PDA

View Full Version : Treestand Turkey

The Dude
04-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Question:

Since birds have such great vision, incl color vision, and are highly susceptible to movement, why does everyone seem to set up on the ground and camo the living crap out of everything. If you can pinpoint a roosting/feeding corridor, wouldn't it be wiser to get up a few feet in a treestand?
Or do you have to "stick-and-run" too much for this to be practical?

kgriz
04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
The tree-stand method would work OK in places where birds are never disturbed...otherwise, as you stated, lots of the time the run and gun strategies need to be applied.....that being said, I usually carry some decoys with me during this just in case I have enough time to put them out for an attraction and distraction.

The Dude
04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
That's pretty much what I figured, but I would think that, like Whitetails, once you identify a group and a pattern, that you could set up some tree stands and call from them. ideally, you have a Whitetail/Turkey area, and could build up several treestand locations.

Bobfl
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I agree tree blinds are ok if the birds are not disturbed. I spend an hour calling a turkey this week and they do have good eyesite as I got busted. I was totally hidden as the hen came into the open. The gobbler still pegged me.