PDA

View Full Version : La Sportiva- Glacier

fuzzy
04-24-2012, 06:20 PM
I did the west broadway walk today and 4 stores and many different boots on my feet i came home with La Sportiva Glaciers. These seem like a kickass boot.
Seems to have a nice tall toe cap and rand, laces to the toe, NON-GORTEX! Stiff yet nicely rockered for walking on the flat. I do wish they were leather lined but hey you cant always get everything you want.

I took them for an hour walk with the dog and did develop a bit of a pressure point on outside of my right foot, just before my pinkie toe at the widest part of my foot. I am hoping this will pack out a bit as i break em in.

Anyone else have any experience with these boots or tips on the pressure point?

thanks
fuzzy

stroh72
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Definately a nice boot. They were just a little wide for me. Went for the Scarpa Mantu. 3 hour walk bushwacking on Sumas Mtn in the rain and....they feel awesome!

Jagermeister
04-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Yup. I sure do.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/GEGR.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=26163&title=la-sportiva-glacier-evo-moutain&cat=500)
La Sportiva Glacier EVO. A boot that probably is best of the rest but is largely overlooked, especially the color offerings of late.
Pressure points, thought I had one on the left boot right at the little toe joint, turned out to be a wrinkle in the sock. Straightened that out and there are no pressure points for me.

RiverOtter
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
I run La Sportiva's as well and they are a decent boot. Mine are 3 years old now and I find that they soak up water a bit if walking in wet grass etc. Not a big deal, except for the fact they take a long time to dry.

I started with Meindl's, then went to Scarpa's, then tried Aku's(Which sucked ass, BTW) then La Sportiva's, and I'm thinking my next boot will be another pair of Meindl's. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap, and feet can be a fickle thing to please....

Jagermeister
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I have walked through creeks with mine and have not had any water absorption problem. I do make sure that the leather part is well treated with Nikwax product, especially the tongue area.

RiverOtter
04-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Mine have soaked up 2 tubes of Nikwax, and while it does help for a bit, prolonged exposure to moisture still soaks em to the core.

RENO
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
What made you choose these boots? I am curious, I recently bought a pair of Danners black all leather, I really like them light too, waterproof and 600 grams thinsulate. anyway it's always good to et some feed back on new products for future purchases. I bought my gal a new pair as well she loves them they are Viotto ,hiking/hunting boot, they are still quite still for her as well but nice fit, my Danners fit like a glove out of the box and have been through water passed my ankles no problems,amazing leather.

fuzzy
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I also have a pair of Danners. Mine are the Canadian model. They are like wearing slippers. Just like slippers you dont want to carry heavy loads over uneven rocky terrain. My danners have there place and i really enjoy them but they are not in my mind a hiking or mountain boot. They have considerable nicks in the leather for what i consider to be light use. Danners also generally have a goretex liner so this is where the waterproofing comes from.

I chose these boots because they are a stiff, solid boot. They dont have gortex so my feet will breath better and the boot will generally dry out quiker if it has been fully drenched. They have a high rand to avoid rock rash and are crampon compatible if i should ever need them. They are a boot for heavy loads and steep terrain.

Unfortunatley after wearing them for some more time around the house with my pack on, part of my foot went numb. I will be returning them and going back to the drawing board.

I am frustrated as these boots fit what i was looking for but they are just a bit to narrow at the front.

fuzzy