PDA

View Full Version : 5-15B griizzly draw

silvertipp
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
So my son was lucky enough to draw this tag
Just currious to see who might have hunted the North arm at all
Hopeing to get some advise on this hunt
Srupp and i have been talking but theres still a few things im trying to find out
ie Rd conditions in the roaring
Is there a barge on the lake
Accomodations ect
Thanks Silvertipp

XPEIer
04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Major project in the penfold area last fall, removed many of the bridges and deactivated all the roads on the east side of the North Arm. Not certain if the barge is still active or not as they have very little activity on that side any more.

xpeier

KB90
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Talking with a friend the other night, he says they have pulled all the culverts and bridges up the roaring?

As far as I know there is no barge to use anymore. We used a big boat and put dirtbikes in a fishing boat to tow alongside.

We accessed it from a friends cabin at the middle of all the arms. There is Elysa Resort, but it would simply be a base camp. It would make for some very long days to be travelling up and down the arms of the lake. Or are you talking about camp spots at the dock?

silvertipp
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
thanks guys
I was refering to more camp spots at the dock
I tried to google it but cannot tell if there a dock or what is there
It looked like there might be some sort of buildings there
ill be takeing a 19 ft jetboat in there

srupp
04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
hmmm know of 2 major rd upgrades from Quesnel into 5-15 b..best of my knowlege the barge is not in use.. enough room to camp at the lake ..Penfold i know is deactivated...

steven

silvertipp
04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Would it be worth while trieng to hunt the lake shore & or river via boat

srupp
04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
always grizzlies along quesnel lake shore

steven

.330 Dakota
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Would it be worth while trieng to hunt the lake shore & or river via boat

Highly doubt it, and as for the barge,,its gone, I was up there last summer in my boat. There are places to dock if you want to camp on the east side of the north arm. The bridges are all out and big holes are dug and are impassable with a quad. You could run up the Mitchel with your jetboat or Ghost lake is still in 5-15B and you can drive to there, but there isnt much area to hunt there. The bears are plentiful there though and are seen quite frequently on the road.

allykatt
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
The barge is still there as West Fraser still has some deactivating to do in the North arm if you call the barge owner Gerry Mitzel @250 620 3504 he can give you more info.I was up the north arm last winter on my buddy's trap line and the deactivations they did won't even let you get a quad thru most of them so it will be a tough go.

silvertipp
04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi ther ALLYKATT
thanks for the number
Sounds like you know this area quit well
Can you get anywhere by bike or is it a complete waaiste of time
ive not been in there and am curious to no where the landing is
It shows one at hunters point and a smller one just past the roaring river
Cheers Brad

Drillbit
04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
The Guide is still working there, so he must have the dips from his camp up the roaring smoothed out enough to get clients in there.

Silvertipp, the place you park your boat is on the east side of the north arm, south of the roaring river and bowling point. There was good docks there and a landing, as it was the old roaring river camp, don't know what's there for docks now. From there you need an ATV or motorbike and ride around 20km north up to the roaring river. You'd then head east up the south side of the river another 20 km or so. That's where the guide will be with his clients.

allykatt
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
The road from Bowling Point is totally deactivated with no docks the only road open for sure is the one to the Wasko Lakes. They pulled out some pretty big bridges and culverts all the way up the north arm from Hunters Point my buddy couldn't get his sled through them so he just trapped the Wasko last winter.

KB90
04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
ahhh wasko, lots of fun fishing for little rainbows :D Lots of Black Bears running around too!

Drillbit
04-20-2012, 11:43 PM
OK, wow, they must be big holes if you can't bounce a sled around/through 'em. Wasko country is OK too for bears. You'll still need wheels to get back in there. There's no slides, but there's a few Grizz around in the old slashes and on the roads.
There used to be a nice cabin out that way too, but who know's what left out there now, I haven't been there in a few years.

To be honest with you, you're probably better off trying around ghost lake country. Jet boat won't help you out for this hunt.

allykatt
04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Ya they didn't leave the deactivations so you can get through them and where they pulled out the bridges it's pretty steep.