PDA

View Full Version : Baiting blk/bears

digger dogger
04-22-2012, 06:31 AM
I was thinking of Call of the wild's thread on his bear rugs, and the fact that in Alberta it's legal to bait blk/bears, but not in BC.

I think there could be good in the idea, more quality bears taken, less orphaned cubs, to many sows in an area that could get controlled, guys/gals that want a smaller "meat bear" could pick and choose, more blk/bear tags filled because you can control how far off the beaten path you want to pack out a bear. Maybe permits for private land, where the bear population is heathy?

The cons to it I can see, people setting up to close to active hiking trails, leaving bait barrels behind once the season is over, getting to your bait on crown land and somebody else is sitting over it.

I'm not trying to get a thread locked or start a heated debate, just looking for the good and the bad to baiting bears. I think blk/bears should be baitable in BC, wadda you guys/gals have to add, good or bad? Plz keep it civil HBC.. :-)

tracker
04-22-2012, 06:51 AM
I personaly like the spot and stock way ,but sure would like to try the bait method too, In some areas that would be the only way to go. So ya no problem here.

The Dude
04-22-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm kinda against baiting....... I dunno. I like hunting the Alpine and ultimate Fair Chase, but I'll admit you have a point.
Bears are the only thing we're not alowed to bait....why is that? We can bait Elk and deer and sheep? But not bears?
And the timing and selection thing works too. You're in a tree stand watching, making sure there's no cubs with a sow.
So there are Pro's and Cons, to be sure. I think it might be a fun and lively thread!

MATTIAC
04-22-2012, 07:03 AM
I like baiting, Have a trapline in alberta we bait on. I would like the option to do it here, especially since I have a good acreage they cross to hit the apple orchards. I know they are there, but they never stick around.

i think you nailed a few of the more important pros and cons in your post.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Training bear to come to garbage is never a good idea.

ThinAir
04-22-2012, 07:54 AM
We're lucky here in bc.... We don't need to bait to have success.
Clearcuts, slides, estuaries etc are all the bait we need. A person can selectively harvest using these examples.

Gateholio
04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
At one time bear baiting in BC was legal. I'm not sure why it was outlawed, but possibly it was to attempt to appease some anti hunting people. Maybe some of the old timers or ex-guides could give some insight?

As for baiting bears? Why not? It works in other provinces, it's an accepted practice just about all of Canada except for BC. There are ways to manage it properly.

That said, baiting is so much more work than most other types of bear hunting, that I'm not sure how many people would really get into it. BC's terrain lends itself to spot and stalk (or the more popular F250 spot and stalk) techniques, so I don't know if I would want to go to the extreme effort of baiting when there are much easier ways to hunt bears.

warnniklz
04-22-2012, 08:03 AM
I couldn't sit in one spot long enough to bait a bear.

Nothing against tree planters but where I go there's enough tree planters for bers to much on. So I guess I do bait bears.

BCBRAD
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
I was thinking of Call of the wild's thread on his bear rugs, and the fact that in Alberta it's legal to bait blk/bears, but not in BC.

I think there could be good in the idea, more quality bears taken, less orphaned cubs, to many sows in an area that could get controlled, guys/gals that want a smaller "meat bear" could pick and choose, more blk/bear tags filled because you can control how far off the beaten path you want to pack out a bear. Maybe permits for private land, where the bear population is heathy?

The cons to it I can see, people setting up to close to active hiking trails, leaving bait barrels behind once the season is over, getting to your bait on crown land and somebody else is sitting over it.

I'm not trying to get a thread locked or start a heated debate, just looking for the good and the bad to baiting bears. I think blk/bears should be baitable in BC, wadda you guys/gals have to add, good or bad? Plz keep it civil HBC.. :-)

Nothing wrong with heated debate! The wildlife in this province is managed by the people of the province (in the form of gov't). This is akin to farming, a farmer manages its herd. The gov't allows so many animals to be taken out of the herd/population based on gender , age ,location etc. The public demands healthy numbers in the animal population and through management that's what we have, with adjustments depending on audit results. To that end, what difference does it make how you harvest that animal ?

silvicon
04-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I guess it's about the Grizzlies.
As I understand, in AB no baiting in Grizzly areas.

houndogger
04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
I have always thought it would be another great option to have out there.

