PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba Vs. Big Agnes SL1

SR80
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Im trying to decide between these two tents, Im just wondering if anybody has any real world experience with them. Im leaning towards the Hubba right now. Im concerned with the length, I am 6'2 and don't want to be squished end to end when laying down. Thanks.

bighornbob
04-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Being that you are looking at the SL1 I assume it is just for you??? I was in the same boat a few years ago and when I saw a SL1 erected I bought the SL2. I use it for just myself and find the SL2 has plenty of room that way. It would be pretty cramped if two guys were in it but it could be doable if you like to spoon? With the SL1 all your gear will have to be left in the vestibule. With the SL2 I can bring my pack in the tent and leave the vesitbule for my boots and cooking gear.

I see you are from Kamloops, if you want to see the SL2 in person send me a PM.

BHB

Ike
04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Im trying to decide between these two tents, Im just wondering if anybody has any real world experience with them. Im leaning towards the Hubba right now. Im concerned with the length, I am 6'2 and don't want to be squished end to end when laying down. Thanks.

This is all based on information I got from a conversation with a knowledgeable sales person, unfortunately I haven't tried either yet.

I was considering both tents a couple of months ago and was cautioned that the Hubba fits a bit short, at 5'11" the clerk advised me that I would likely be cramped end to end.

The Seedhouse has been improved for 2012, lighter and stronger poles.

Not a real life report I realize, hope it helps

SR80
04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Being that you are looking at the SL1 I assume it is just for you??? I was in the same boat a few years ago and when I saw a SL1 erected I bought the SL2. I use it for just myself and find the SL2 has plenty of room that way. It would be pretty cramped if two guys were in it but it could be doable if you like to spoon? With the SL1 all your gear will have to be left in the vestibule. With the SL2 I can bring my pack in the tent and leave the vesitbule for my boots and cooking gear.

I see you are from Kamloops, if you want to see the SL2 in person send me a PM.

BHB

I never looked into the SL2 before, but i did some research online and its pretty much the same weight as the hubba, that may be the way to go. Sometimes I will have my dog with me so the extra room would be handy for sure. Thanks

Yak
04-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Just got back from Tasmania, and bought a new big agnes SL2 person tent. It was quite small for my self (6 foot) and girlfriend (5, 5) but would be a perfect one man hunting tent! It only weighs 2.5 pounds which was what really sold me on it. Same weight as a water bottle. Perfect 1 man tent

depopulator
04-29-2012, 07:31 AM
I have used the SL2 for 4 or 5 years now - mostly for sheep hunting. The SL2 is perfect for one guy and some gear, SL1 is too small. Be sure to take the few minutes to set it up with all the guy lines to ensure you stay dry. Two minor issues: it could use better ventilation, but keeping the top of the vestubule open a crack and propped open with a small stick helps; and I'm not a fan of the front vestibule when fully open overhanging door opening, so water can drip in on wet days. Otherwise, a great mountain tent and mine has held up in some serious storms and even a blizzard.

SR80
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the input. I've decided to buy the SL2!

Bistchen
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I just happened to lie inside the hubba hubba (2 person tent) at a display in the store. I am 6'1 and there was plenty of room, even with gear I can imagine. It will be a tight fit for two people but it can be done.