PDA

View Full Version : Deer sightings this year????

mark
10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Im curious as to everybodys findings during the deer hunting youve done this year. I know deer pops are supposed to be at a high right now...BUT...Personally, ive hunted alot more, and harder, than i ever have before, and im seeing FAR less deer than average. Ive hit some region 5 oct. honey holes (no honey :-( ). Ive been hunting the kelowna area very hard lately and seeing no-where near the amount of deer that i normally do. So hows everyone elses deer hunting going? Are you seeing more, the same as always, less, or way less than normal amounts of deer?

bsa30-06
10-30-2006, 08:06 PM
I spent 2 weeks in the lytton area and only saw 1 doe usually this time of year i see about 20-30 of them.So my vote would be way less.

WoodOx
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
A little bit less.
Ive been hunting alot, but have already tagged a Moose and 4pt Muley (about 145")

Saw a few whitetail bucks on the weekend - average to small size. Missed a average 4pt muley this evening with my bow as well =(.

I cant say that ive seen as many as usual though, nor as large. It seems the deer I have seen are around the similar amount, but not the size I typically do. Might be because the rut is JUST gettin going!

Keep at it guys, it only takes one, and only takes a second to pull the trigger!

Good luck

(Mark anymore bucks on the cam?)

Caveman
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Took my son out on Sunday for about three hours, saw 16 deer, two three points scraping, a 150 class 4 point and the rest does and fawns. This is the only real chance I've got out for deer. Better than a lot of days last year, so I'm not about to complain just yet.:)

wetcoaster
10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I saw lots of deer when I was in region 5-14. I didn't get a shot at a buck I wanted to take but saw alot of them (no brutes except on the hwy on the way out isn't that alays the way), I filled my doe tag others in my group got their bucks. I am going back up in the next few weeks and will let you know how it is.

I found that I had to change my hunting patterns from previous years over thanksgiving mainly because the deer just were not moving much and stuck hard to thick cover. I still saw as many deer but shots were more difficult to get in the thick stuff. I think they should start moving now that it is cooling off, maybe it was just to warm.

brotherjack
10-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm seeing gobs of deer. Must have seen 50 mulies this morning alone. Couldn't convince any of em to grow that fourth point for me though.

But I will comment on something I am very aware of this year. In years past, it was unusual to see a doe without at least one fawn. The last two years, triplets wasn't even very uncommon. However, this year - to even see a fawn is rare. Lots of does, and lots of year and a half old fawns, but I bet I could count the number of this year's fawns I've seen so far without running out of fingers.... not sure what to make of that, but them's the facts as I've seen em.

WoodOx
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Likewise, not many fawns either. Like you said Jack - a TON of year olds.

Have any of you guys ever seen a buck gets its ENTIRE horn knocked off its head? Saw a 3 point that ive seen a whole bunch once again this evening, missing on entier horn. Fighting injury maybe?

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Lots of deer, lots of fawns, lots of bucks. I'm seeing 15 - 20 deer most days, and I'm a lazy-ass road hunter with a quad! :wink: I haven't had a day out yet this year without seeing game.

000buck
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
only did 3 day hunts this year and saw over 50 deer ..... no really seems to be that were getting over run on the south island

todbartell
10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
i havent seen any huge numbers, Id say average, or a bit below...In my area

30-06
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
iv seen loads of deer lots of does and 2 points..but i know of 3 nice 4 point bucks .im gunan take one,my bro the other and my friend the last one..i havent seen 1 elk this year,,and about 10 moose including up north

pmj
10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Region 5-1, 100 Mile House: We have never seen so many does in all the years we have been going up there. Also a fair share of fawns. Could be the mild winters and lack of predators. Bucks are allusive as ever, only see their signs in the dens bush.