mjmbc
04-22-2012, 08:27 AM
theres only a few areas in ab that you can bait i dont agree really with baiting anything but why would you want to train more bears how to eat garbage and to many people would do it to close to populated areas

Gateholio
04-22-2012, 08:34 AM
At one point in BC, it was legal to bait grizzly bears. Why that changed, I don't know.

hunterdon
04-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Yes at one time it was legal to bait bears. The antis wanted to stop bear hunting altogether,especially the spring hunt. They argued that bears are vulnerable to baiting, especially in the spring as there is less available feed and to hunt over a bait pile was "unsporting". The threat was to stop the spring hunt altogether. Although they may not officially say so, stopping bear baiting was a compromise to take the heat off from the antis and preserve the spring hunt. Ontario wasn't so lucky. They managed to stop spring bear hunting altogether. And yes they were baiting spring bears until they stopped the spring hunt.

As far as I'm concerned, bear baiting has certain advantages as far as conservation is concerned. It makes for more effective selection of class of bear to be harvested. As large male bears are the choice for most hunters, it gives the hunter a much better opportunity to observe the bear and to make his decision as to which bear to take or not. The removal of large male bears has little effect on the overall bear population. For that reason I would support bear baiting, but with some common sense. Example; not near built up areas. Regardless of which hunting method we choose to hunt our quarry, the more the better, provided conservation and safety concerns are first met. The antis know they can't stop hunting outright, so they use the divide and conquer method. They sure seem to target bear hunting.

And oh by the way, The rule change years ago regarding the mandatory retrieval of edible portions of black bear was brought about for the same reason. A compromise to the antis.

houndogger
04-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Never heard of people using garbage to bait bears? Any bears nose will come to a good food source.

BromBones
04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Nothing wrong with baiting bears.

I get a kick out of guys calling it a lazy way to hunt, but figure driving up a logging road and popping one from the truck is somehow more 'ethical', and not lazy at all. The same people that think running bears with hounds is lazy and unethical as well.

We can bait deer and moose, etc, and place massive baitpiles of meat and snare wolves/coyotes off of them if you've got a trappers license. What's the difference? Look how many guys on this site thought PG66's wolf snaring threads were so awesome (which they were). What was he doing? Baiting and killing... that's all trapping is - bait a critter in and kill it... not much difference if you're doing that with bears, only you're at the bait and use your rifle or bow (or spear;) ) rather than a trap/snare, and you take a max of 2 animals. Is trapping unethical and lazy? Hell no. So why is bear baiting, when you're basically doing the same thing?

Would I do it? Probably not as it takes a lot of time and effort to set up a productive bait, and spot-and-stalk for spring bear is one of my favorites. If I knew there was a big old boar working an area that I couldn't manage to find, maybe I'd try to lure him in. Regardless, it would be nice to have the option - I dont think there's any reason to limit ourselves with methods of hunting black bears when the population is so thick in some areas.

MATTIAC
04-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Im sure there could be rules and permits put in place for baiting if it was ever to be allowed again. for example, no baiting withing a certain radius of a town or city, applying for a permit or buying a baiting license for a particular area, having to put signs up "bear bait in area" to keep out people who arent hunting, or even list of foods that can and cant be used.I see mention of feeding bears garbage, I dont know about you, but I never take garbage to the bush. in alberta for bait, we have one 45 gallon drum with a 6" hole, and a steel cage chained to a tree. We fill the baits with decomposable foods, like beaver carcass, fish carcass, donuts, things like that.

i guess its fine to have those rules, but i dont know how well they would be followed or monitored. im new to hunting BC, and yes there is plenty of slides, cut blocks and what not to spot and stalk bears here vs flat lands like some part of alberta.

moose2
04-22-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't have a problem with baiting bears. I could see some issues for guys hunting black bears over bait where there is a good mix of blacks and grizzly's. Like the hunter that is ready to climb out of thier stand with thier bow to head home just at dark. Having a griz on the bait or trails heading to it might cause issues. Aside from that I could see some advantages to baiting as mentioned earlier.
Mike

Steeleco
04-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I've never understood the difference between knowing where that killer blueberry patch is and placing bait in a good bear area. It's a dumb rule. That's said, I'd have to agree that it's not really required in BC, but if you want too why not?

hunter1993ap
04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
before i started reading this thread i was opposed to baiting bears but there are some good points that favor it. i am not against baiting bears but i dont really agree with the whole baiting thing in general for hunting because it just doesnt seem right to me. i would rather see people baiting bears than people baiting deer. i dont have a problem getting animals without bait so why do the extra work.

