PDA

View Full Version : stugeon or shark?

pro 111
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I was fishing trout with my kids the other day right where the copper river joins into skidegate lake . We are on the Queen Charlotte Islands. Saw a big swirl twice and then a light brown tail fin popped up and started swimming down the river part. We are 10 miles from the beach. It was about 6 inches high and light brown. It gave a long slow swish with the tail. Only up for 4 seconds or so then i never saw it again. Is it possible that a shark could swim up a river this far. Or could it have been a sturgeon?

The Dawg
04-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Could have been either or. Hard to say.

Fella
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
There's only a few species of shark that can survive in freshwater, and they live in Africa or Asia, so probably a sturgeon.

markt308
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Sharks have swam several miles inland in N.A as well. Havn't heard of this in BC as much as I have in the states but for sure possible. of course your other guess of a sturgeon is totally possible. who knows man

FirePower
04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I would think that had you been able to see the tail, you would have also seen the dorsal fin, were it a shark. That coupled with your local, makes me believe what you saw was indeed a sturgeon.

dwflyrod
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
mybe a shargeon

spreerider
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
we have had sharks in the somass river in port alberni before, they have made it up to the orange bridge, about 2km from the mouth of the river.

Jack Russell
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I suppose a strong tide, low river discharge and the right "floodplain" elevations would allow a salt wedge to move up the river channel and provide enough brackish water for a dogfish or other shark to move into? Haven't heard of any sturgeon sightings to my knowledge in the QCI/Skeena/Nass systems, but not impossible. It is thought sturgeon do travel further north. Very interesting to know if it was a sturgeon or not!

cdnshooter13
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
I seen a green sturgeon in nanaimo river just above living forest campground.

luckynuts
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Salmon sharks do frequent the area, like someone had mentioned a real high tide could have allowed this. Do yo have sturgeon in the river? either way pretty cool to see that.

W.