Bigbuckadams
10-31-2006, 06:02 AM
#'s for me are about average, maybe a wee bit lower for Whitey's than normal, but haven't hunted them as much as in the past. Went out yesterday ( Monday ) and saw over 60 Mulies, 10-12 bucks. Only one average sized 4-point, the rest were spikes and 2-points. I will be hitting things hard starting Friday ( I hope, moving the next 3 days ) until next Thursday. Just got my digital camera, so I am hoping to figure out both how to use it and post pics ASAP. It's a FujiFilm S5200 if anyone wants to PM me with any hints as I am technology-handicapped...lol.

mark
10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
What only 12 guys been deer hunting this year?

(Agaucher, lots of whities, a few lil bucks, a couple hunters also.)

Ride
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
I am seeing a lot more deer in the areas i hunt around PG. Hopefully when i head back to the Kootenays for a hunting trip here in the next little bit i will see lots there too!

CooperSscat
10-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello All,

Has anybody seen or had luck for bucks out the West side of Harrison Lake this season? I went out yesterday and saw minimal tracks due to the frost. No deer droppings were seen although a healthy dose of fresh bear scat was stumbled upon! The deciduous trees still have lots of leaves-dropping leaves fast though-which hampers visibility low down. It's also tough for listening as the sound of falling leaves is constant. Gald to have found this forum! Good luck to everybody!

Dieseldog6
10-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I spent 3 days in 3-32 at the beginning of October. Saw about 20 does total, but no bucks. It was still too warm and dry - I think I needed to get way higher and farther from the roads to find bucks so early.

WoodOx
10-31-2006, 12:53 PM
The bigguns are starting to come out. I saw/missed a couple last night. Without question its the rut, theyre sniffin and startin to trail does. Not at a heated pace, but never the less they arent givin em up

Phil
10-31-2006, 02:13 PM
I've hunted area 5-1 this year and have seen 3 to 4 doe each day. One day I counted 16 total. I have seen 3 bucks in total. The only one in a legal place to shoot was a spike... so I shot it. I'll let you know how it tastes after the meat comes back from the butcher.

WoodOx
10-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Aye - congrats Phil!

hitch
10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Spent a few days in my Region 5 "honey hole" , saw plenty of deer and several bucks but all little guys. I'm waiting for the last week of Nov in region 5 and the first week of Dec. in region 3 to cut my deer tags.(hopefully)

ianwuzhere
10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
i would say a lil below average- no shortage of fawns this year in areas i hunt-region 7- seeing more whitetails, seen some bucks early season but they all seem to hide later in the season, seeing lotsa scrapes just nuttin leavin em...

blaker_99
10-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Way to go Phil, Always good to stock up on a little meat for the freezer. Cheers

LeverActionJunkie
10-31-2006, 09:16 PM
I personally feel like I've been seeing more than usual, could be a mind trick but I haven't been in the bush without seen a handful of deer. Last Week I was ridin my horse across a small ridge when I seen a couple mulie does then as a I pass the only bush on this ridge two decent twopoints stand up and stare at me like I was interrupting something. Too bad I was looking for a whitetail, as I already cut my Mulie tag. haven't seen a single Whitey.

rock
10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
I hunted region 8 this year and half to admit never saw so many deer and I only hunted 4 days, 15 bucks 21 does 6 fawns, not bad for the outing. Arrived on that tuesday and had a 3 point on the road going in 2 km from our camp so I let him walk, later on that same day shot my four point from my stand just before dark. A day later went for a walk on the opposite side of the ridge and found out they logged the whole damn thing, then I realized why we saw so many deer where we were hunting was there only cover, good for me bad for them.

MichelD
11-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I did all my hunting in a two week stretch October 4 to 18, starting off in 8-5, where I saw about 15 flat tops in one day, and virtually nothing the next in the same place though I found their beds.

Changed locations a bit and saw about 8 deer, two of them small bucks.

I was on a mission to fill a doe tag in 5-14 so I went there and I was surprised at the lack of sightings, though there were plenty of tracks.

Saw four.

Then travelling north to 7-11 to meet a buddy to help in his quest for a cow moose and to maybe shoot a calf, I saw too many to count, including some bucks on private land on the east side of the Fraser River.

Saw a handful by the side of the road too.