MATTIAC
04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Also typically baiting is used for guiding so just because it's legal doesn't mean everyone is doing it.

Bear Chaser
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I personally have no interest in baiting bears. I do know several guys in Alberta that hunt that way. It is a great deal more work than spot and stalk. It also requires finding an area that is productive in terrain & bear numbers. There is a little more to it than throwing food scraps, etc into a barrel in the bush.
Once the bears find a bait site the hunter still has to have the patience to put the time in on stand or in a ground blind for hours and days at a time. In BC I feel we have better scenery to explore than sitting in front of the same patch of muskeg and spruce trees for the whole spring season.
Next is the issue of grizzlies. In Alberta it is in fact perfectly legal to bait black bears in areas where traditionally grizzlies have not been in great numbers. Lately there seems to be a trend by the Alberta fish & wildlife branch to relocate problem grizzlies to the northwestern corner of the province along the BC border. I have heard of Albertans finding grizzly pictures on their trailcams at baitsites. The guy I talked to said the grizzlies completely destroyed his friends bait whereas the black bears are usually content to enjoy the free meal. Given the aggressive manner in which grizzlies protect their food I wouldn't want to be the one walking in to a bait in thick brush.
Since we have considerably more grizzly bears in BC than in Alberta I could see the beginning of a lot more conflicts between bears and humans. Obviously there would be an increased association for bears to link human scent to food in areas where baiting takes place.
So I guess in short I'm against baiting bears in BC. Hard to say given the good times I've had over the years watching some of them hit the ground with high speed lead injections.

Barracuda
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I dont have a problem with it . People routinely put out bait stations and cameras for bobcats and cougers to run the dogs off of and i dont hear of any major issues , I know in the states they do the same for bear .

The only issue with a bear bait station in warm months would be location (proximity to used hikeing trails ,townships etc) and cleanup after season ended.

A simple permit and registration marking the gps location would work.
Its alot of work so i doubt the average guy is gonna do a bait station i think that the very fact that you can bait for everything but bear allready and almost no one does kinda proves this .

TheProvider
04-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Its definately alot of work, sure bears get into garbage but you need good bait to keep your bears coming back. Specially once berries rippen up it can be a challenge. Rotten meat won't keep them there. In ontario I've seen a lot of clean baiting sites but I've also seen some that look like a small dump. Wrappers, bags, bottles, can, barrels. all thrown about. Tons of anti hunters are against it as they believe its cruel. But then again to them everything a hunter does is cruel.

TheProvider
04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Would be a great way for youth hunters. Gets them nice and close for clean shots. And even though sitting takes alot of patience it can be amusing with multiple bears 20yrds from you. I however prefer spot and stalk.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
best Bear bait is Joeys Only Oil, Puffed wheat mixed with Moleassis and Tim Hortons Honey Creullers ..

Its a butt ton of work ... but worth it if you want to be picky about the bear you cut your tag on ... I know guy that set baits a month before they even think about harvesting a bruin .... check and reset on a weekly basis .... My buddy Scott has got a sweet Looking Choc on one of his 8 stations ... His boy is sitting in the Drivers seat this weekend triing to get a shot at it ..... If he does .. you all will see footage of it

kootenayelkslayer
04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
best Bear bait is Joeys Only Oil, Puffed wheat mixed with Moleassis and Tim Hortons Honey Creullers ..

Just about everyone who baits thinks their secret recipe is the best! Truth is most bears will pass up just about everything to get at beaver meat.

Anyway, like a few others have said, I'm pretty certain the main reason for no baiting of black bears in BC is due to grizzlies. I can't imagine trying to deal with g-bears on your black bear bait.

Call of the Wild
04-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I would say baiting bears in BC is not a good thing because of the grizzly population and their vast territory through the province. Politically bear beating is a good thing for politician because the majority of the population doesn’t support this type of hunting action/behaviour.

