PDA

View Full Version : Deer attack in Princeton

MaxQtime
04-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Just thought I'd share this, might have to go hunting in that area in the fall

http://www.castanet.net/news/South-Okanagan/74078/Princeton-teen-survives-deer-attack

A Princeton teen survived a brief encounter with a deer while his mother believes it's time the municipality took action to rid the animals.

Brandon Ghiloni, 17, says he was jogging home along the KVR trail about midnight on the evening of April 7 when he heard a noise coming up from behind.
"I turned around and there was a big deer charging me. By the time I turned around it was about half a metre from me, "says Ghiloni in recalling the experience.
"I panicked, stepped on my toe and face-planted. It trampled on my back and stomped on my arm. When it stomped on my arm I yelled and it ran away."
Ghiloni says only one thought was going through his mind.
"Oh my God, a deer is attacking me."
He says he was fearful for his life for a brief moment while the deer was stomping on his back.
Ghiloni went to the hospital the next morning where it was determined he had a cracked rib and some tendon damage to his arm.
He says his spine is still sore nearly two weeks later.
He doesn't know why the deer attacked but speculates there may have been babies in the area when he ran past.
Tina Ghiloni, Brandon's mother, says deer attacks have become more commonplace in Princeton over the last few years and hopes the municipality follows through on a possible deer cull.
"I love the deer bit, at the same time, when they are becoming a threat to people, it's not a good thing. I know people and their dogs are being attacked," says Tina Ghiloni.
"Unfortunately it wouldn't be so bad if people weren't feeding them. They're not supposed to but people do feed them."
Ideally, she says it would be nice if the vicious deer could be singled out for removal.

huntinnewbie
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
I remember looking at a house for sale in Princeton a few years back. There was a big doe hanging around the yard.
She gave me the "stink eye" big time and made it quite clear by her body language that I better not get to close. It was her yard and she wasn't leaving!
I was thinking lets take this to the woods and then we'll see how tough you are, course I would have had to had a doe LEH:-D

Jack Russell
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Odd..............

rcar
04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Probably a buck that didn't get lucky last fall and is still pissed off:-D

I remember seeing a vid a few years back...bucks gone wild or something like that where a hunter sprayed himself with some attractant and got pummelled by a big buck.....funniest part was my wife looking concerned and upset while I was laughing so hard I couldn't even breath. I know that's mean but I knew they wouldn't have showed the video if was really hurt.

DBM
04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
A 17 year old kid going for a jog at midnight on a Saturday?

I think mom is a little naive.

walks with deer
04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
I have see Does beat up other does on numerous occasions for a prime food source.

The kid probably tried to jump on her.

Brez
04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Definitely predator behavior! If he checked, it probably had fangs. I believe they prey at night and the disease is spread through the bite..

valleyHunter
04-19-2012, 08:09 AM
maybe its the other way around , people threatening the deer not the deer threatening the people. might not be the way it went down. could of changed the story so he dosnt look bad either

r106
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM

haha Thats what I thought.

More like Kid is hammer drunk decides to take a short cut home through the KVR, he's scared of the dark so decides to run. Smokes a tree and falls down a hill gets hurt. looks up and see's some deer. starts fight with deer because it looked at him funny, deer runs away. Kid stumbles home looking like he got his ass kicked. so blames it on the deer. Thats what I would have done

stitch
04-19-2012, 08:45 AM

I'm with you on that one......I think buddy was talking when he should have been listening and someone decided to shut his mouth.

Squirrelnuts
04-19-2012, 08:54 AM
It's not the deer you have to worry about.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/harley_squirrelnuts/hunting_1.jpg

Iron Glove
04-19-2012, 09:04 AM
We've had a number of encounters with deer in the Tulameen area ( 20 minutes from Princeton ) and it always involves a doe and generally there are fawns around.
We've been "stalked" by a doe when we were out walking the mutts so we would leash the mutts up and carry on, yet Mrs. Doe kept "stalking" all the way to the cabin. She ranged from 5 to 20 metres away from us, behind, beside and even in front of us.
Neighbour was cornered by a doe out by our cabin afew years back. The doe was more interested in her dogs, possibly as kharma for one of her dogs rag dolling a fawn to death the year before.
It happens folks.
We used to be concerned about bears and cougars around our place, now we only fear Bambi. :)

snowhunter
04-20-2012, 07:55 AM
The deer's are well looked after in Princeton. They own Princeton. Regularly, dogs are attacked, one lost an eye. Gardens are marauded for anything eatables planted by humans.
It would make a big difference if a deer fence was build around the Princeton dump, here 30-50 deer hang around all the time and waiting to be served jummy human food leftover's.

The Dude
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Well, enough reading, I have to go for my midnight jog home to my ever loving Mother.
Wonder if I should take the highway....the Marmots might be out already......

Iron Glove
04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Well, enough reading, I have to go for my midnight jog home to my ever loving Mother.
Wonder if I should take the highway....the Marmots might be out already......

Whilst it does sound a bit "off", "jogging home at midnight", realistically if the kid was working at the A&W and he lives off the KVR in the flats, I could see him taking the KVR home as it's a pretty direct route. Probably safer than walking along the highway and dodging the drunk drivers heading home from the pub. :)
Our kid used to work a few km outside of the town and often walked home on the KVR at midnight as it was by far the most direct route. He ran into all forms of wildlife and claims to have been followed home by little evil gnomes in hoodies too. As long as he keeps on his meds, the gnome sitings are reduced considerably. ;)

lovemywinchester
04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
haha Thats what I thought.

More like Kid is hammer drunk decides to take a short cut home through the KVR, he's scared of the dark so decides to run. Smokes a tree and falls down a hill gets hurt. looks up and see's some deer. starts fight with deer because it looked at him funny, deer runs away. Kid stumbles home looking like he got his ass kicked. so blames it on the deer. Thats what I would have done

Thats funny! Same thing happened in Whistler last year but the drunk dude blamed it on a bear.

http://www.bamja.com/blog/2011/07/26/whistler-mystery-continues-it-was-a-bear-i-swear/

Almond continues to say that these injuries are not compatible to taking a spill and falling. He stands by his conclusion because it was a good nine days after it happened that conservation officers searched for evidence and it had rained. His headphones were the only thing missing.
So, if you happen upon a black bear (http://www.bearsmart.com/) near Whistler (http://www.bamja.com/) with headphones, swinging his paws, make sure to duck.