Then in 7-11 over 3 days, there were times when I'd only see about three a day and another day I saw 10, all does.

Funny thing was that I was bicycling and then hiding the bike and walking on overgrown skid trails and seeing deer and guys in trucks would come by and say things like "Boy, it sure isn't like it used to be around here, there's just nothing moving around."

This after I had just seen five i nthe space of a 1/2 hour at mid day right off the same road they were driving on.

They were looking, but they weren't seeing.

mikek blacktail
11-01-2006, 11:18 AM
seeing a ton of deer this year not alot of bucks but enough that I've cut all my deer tags two of which are book blacktails

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 11:28 AM
two book blacktails? Ive seen a pic of one, but humor us and post em both. Love to see nice bucks!

hoochie
11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Ive seen far more deer in the summer than I have this fall. In the summer they come out of the hills and walk around the new subdivisions, but once the fall began.. I havent seen a thing. We headed up to Kamloops ( saw one deer in town) and we were all over the map in all sorts of areas.. yet to see a deer in season. Was up in the Harrison area, and only found old tracks, no fresh signs.
When I got back to town, a buddy of mine told me he had the same experience.. he went to his "honey hole" and only got one grouse!
Its comming though... I have another trip coming up.

mikek blacktail
11-01-2006, 01:18 PM
two book blacktails? Ive seen a pic of one, but humor us and post em both. Love to see nice bucks!

my blacktail I got in bow season scores1132/8 pope and young I don't have any pics but i'll put a pick of that rack when I'm done mounting it

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
cool sounds good
whatd your rifle one score?

mikek blacktail
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
[quote=agaucher]cool sounds good
whatd your rifle one score?[/quote

not offical yet but he gossed 125 1/8 and nets 116 ish by my scoring hope i'm right just hoping it'll make the bc books

WoodOx
11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Cool - good luck with makin em!

CooperSscat
11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Well I went back out to Harrison West FSR. No fresh tracks or droppings on the spurs or edge lines of cuts. Leaves weren't falling like a couple of days ago which was good as it was very quiet in the bush. I managed 1 ruffed grouse at 3 PM on my way back out to the Morris Valley Rd. I think I may try sniffing up by Chilliwack lake tomorrow before the rain hits hard! Any suggestions up that way?

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Try going up Chipmunk and hunt when the rain is pouring down.:roll:

Nooker77
11-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I havent seen half the deer this year!! I've usually passed on 10 whitties and a few mullies by this time of the year....seen afew dinks and thats it!! Not even alot of does in my "honey holes"!! Not sure if its the extra dry summer or what!! I live on a 300acre farm and there just arent the deer around there either this year??? These next 2 weeks should get interesting....hoping!!

~T-BONE~
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Weather change here cold nights and snow, followed by the rut!!!! No doubt in my mind at all afterall we are into November.

mark
11-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I have to say the weather change is helping alot!!! 44 does yesterday, 17 more today, no bucks to be seen. Some huge rubs, so he cant be far!

WoodOx
11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
44!? Jebus! Wanna go huntng tomorrow mark?

Lol, i chased 6 around in circles for about 2 hours this evening, sometimes I do and sometimes I dont find a buck with them - tonight, no buck. I can imagine that the probability of catching a buck with them will only increase over the next 8 days!

Take some pics!

stixnstones
11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey mark nice pics man.Really a couple of brutes.Are those from this year? How come they are not dead? Need a field dresser let me know.

CooperSscat
11-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Well I went out Chilliwack Lake way a couple of days ago prior to the heavy rain. I only saw 2 grouse in my travels. Decent Deer sign at end of Chilliwack lake but the road has not been graded in some time. :-( Foley lake road has active logging. Chipmunk road is deactivated so I took a quite walk up and into 2nd growth. Lot's of deer movement there actually; scads of game trails and abraded lichens where deer have walked by trees/branches. I may try there again late in the season when I've got help to haul out that elusive blacktail and when there's some snow on the ground!

I'll be off to MU 5-03 next week having fun seeking a big mulie. :-)