In Alberta areas where a population of grizzly is know to be present, there’s no black bear baiting allowed and if a grizzly find a black bear bait where it’s allowed the resident hunter or guide/outfitter is required to report it to a F&W Officer and has to shut down his bait. I was informed this is to prevent human/grizzly conflicts which cause grizzlies to be shot for self defence since grizzly are aggressive when protecting a food source. Also that regulation is to prevent hunters from shooting a grizzly thinking it’s a color phase black bear, I know there are a differences between both bears but some hunters can’t make the difference due to lack of knowledge and add the emotions while hunting it did happed in the past.

I talked to few hunters who had to shut some baits since a grizzly found it. Two of them told me it’s not the regulation that forced them to do so, it’s the fact that the grizzly charged them and after that they had no intention to continue hunting over that bait and they were in areas where grizzlies are not know to be. I can only imagine there’s only very few places where it could be possible to set up a black bear bait in BC and the odds of a grizzly finding it would be very good. Personally it’s not worth it for us hunters and the grizzly population to allow baiting for black bear in BC.

In some areas it’s very hard to do a spot and stalk bear hunt, like most the flat land in northern Alberta covered with dense poplar/spruce. Yes clear cuts and oil cut-lines work but you don’t see that many bears due to flat land. In all my years scouting and hunting in Alberta I can count on my hands how often I saw black bears besides while I was sitting on a bear bait.

For those of you how think hunting black bears over a bait is easy, yes you’re right if you only want to shoot a bear. But to set up a bait or baits in an area with a lots of bears, to keep them at the bait for weeks by making sure they don’t run out of food and to hunt for a mature boar in legal light involve a lot of work, time, energy and money to be successful year in year out.

BearStump
04-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I just dont like the idea of baiting bears. It seems so "unsporting" amd unnatural. to me, it would take away from the experience of spotting a bear in its natural habitat and puting together a stalk that works.

Ambush
04-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I wish it was legal to bait bears. I don't want the stink or the work myself, but I'd sure like to be able to shoot some of the surly buggers that eat my deer food!!
:evil: :mrgreen:
Nothing like checking a trailcam and having 100's of pics of black fur and no deer.

Ambush
04-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I just dont like the idea of baiting bears. It seems so "unsporting" amd unnatural. to me, it would take away from the experience of spotting a bear in its natural habitat and puting together a stalk that works.

Just as natural as shutting off the truck 'cause the diesel shakes the hood so bad, you can't see through the scope. :-D

Call of the Wild
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes at one time it was legal to bait bears. The antis wanted to stop bear hunting altogether,especially the spring hunt. They argued that bears are vulnerable to baiting, especially in the spring as there is less available feed and to hunt over a bait pile was "unsporting". The threat was to stop the spring hunt altogether. Although they may not officially say so, stopping bear baiting was a compromise to take the heat off from the antis and preserve the spring hunt. Ontario wasn't so lucky. They managed to stop spring bear hunting altogether. And yes they were baiting spring bears until they stopped the spring hunt.

As far as I'm concerned, bear baiting has certain advantages as far as conservation is concerned. It makes for more effective selection of class of bear to be harvested. As large male bears are the choice for most hunters, it gives the hunter a much better opportunity to observe the bear and to make his decision as to which bear to take or not. The removal of large male bears has little effect on the overall bear population. For that reason I would support bear baiting, but with some common sense. Example; not near built up areas. Regardless of which hunting method we choose to hunt our quarry, the more the better, provided conservation and safety concerns are first met. The antis know they can't stop hunting outright, so they use the divide and conquer method. They sure seem to target bear hunting.

And oh by the way, The rule change years ago regarding the mandatory retrieval of edible portions of black bear was brought about for the same reason. A compromise to the antis.

Actually from a black bear research and from the experience of a few black bears guides/outfitters in Alberta I know, the harvest of mature boars increases the black bear population in a hunted area. Large territories that are outfitted for 10-20+ years have strong black bear population since a reduction of mature boars increases the survival rate of cubs from year to year. Mature boars often kill cubs which cause the sow of those cubs to get into estrus.

I know an area close to Peace River that been hunted for bears intensely in the spring and also during the fall for the last 20-25 years and the black bear population in that area is excellent but it’s hard to find really old bears now and they are bait smart. They come in at bait sites at last light or during the night only and they know danger is hiding up in the trees too so they are very nervous bears at a bait.

