, helped a co-worker tag one, lost a few pounds, passes up lots of little ones.. Fun season!!

blindguy
12-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey dana if you have a chance could you post a pic of mass and trash for all of us who have ever seen it.Thanks

Ferenc
12-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Dana, when you mention scouting are there any rules....can you over do it....do you scout your areas just like if you are hunting them.... do leave the area alone once you know it harbours a huge mulie either by seeing it or picking up his sheds .....

dana
12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Dana, when you mention scouting are there any rules....can you over do it....do you scout your areas just like if you are hunting them.... do leave the area alone once you know it harbours a huge mulie either by seeing it or picking up his sheds .....

The last thing you want to do in the summer scouting months is blow a monster out of his nest. This is particularly important when scouting above timberline. One common mistake that many make is to skyline themselves. Best to keep a low profile and scroll an area and make as little impact as possible. Glassin' from a distance is ideal.

dana
12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey dana if you have a chance could you post a pic of mass and trash for all of us who have ever seen it.Thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/MassNTrash01-02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/Dec11003a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/MnT04-05c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/MnT04-05a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/Mar13016a.jpg

dana
12-15-2010, 08:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/MassNTrash05-06a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/Mar13019a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/Dec11008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/08630024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/MNT10.jpg

frenchbar
12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
The last thing you want to do in the summer scouting months is blow a monster out of his nest. This is particularly important when scouting above timberline. One common mistake that many make is to skyline themselves. Best to keep a low profile and scroll an area and make as little impact as possible. Glassin' from a distance is ideal...

Steve with a lot of pressure and eyes on them they are mor than likely to leave the nest ...but wouldnt go far to leave it i would think ..next basin over a little farther and deeper into no mans land ..just a bit more walking and work thats all :wink:

dana
12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
If a buck is spooked hard enough, he'll head into his secondary nest, which normally is a hellish spot.

frenchbar
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
If a buck is spooked hard enough, he'll head into his secondary nest, which normally is a hellish spot.

ya ..like down in the steep drainages..where my wore out body doesnt like going :mrgreen::)

Jelvis
12-15-2010, 10:13 PM
You couldn't climb down and then have to climb up with a big four point mule buck in your pack sack. You'd look down there and say, nice spot but you wouldn't really do that at middle age? lol.
Jel . cayoosh country .. lol ..

butthead
12-16-2010, 06:41 AM
well i fall into the got the lucky horse shoes up my ass syndrome
becouse i sure get some nice ones

Sitkaspruce
12-16-2010, 07:47 AM

What???

Some nice horseshoes????:wink:

Lets see them, post them up......(the nice ones that is)

Cheers

SS

MattB
12-16-2010, 08:07 AM

People say I have those too! Don't know if I believe them though...

Gus
12-16-2010, 08:12 AM

Are you kidding, I dont know how you even sit down anymore ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Are you kidding, I dont know how you even sit down anymore ;)

He doesn't sit down.....too busy hiking everywhere!!

SSS

blindguy
12-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for putting those pics up for us again.
Freakin awsome buck!!!!!

dana
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Your golden horseshoes must have come off a big ol' draft horse. ;)

Jelvis
06-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Nice buck on number 129 is that a Nor river?
Rocko

shed-hunter1
06-18-2011, 10:22 PM
best thread ever

dana
06-19-2011, 07:41 AM
This thread definately brings back some great memories. Thanks Jelly for the laugh again. :)

mrak
06-19-2011, 08:49 PM
4 point is just the start as big mule deer is a game to be played out to the end even if you go home empty it is the ones you could have made the shot you smile about and somtimes are the best hunts.

Stéphane
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Great thread, but I'll be happy with any kind of muley since I have no interest in trophy. I'm planning to scout all summer, so if I spot a "monster", can I sell the information? I'll give a share of the profit to dana, of course. ;)

cwocarsten
06-19-2011, 10:51 PM
My problem is, my version of a trophy buck is simply one that will be tender vittles not a wall rack. So I normally shoot the first legal one I see and I am happy with that.

BigBanger
11-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Some great advise here. One day I'll be able to resist the "meat buck" and land myself a wall hanger. I hope.

okas
11-23-2016, 11:05 AM
i stopped killing 4 points long ago allso uneven racks stickers hanging down only if they match up :tongue: deer a i mean mule deer hunting is a hobby nothing better is that busted:oops: look they give you and you let them go

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2016, 11:09 AM
revived from 2011..wow...I guess good info never gets old

BigBanger
11-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Your right, good info never gets old. There are some great tips in this thread from guys who know what they are doing with pictures to back it up. It just makes sense to listen to guys who have had success with big mule deer.....

okas
11-23-2016, 06:10 PM
4 point is just the start as big mule deer is a game to be played out to the end even if you go home empty it is the ones you could have made the shot you smile about and somtimes are the best hunts.WOW my old post as i got banned back then :oops:

Brez
11-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Miss Dana. He's one of the guys who really made this site great.

MichelD
11-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Good advice. I read it again just for fun even if the following applies:

"If you don't care about big ol' muley bucks then don't read this thread."

Stone Sheep Steve
11-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Great info here!
Biggest thing is that it takes dedication. Half assed efforts don't usually cut it.
I Know people that constantly blame the regulations for their lack of success while others seem to just know how to get it done more often than not.
The blamers who keep blaming other things for their lack of success are defeated before they even leave the house.
They might as well pack it in.

sss

Ourea
11-23-2016, 07:52 PM
I will some it up with these words.......

"Most dream of success, while others wake up early and work hard on it every day"

adriaticum
11-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Dana hasn't been on here for a year and a half.
That's a shame.

Ourea
11-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Dana hasn't been on here for a year and a half.
That's a shame.

Can't blame him.
Tough crowd.

Buckmeister
11-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Some great advise here. One day I'll be able to resist the "meat buck" and land myself a wall hanger. I hope.

For the last 8 years I have resisted shooting the "meat buck" so I could land a wall hanger......until this year. My wife was giving me the gears for letting so many meat bucks walk, so I went and shot the next thing I saw, a young tender buck. A few weeks later I was staring from 55 yards away at the trophy buck of my dreams and not a dang thing I could do about it. :mad::mad:

blindcast
11-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Telling it like it is! Thank you, Dana. Those words are both a motivation and an inspiration. They'll certainly be on my mind as we end one season and embark on the preliminaries to the next. I've rarely heard it put so straightforward and concise.

HarryToolips
11-23-2016, 10:19 PM
For the last 8 years I have resisted shooting the "meat buck" so I could land a wall hanger......until this year. My wife was giving me the gears for letting so many meat bucks walk, so I went and shot the next thing I saw, a young tender buck. A few weeks later I was staring from 55 yards away at the trophy buck of my dreams and not a dang thing I could do about it. :mad::mad:
Lol isn't that the way it always goes eh...my only 6 pt elk I've had stand broadside to me was one bugling away, 5 days before the season started - then I never saw him again..