PDA

View Full Version : Open fire cooking gear?

b.rockburn
04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have any advice on cooking gear that is easy enough to take in a back pack? There are MSR cooking gear sets and the like but they all require you buy the little stove from them as well.

I'm looking for something similar but that I can throw in my pack for a 2 to 4 day trip into the bush.

Thanks

BR

04-20-2012, 12:36 PM
A knife and a pack of Brats and yer good!

Gateholio
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
For years we cooked over open fires using lightweight aluminum pots and pans. Works great. Just remember you will need some sort of pot lifer to deal with hot pot handles (or get a actual pot lifter) and that if you soap the outside of the pots with dish soap prior to your trip, they will be easier to clean the soot off afterwards.

Foxton Gundogs
04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
For years we cooked over open fires using lightweight aluminum pots and pans. Works great. Just remember you will need some sort of pot lifer to deal with hot pot handles (or get a actual pot lifter) and that if you soap the outside of the pots with dish soap prior to your trip, they will be easier to clean the soot off afterwards.

Greatest use for a leatherman yet

Goliath
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
If you don't plan to make a 3 course meal, all you really need is just one pot & lid. There are some very nice ones on the market ($), but for campfire cooking I'd recommend a cheap aluminum 1.5L pot from Walmart, Army & Navy or whatever. Cut the handle off and you're in business. You could use a leatherman, but a real pot lifter would be ideal (it clamps on properly & lightweight).

Drop_Tine
04-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Jet boil stove & mountain house food packs !!

Duidery
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Jet boil stove & mountain house food packs !!

I agree. Jet Boil stoves boil the water very quickly and I like the taste of most of the Mountain House meals.

boxhitch
04-20-2012, 06:52 PM
This is about open fires not toys fires
What to use depends so much on what is cooking
If all you need is to boil water, a coffee can works good
I have a small aluminum pot with a bail handle that is just the size of the end of my tripod, so it sits nestled in the pack , helping to protect the tripod legs also.
Two ways of heating th pot, one is suspending it over the fire from a stick and some haywire, other is to use a small grill , either part of an oven rack, or better for high heat is a bbq grill, or a piece of expanded metal.
The rack is great for grilling steaks. Haywire is used also to tie rack of ribs to green sticks for charring over the coals.
for frying, Light weight non-stick pans with handles are available cheap, I prefer cast iron, but the horse hauls it not me.
Princess Auto has some light stainless bowls pots and such that can be adapted for cooking.

A better tool for a handle than a pot lifter or Leatherman is a 5" set of Vice-grips.

buck nash
04-20-2012, 10:52 PM
MSR makes pots with a handle that folds over the lid and locks the lid in place. I keep my whole mess kit (fork spoon coffee etc.) inside of it as well as a pocket rocket and a can of fuel.

I like having the lid locked on when its sitting on a part of the fire that could tip so I can grab it before I loose my meal. Also you can hang it over the fire by the lid when its locked on by putting a bit of snare wire though the lid's handle.

Works for me.

Good Old Outdoors
04-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Yep I agree with the others about jet boils, I have used mine for a few years now and its still like new.