The research was published in Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine October 2010 issue. I’m sure the whole research can be found somewhere.
Here’s a link http://sci-northern.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ResearchSupportsSpringHuntingofBlackBears_October2 010.pdf

BearStump
04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Just as natural as shutting off the truck 'cause the diesel shakes the hood so bad, you can't see through the scope. :-D

LOL, I've only ever shot one bear from a FSR. and it was my least favorite one. I can remember thinking to myself after the shot..."why the hell did I just shoot that thing anyway" I much prefer hiking into the alpine areas around the FV then spotting and and stalking.

Bear Chaser
04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Call of the Wild thanks for the clarification regarding the shutting down of bait sites in Alberta when a grizzly has moved in. I suspected it should be so but had not heard otherwise. The site I mentioned with a grizzly taking over a bait was in the Spirit River area IIRC. Lots of roads and open land to cross between there and anything resembling the wilderness we are led to believe grizzlies require to exist.

digger dogger
04-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I would say baiting bears in BC is not a good thing because of the grizzly population and their vast territory through the province. Politically bear beating is a good thing for politician because the majority of the population doesn’t support this type of hunting action/behaviour.

In Alberta areas where a population of grizzly is know to be present, there’s no black bear baiting allowed and if a grizzly find a black bear bait where it’s allowed the resident hunter or guide/outfitter is required to report it to a F&W Officer and has to shut down his bait. I was informed this is to prevent human/grizzly conflicts which cause grizzlies to be shot for self defence since grizzly are aggressive when protecting a food source. Also that regulation is to prevent hunters from shooting a grizzly thinking it’s a color phase black bear, I know there are a differences between both bears but some hunters can’t make the difference due to lack of knowledge and add the emotions while hunting it did happed in the past.

I talked to few hunters who had to shut some baits since a grizzly found it. Two of them told me it’s not the regulation that forced them to do so, it’s the fact that the grizzly charged them and after that they had no intention to continue hunting over that bait and they were in areas where grizzlies are not know to be. I can only imagine there’s only very few places where it could be possible to set up a black bear bait in BC and the odds of a grizzly finding it would be very good. Personally it’s not worth it for us hunters and the grizzly population to allow baiting for black bear in BC.

In some areas it’s very hard to do a spot and stalk bear hunt, like most the flat land in northern Alberta covered with dense poplar/spruce. Yes clear cuts and oil cut-lines work but you don’t see that many bears due to flat land. In all my years scouting and hunting in Alberta I can count on my hands how often I saw black bears besides while I was sitting on a bear bait.

For those of you how think hunting black bears over a bait is easy, yes you’re right if you only want to shoot a bear. But to set up a bait or baits in an area with a lots of bears, to keep them at the bait for weeks by making sure they don’t run out of food and to hunt for a mature boar in legal light involve a lot of work, time, energy and money to be successful year in year out.

Very good points, as a few have said conflicts with Grizzlies. But there are a number of places in BC that don,t have G-bears.
I didn't think about the g-bear situation, as I live in an area that has no grizz population.
And the political side aswell.

Barracuda
04-22-2012, 03:22 PM
vancouver island would be a gizz free zone as well as many places on the mainland.

tons of bc are dense foliage or non mountainous cattle country so you cant see them on the sides of manmade clearcuts on mountains(which some would say is not natural) so to say that is why you accept it in other places but not here seems rather silly.
ontario you see plenty of bears as with alberta and manitoba not the same density in poulation as here but there are good numbers.

Call of the Wild
04-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Very good points, as a few have said conflicts with Grizzlies. But there are a number of places in BC that don,t have G-bears.
I didn't think about the g-bear situation, as I live in an area that has no grizz population.
And the political side aswell.

You're right the Okanagan area and Vancouver Island could support bear baiting but human/bait conflict would be an issue since a lot of people live in that part of the province. I don't know too much about southern BC yet and it's possible bear baiting could be done.

Call of the Wild
04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Call of the Wild thanks for the clarification regarding the shutting down of bait sites in Alberta when a grizzly has moved in. I suspected it should be so but had not heard otherwise. The site I mentioned with a grizzly taking over a bait was in the Spirit River area IIRC. Lots of roads and open land to cross between there and anything resembling the wilderness we are led to believe grizzlies require to exist.

