PDA

View Full Version : Any Alberta Trappers on HBC?

Beardy
04-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I know this is a BC forum, but I was wondering if there were any Alberta trappers on here? I'm trying to setup a research project in the Wood Buffalo municipality, and was looking for some willing otter trappers that would like to participate. I have a modest research budget and would be more than happy to share the wealth with some of you hard working trappers :)

PM me for more details or if you're interested in participating.

Cheers

kootenayelkslayer
04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
What is your project idea??

Beardy
04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I'll be looking at environmental contamination loads in otters and how these relate to morphometrics and general health conditions. I'll also be doing a bit of population genetics using otter scat and anal jelly... I'm primarily interested in collecting otter livers and kidneys as I have the capacity to analyse these readily, but would consider other biological samples as well. I'll be trying to detect petroleum stream substances as well as heavy metals related to different environmental pollution sources.

kootenayelkslayer
04-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Interesting study for sure. I guess it'd be best to get in touch with the Alberta Trapper's Association...although I'm guessing you've looked into that already.