PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Practice

alpinehunter
04-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I am new to using a bow, have practiced alot and I am ready to go hunt bears but have one questions.

From what I have read you are to use one broadhead for practice and rest for hunting??

I believe this is to keep rest sharp, I have a problem with this because what if they all don't fly the same?

Should I practice with all broadheads to ensure they hit the mark at all ranges??

Thanks

warren

bochunk2000
04-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Warren you should get some great replies on here for this question. In my oppinion if your bow is tuned and you have spun you arrows with your broad heads on then they should all fly the same. Parctice with one and save the others as sharp as possible to ensure a quick clean kill.
Steve

Bowzone_Mikey
04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
They should all fly the same as Bochunk mentioned .... Several broadheads on the market now actually come with "practice blades" so you can test all your arrows ..... if you dont want rely upon what should happen ... or you dont have practice blades ... you could shoot all your arrows and give them a a quick run on the wetstone before you go hunting.

some reasons why they all wont fly the same. Insert not squared properly to the shaft ... nock not squared ... etc.....

RoscoeP
04-21-2012, 02:47 PM
G5 makes practice broadheads, they are the same, just dull edges and fly the same. They are easier on the target also, I have one pack of three and 2 packs of the sharp ones. I think the practice ones were cheaper. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Hell - shoot all your broadheads into the practice target. Just sharpen them until you can shave with them before you go hunting.

After all - this is only advice - do what you think is best....................

StoneChaser
04-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Just got in from shooting with buddy, and he was using his new bow that he paper tuned and has shooting well with field points.

He tried broadheads out today, and while the Snuffer SS and Montecs shot well, he used another well knownr head and had issues like I've never seen.

With one arrow, the broadhead was flying decent, and on another arrow the same head would hit 1 1/2 feet low (missed the target). Switched up the arrows and the next one missed by at least 1 1/2' to the left.

This happend time after time...they seemed to have a mind of their own.

Changed out those broadheads for the Snuffer SS and they shot right with the field points.

Clearly he will need to broadhead tune his bow a little, but the Snuffer and Montecs were shooting right in there out to 55yards and are ready to hunt!

Moral of the story....it doesn't hurt to shoot broadhead/arrow combos ahead of the season (keep them on those arrows, sharpen the heads up after the practicing, and hunt).

Finding issues ahead of the season and gaining confidence in your gear is never a bad thing!

todbartell
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Montec preseasons shoot squirrely as **** out of my bow. Haven't shot many yet but they seem "hey look, a bird!" and zoom that way

StoneChaser
04-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Montec preseasons shoot squirrely as **** out of my bow. Haven't shot many yet but they seem "hey look, a bird!" and zoom that way

If Montec's don't fly well, things probably need adjusting. Shoot it through paper to see what's going on, walk back tune it, and then broadhead tune it.

Bow Walker
04-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Montec's don't fly well, things probably need adjusting. Shoot it through paper to see what's going on, walk back tune it, and then broadhead tune it.
It's not the Montec's fault. My bet is that the bow needs to be tuned, the arrows need to be tuned and then the broadheads can do their job. 99% of the time the problem stems from a bow that is in dire need of being tuned.

StoneChaser
04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
It's not the Montec's fault. My bet is that the bow needs to be tuned, the arrows need to be tuned and then the broadheads can do their job. 99% of the time the problem stems from a bow that is in dire need of being tuned.

Absolutely...I missed the "IF" at the start of my last post....definately not the broadheads.

Bow Walker
04-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Mark - get in touch with BZM - he'll help you with getting your bow tuned up and shooting right.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Bartell shoot me a PM .... I will get yer squirrly s#!^ shootin' straight

alpinehunter
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I just setup paper tune and paperchecked my setup and it is perfect. Won't take credit for that, Ken at Hardcore got my setup perfect before I even got to shoot my bow for first time.

Call me carefull but I think I will spin test all broadhead shaft combos and at least give them a shot or two to boost my confidence that they shoot true.

Thanks again

Bowzone_Mikey
04-22-2012, 03:03 PM

I just setup paper tune and paperchecked my setup and it is perfect. Won't take credit for that, Ken at Hardcore got my setup perfect before I even got to shoot my bow for first time.

Call me carefull but I think I will spin test all broadhead shaft combos and at least give them a shot or two to boost my confidence that they shoot true.

Thanks again

That aint carefull ... thats just good common sense ....

Have a great time ... Hope ya hammer a big Bruin

Derp
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
i've never practiced with my broadheads (grim reaper) because I've been told by many that as long as the weight of the broadhead is the same as the field points which the bow is sighted in for, all will be well.

This thread is worrying me as I want to take down my 1st archery bear this spring.

Bow Walker
04-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Thanks again
That is something that I do before every hunting season - with every arrow. Spin-testing the arrow/broadhead combination just makes good sense.

i've never practiced with my broadheads (grim reaper) because I've been told by many that as long as the weight of the broadhead is the same as the field points which the bow is sighted in for, all will be well.

This thread is worrying me as I want to take down my 1st archery bear this spring.

Then the ting to do is to make absolutely positive that you and your equipment are up to the task. Not test shooting your hunting arrows is borderline irresponsible. Sorry to have to say so - but it's true. You owe it to your quarry.

Riverbc
04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

Grim Reaper sells a practice blade.

Derp
04-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Oh Yes!!! i have the practice blade haha. I'm heading out this week.

Riverbc
04-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Oh Yes!!! i have the practice blade haha. I'm heading out this week.

Then...get 'er done! :D Good luck on your bear hunt!

sjo
04-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I just started to shoot this spring and bought the montecs. Just by threading them on to the arrows I bought for feild points they didn't shoot to well, someone said on this site to use an o-ring between the two in order to line up the fletching and blades, sorry I can't recall who said it but thanks, it worked perfect! These points with the blades lined up with the fletching shoot exactly the same as the feild points. Missaligned and they are inconsistant in my bow.

Derp
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
I've been practicing with the grim reaper practice heads and they're bang on!! I am glad to say I have peace of mind now

BowHunterCR
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I thought I had my bow tuned with the G5 practice tips, missed one deer at night and one other the next morning, back to the range at lunch, practice heads dead on at 20,30,40,50, "sharp ones" grouped 4 in low and 3 inch right at 20. No even close to the actual hunting tips. Got a diamond stone, and tossed the practice tips.

bugler
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I'll add my name to the list that shoots each arrow that I put in my hunting quiver once or twice to make sure they fly properly, then touch them up once they pass the test.