I know it’s permitted to bait the Spirit River area along the Peace River and occasionally some grizzly find baits in that area. Last time I read on bear baiting regulations in Alberta that is an area they might shut down eventually for baiting. I talked to a hunter once who had to shut his bait along the Peace River valley (east side since west side is no baiting zone) and a former supervisor who had baits in Red Earth area years ago and a grizzly found it. Just to show grizzly/bait issue can happen close to grizzly country or way out of their range.

The Saddle hills (foothills) south of Spirit River have a population of grizzly, not high numbers but they are there. I can’t find online a map of Alberta that shows where baiting is allowed or not. Pretty much all the mountain and foothills plus the Chinchagua area are no black bear baiting. If I can find that map I’ll post it up.

kootenayhunter270
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
in alberta baiting bears is aloud in "grizzly free areas." and they do that to minamize human contact with grizzlies. in BC they dont alow baiting to minamize contact with grizzlies. or so i have been told.

Barracuda
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
then the island shouldnt be an issue as well as a many places in southern bc

warnniklz
04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I wish it was legal to bait bears. I don't want the stink or the work myself, but I'd sure like to be able to shoot some of the surly buggers that eat my deer food!!
:evil: :mrgreen:
Nothing like checking a trailcam and having 100's of pics of black fur and no deer.

Lets go plant some skunk cabbage and dandelions... that's not baiting right?

Jelvis
04-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Does peanut butter count? lol. A peanut butter sangy?
Jp .. Oh boy lol.

Black Lab
04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Personally, I think baiting just doesn't seem very sporting. I guess if that's what you need to do to eat, it's a different story. I used to carry a black bear tag just in case. I shot one once and I was so amazed how much it looked like my "Old Black Lab" laying there that I don't hunt them any more.
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2107/065xy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/065xy.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Walking Buffalo
04-22-2012, 11:48 PM
in alberta baiting bears is aloud in "grizzly free areas." and they do that to minamize human contact with grizzlies. in BC they dont alow baiting to minamize contact with grizzlies. or so i have been told.

You comment of "Grizzly free areas" is wrong.

Baiting for Black bears in Alberta IS allowed in many WMUs (Wildlife Management Units) that have a well documented Grizzly Bear population.

It is true that more WMUs are being closed to Black Bear baiting under the guise of protecting Grizzly bears. This is a serious issue in Alberta, as our Grizzly bear population is quickly expanding in numbers and range, yet the provincial govt. is un-interested in considering this fact when deciding on closing more areas to baiting. I'm afraid the real reason for these closures is a faction within our F&W division that is opposed to baiting in principal, and most importantly, the implementaion of the Grizzly Bear Management Plan, which includes significant road closures.

In Alberta, as in BC, hunters are facing a government that is continuously cutting at the publics access to the public backcounrty, while allowing industrial acess. The "Endangered" status of the Alberta Grizz gives the gov. the legal authority to keep the public out of our lands.

The Grizzly bear is Alberta's Spirit Bear. ;)

BiG Boar
04-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Has anyone here ever walked up to a grizzly on a kill? I haven't and I don't ever want to. I think baiting bears in BC would mean more grizzlies would be killed by people without tags, in "defense". I am a big supporter of the grizzly hunt and I want to see more of them around that I can legally hunt. Black bear hunting is easy as it is. I think baiting them would actually be hard work.

I'm not against baiting though, I'd like to try it in a grizzly free area though.

kootenayhunter270
04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
i have baited in alberta an it is one of the hardest ways to hunt bears in my opinion. it take alot of money time and gas to keep a bait full every two to three days and when you have nothing but sows with cubs and small boars comming in during day light and the large mature boars comming in at night there is noth that u can do to change that habbit.

REMINGTON JIM
04-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Personally, I think baiting just doesn't seem very sporting. I guess if that's what you need to do to eat, it's a different story. I used to carry a black bear tag just in case. I shot one once and I was so amazed how much it looked like my "Old Black Lab" laying there that I don't hunt them any more.

BOB - you can be so dramatic ! I am almost ? in tears ! :???: LOL RJ

moose2
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Does peanut butter count? lol. A peanut butter sangy?
Jp .. Oh boy lol.

