PDA

View Full Version : Prawn Fishing

Moosestick
04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Been doing quite well prawn fishing in Brentwood Bay...Went out yesterday & got about 350 in 4 hours....Nice size too....Yummy

Dutch Ppoacher
04-22-2012, 08:09 AM
so where were you REALLY prawning?!? comments like this are to keep ppl away from your good spot.... right?!?

Moosestick
04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Brentwood Bay is a large area....You would know where I was if you saw a boat driven by steam...That would be me..

pescado
04-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Get them now because the commercial boys will be fishing in the next couple of weeks and you won't have a chance once they start.

Moosestick
04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
How long do they fish...One week..two weeks? I suppose they clean them out?

Spy
04-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Been doing quite well prawn fishing in Brentwood Bay...Went out yesterday & got about 350 in 4 hours....Nice size too....Yummy
How many are you alloud to take a day?

Moosestick
04-22-2012, 08:52 AM
200 per licence....There was two of us so we could get 400

pescado
04-22-2012, 08:57 AM
How long do they fish...One week..two weeks? I suppose they clean them out?

2 months, + or - a couple a weeks. Most of there take will be in the first week - 10 days, than it gets harder for them. Fish hard now because the easy ones will be all gone soon and you might loose your gear if your competing with the commercial guys.

Moosestick
04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Ya...I've heard that if they pull their gear & your pots are mixed in you loose your pots....Two months! Man that's a long time....I noticed there was quite a few pots down when I was out so your right...Everyone is fishing hard before the com. guys get in there

04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
My dad has been in there quite a bit this season and doing well as well. He and his buddy went halvsies on a puller this season. It makes dad want to go more. Lucky for me i happen to get a couple bags here and there!

dakoda62
04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Steam powered boat, lets see some pics of your plant.

bigwhiteys
04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Brentwood Bay is a large area....You would know where I was if you saw a boat driven by steam...That would be me..

lol... I lived in deep cove for a long time and my friends and I were always out fishing/playing around out in the channel in our little boats. We were sitting down at the dock one day and we were talking about how we wanted to catch prawns really bad but none of us really knew where to go... Not even 2 minutes later we saw Charlie White (salmon guru) loading his prawn traps onto his boat from across the bay, haha... We just followed him right to his spot and put ours down too... never had a problem catching prawns after that... The only problem was pulling your trap before the indians did hahaha.

buzz720
04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
We tried prawning (we fish the north coast) and never had any luck. Tried a whole bunch of different places. In this one bay we set down crab traps, one square blue one round mesh one ("lost" our other square blue one so we were using the back up). When we pulled up the traps a couple hours later, low and behold, there were about a dozen prawns in the round crab trap. So now we have our secret prawn spot in anywhere from 40-150ft of water. Sure beats pulling up 400 ft of line :p