PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather hunting boots...

leftfield
04-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Well I'm looking for suggestions on good quality boots that are not too warm as they will be used from late spring until late fall. I'll be using them for camping , quading, hiking and hunting. I guess being waterproof would be a plus but being light and not too warm for the feet is the biggest concern. Let me know what you have had and what works.....

warnniklz
04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
For a pair to kick around while cmaping, light hunting and what not... just get a pair of comfortable to you cheapie mossy oakd or whatever boots. If they're not allready waterproof just get some silicon spray and bingo bango.

The Silent Stalker
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
I am really impressed with the Under Armour boots and will be ordering a pair soon for the same reasons, spring and fall.

Sailor
04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I've got a set of Walmart brown boots. water resistant, warm, comfy with good tread.

WaderGator
04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
irish setter shadow treks

bccanadian
04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
I've worn Red Wing work boots for years. This is the 3rd pair I've owned in the last 15 odd years. When the toe cap inside wears through, I take them back and they send them out for repairs. When I wear out the sole inside, by then I've replaced the toe cap a couple of times (2 to 3 years each time), it isn't worth repairing the sole, I bite the bullet and replace the boots with a new pair. I've never had to break them in. They are compfortable right out of the box.

That being said, has anyone tried their hunting boots and are they of as good a quaility? I mean just because they have the experience to make good work boots doesn't neccesarrily carry over into the hunting/hiking field.

Anyone with some experience with their hunting boots that has an opinion, would be appreciated.

WaderGator
04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I think Irish Setter and Red wing are tied in together somehow. I have Shadow Trek's and there probably the most comfortable pieces of footwear Ive ever owned. I really like the elk trackers and might have to pick those up next time. I needed new workboots this year and had a serious look at Red Wing's. Theyre really comfortable but I had an issue with how heavy they were

Bow Walker
04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Ya know what? Go to Marks Workwear World and look into some Hi-Tek hiking boots. I've used them for quite a few years now - comfortable, waterproof-able, and not that expensive at all.

anglo-saxon
04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Ya know what? Go to Marks Workwear World and look into some Hi-Tek hiking boots. I've used them for quite a few years now - comfortable, waterproof-able, and not that expensive at all.

X2 I've got a pair that I only use for hunting and they are in thier fouth season and going strong. I have onother pair that had zips on the sides and have both since blown, but they are still so comfortable I just use them for wearing around the place. Plus, Hi Tecs won't break the bank.

Something like one of these will do you:

http://www.hi-tec.com/gl/products/walking-boots/40-3652/cascadia-xcm-event-wpi/

http://www.hi-tec.com/gl/products/walking-boots/65-2165/v-lite-altitude-ultra-luxe-wpi/

Cookie-kid
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Redwing does manufacture Irish Setter boots. I worked for a retailer for a few years. Great boots. I've sold them for so long that I couldn't think of wearing anything else... although I am in some Marrels right now, and they are a good hiking boot too. I have warm feet, so even when its -30 out, I don't need more than a standard leather boot with wool socks underneath.

Things to remember about Gor-tex boots. Gor-tex is a porous plastic baggie, basically. So if you're using silicone to w/p, you'll clog the pores of the lining, this will do 1 of 2 things, if not both. It will clog them open, thus making it a virtual siv, allowing water in at any moment. OR, this will clog them shut, making u walk in a plastic bag which will sweat like mad making your feet hotter and more wet with pungent foot sweat. Gor-tex is also the equivalent to 100grams of Thinsulate (whatever their minimum is, my number could be wrong). This means that even though it is an "un-insulated" boot, it will feel like one on the foot.

A nylon boot without Gor-tex underneath can be made waterproof with regular treatments of silicone spray or even "scotchguard". Leather boots should be treated regularly anyway, to keep the leather strong and supple. "Sno-seal" is a natural bee's wax that when applied warm (not hot) to the leather will seep into the pores of the leather making it waterproof. Mink Oil, Bear Grease and Pine Pitch will also do the same. "Sno-seal" and some Mink Oil leather treatments are Gor-tex safe, thus giving you a double layer of water protection... perfect for BC weather. Make sure you talk to a sales rep who knows what they're talking about when selling you your boots, in what protective to put on them.

Your socks should be wool rather than nylon, especially when dealing with Gor-tex. This will cause wear on your liner, making it leak. Wool, being a more forgiving material won't do this as fast. Also because its a naturally "hydrophobic" material it will wick water away from your foot. A good challenging question to your favorite outfitter is to ask for "gor-tex" safe socks... see what they do. Cotton socks are more comfy against the skin, but they are also water absorbant, which means it will retain water to your skin, causing a zillion possible foot issues.

I learned quickly, as a timber cruiser: keep your boots oiled/waxed. wear proper fitting socks that compliment your boots, and don't be scared to spend the extra couple dollars. and keep your runners and some light socks in the truck. That way after a day of hiking you can strip off into your clean white cotton socks and super breathable runners after being in warm wool socks and hikers. I tell u, its almost as good as that green bottle of Gold Bond I've been reading about... which is also nice to put on ur feet btw.

troutseeker
05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I use Scarpa's non-insulated and non-Goretex lined. Works great, comfy and great ankle support.