Peanut butter alone may not work. We should try a peanut butter and JELLY sandwich
that may work lol
Mike

Barracuda
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
you will also need a pik-a nik basket :lol:

BlacktailStalker
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I fully agree it'd be a great idea. Love to be able to run off baits JUST for the sake of running hounds esp with fuel prices being what they are.

greybark
04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Baiting is Game Farming without the Fences !!! Bait Bait Bait , when are we getting back to Hunting ?
Cheers

Gateholio
04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Baiting is Game Farming without the Fences !!! Bait Bait Bait , when are we getting back to Hunting ?
Cheers

you mean like jumping out of an f250 and shooting, the way most black bears are taken in BC? :)

Jetboat
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
About mid-May when it starts to really green up along the PDR's (petroleum development road) up here it's no trick to find bears. One fine spring day really stands out in my memory. A "few" years ago when a grizz tag was available across the counter for $50, a cohort and I left town about 4:00am and were back home about 7:00pm. We just cruised around enjoying the scenery, having campfire weenies and holding out for something special. We counted 27 black bears and 2 grizzlies that day (no cubs) and never busted a primer. All the blackies were just average size and both the grizzlies wandered off and never gave us a shot. Good times :)

lorneparker1
04-23-2012, 08:33 PM
you mean like jumping out of an f250 and shooting, the way most black bears are taken in BC? :)

HAHAHAHAHA soo true. Love the haters.

REMINGTON JIM
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Thats about it isn't it ! Come on guys lets do the old SPOT & STALK ! Its much more rewarding and fun then a MAFIA style killing ! :) LOL RJ

emerson
04-23-2012, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Black Lab;1137368]Personally, I think baiting just doesn't seem very sporting. I guess if that's what you need to do to eat, it's a different story. I used to carry a black bear tag just in case. I shot one once and I was so amazed how much it looked like my "Old Black Lab" laying there that I don't hunt them any more.

My sister had a hard time with this one too.

emerson
04-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Thats about it isn't it ! Come on guys lets do the old SPOT & STALK ! Its much more rewarding and fun then a MAFIA style killing ! :) LOL RJ

Maybe when I'm retired I'll have the time to play with animals. Until then I harvest legal ones as quickly as possible. When I have to buy meat or dogfood the government takes 40% of my money first. The taxes on wild meat are less if I do my part. I'm getting better and quicker all the time.

KB90
04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Personally, I think baiting just doesn't seem very sporting.
I will never understand the logic behind this way of thinking

Like Gatehouse says:

jumping out of an f250 and shooting, the way most black bears are taken in BC? :)

It's not uncommon to go for a sunday drive and spot 20 bears in a day in the ditches, bang flop, open the tail gate and your on your way.

If anything baiting is more sporting, at least your putting in the effort to hunt them, building stands, setting up cameras, maintaining bait, just getting out into the bush with them.

I can't understand how people view one method as "less sporting" than the other.....:-?

Barracuda
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM
thats exactly the same with deer or moose or any other animals people hunt,

TheProvider
04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Unless you've done it its hard to actually realize the amount of time it takes to properly bait bears. Yes you can go throw out some leftovers once a week and have success. But do it properly you want good bait. Which we always provided meat and sweets. Either beaver carcass or scraps from a butcher and donuts for sweets. Then theres the issue with the amount of bait you'll need. A big boar can eat alot each day but what happens when you got 6 bears going to the bait a day? If that bait isn't replenished asap those bears will move on. Hopefully you have contacts where you can get free bait otherwise it can be pretty hard on the wallet. And of course your going to have more than one bait site. So if your a selective hunter and being picky about the bear you want. You'll have multiple bait sites and therefoer may just as well end up feeding 20-30 bears. 20-30 bears eat an awful lot of food per week. In the spring with the rut you gotta keep the sows happy so they'll stick around and so will the boars. In the fall the bears are eating atleast twice as much food plus you have to have tastier bait then all the tasty berries out there....... ok I'll stop for now..... atleast baiting is easy

REMINGTON JIM
04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
I understand what you are saying emerson - i hunt for sport mostly - meat for food is secondary to me ! Cheers RJ

skinarama
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I would love the chance to bait bears! It would mean I could stop wearing my bacon tuxedo while looking for bears!

emerson
04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I understand what you are saying emerson - i hunt for sport mostly - meat for food is secondary to me ! Cheers RJ

Hopefully in a few years I'll be in the same situation; I'm a youngster still;)