PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice

Casagrande
04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Looking for help here. I'd like to start bowhunting and know NOTHING about it. Case in point - I'll hold the bow with my left hand, so am I left handed? I'm 6'1" and 185lbs (and tough as nails according to Gatehouse:mrgreen:). Grouse River has a Bowtech Assasin package for $700. I don't want to have to upgrade parts all the time, so are these packages good enough? That's about what I'd like to keep it around. Or what do I have to spend without upgrading "cheap" packages. For hunting and obviously practice. All info and associated BS appreciated. Thanks.

markt308
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
you hold it with your left but you draw with your right? that makes you a RH shot

Casagrande
04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Now we're getting somewhere!

markt308
04-24-2012, 03:55 PM
haha, sorry i have notthing to add about the bowteck package. I have a Fred Bear package that I bought about 4 years back and its been awesome. I think if you wanna keep your price down a RTS package a great way to get started

Bow Walker
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Don't hesitate about the 'package" bow. The accessories on it will do you right thru your learning curve and beyond. You'll only upgrade because you want to - not because you have to...

Get measured for draw length by someone who knows what they're doing - it's critical to developing a decent shooting form. Shooting form is the basis for accuracy, take the time to learn........

nature girl
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I think if your going to spend the money on a bow. Go and look at some first. Usually the archery guys at the store will tell you how to hold it and shoot it. And dont be afraid to ask any questions you have for them.

bearhunter338-06
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
PM sent...........

Islandbowhunter
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree with markt308 and Bow Walker, the package bow is a great way to start. The technology has so progressed that I would say even an entry level bow is superior to the top end bows of a decade ago.

I would aim for a mid-level package. Nature Girl is right about holding a few different bows if you can.

I like short mechanical releases like the Fletcher Flathead as you recover usable draw length.

Go with the "blazer" style vanes on your arrows if shooting a biscuit, which probably comes with the package. Then they won't bacon up on you.

BCHoyt
04-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I bought the assassin package on boxing day and I love it... Right out of the box it shoots deadly... Fast, accurate and very quiet... The parts that come on it are quality... I have upgraded my stabalizer but thats all. I would highly recomend one..

Sideofabarn
04-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I looked at those last year. Seemed like a decent package, and I would have bought one if I hadn't found a better deal through this site. I think it has been addressed in other threads that you may end up upgrading your accressories over time. That's fine, as you will see, a new sight can cost anything from about $70 to about $300 or more if you try. Gives you time to get familiar with your equipment, and upgrade as you see fit. At this stage, most of your inconsistencies can be blamed on user error unfortunately (inconsistent achor points, fatigue, the list goes on).

Gateholio
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Take head and neck shots only.