PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead choice

todbartell
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Which broadhead to go with? And why?

I don't think my field tips are legal for black bear?

367gr arrow @ 270 fps

Ambush
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Slick Trick Standard 100 grain. 1" cut, replaceable blades, tough as nails, great flight and probably the sharpest broadhead out of the package. Trocar point opens those bones without curling the tip .The four blade head seems to leave a hole, more than a slice.

I'll get beat up for this, but I'm not a fan of cut-on-contact [COC] heads. I find the tips to delicate when contacting heavy bone. I'm not going to defend it, that just my opinion.

jrjonesy
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
For a fixed head.... can't go wrong with the G5 Montec 100 grain. Fly the same as my field points. I also hear this from others who use them.

For an expandable, I prefer the slip cam heads. Both the Rage and G5 T3's are great heads.

Riverbc
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
any of the Slick Trick broadheads will get the job done. For expandables, Spitfires and Grim Reapers, but Slick Trick would be my first choice.

killman
04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Who has killed more Shit with a bow than you and I and most on this site will ever kill? Listen to him.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Slicks are a great head Mark .... ..... all my fixed heads are trocar tip ..... for the reasons that Ambush mentioned .

the heads I use are mechanicals .... Currently using the T3s from G-5 ..... I also love Rocket Steelheads ...

That said I have used the Steelhead XP (with the bacon skinner blade) and had good results as well

Bow Walker
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
3 choices for you...

1. Slick Tricks
2. Muzzy's
3. QAD Exodus......http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?80443-QAD-Exidous-Broadheads

StoneChaser
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Slick Trick, although I personally prefer the 3 blade heads like the Snuffer SS or Montec CS and like the looks and flight so far of the QAD Exodus (if you like a replaceable blade head) . I certainly prefer the cut on contact tip to the trocar style.

At the end of the day though, there is hardly a broadhead on the market that won't do the job 99.99% of the time when stuck in the right spot.

Mostly just mental gymnastics for the long winter months (kind of like debating TSX vs Partition vs A Frame).

BCHoyt
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Just got Grim Reapers.. Heading out for bear this weekend and will let ya know how they do!

mikeboehm
04-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I use muzzy mx4 with my gold tip arrows. 386grains flying at 342fps with my omen pro. They fly like my field points.stay away from crimson talon xt. And rage 3 blade

bochunk2000
04-19-2012, 07:45 AM
I know its a bit archaic these days with all the advancements but I still use the Muzzy 3 blade 125 gr. My reason is that they have smashed any bone they have hit and every single animal I put them into dies quickly. Great blood trails. They have never given me a reason to change.
Steve

Night Hawk 3
04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
For me: Snuffer SS and G5 Montec - one bow uses 125 gr and the other uses 100 Gr. These two broadheads are similar and have the same POI out to as far as I am comfortable shooting them (60 yds).

NH3

Gateholio
04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Whomever has the coolest commercial on WILDTV

Brambles
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
only drawback with the slick tricks is the noise.

04-19-2012, 09:23 AM

You mean the death whistle??

Sideofabarn
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM

That is my recollection of them too. Not that it matters much if your arrow gets there before the noise does though. I used Slick tricks out of my old APA bow, but the speed made broadhead selection interesting. My current bow is a little slower, so I will retry them and see what the difference is. How would your empolyer feel about being the central BC distributor of QAD heads? The more I read about them the more I want to try them.

Bow Walker
04-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I have never had an issue (nor heard) with noise from my Slick Tricks. They are silent and deadly - if i do my part right.

Of course my hunting bow shoots arrows at less than 290 fps.................might be the reason.

This head should solve the noise problem for faster bows than mine:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/qbe100b.jpg

Brambles
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I used Magnus stinger buzzcuts on my bear, blood trail was AMAZING. Bear didn't go very far at all.

Slick tricks on both the bows I've shot them in definitly had more of a whoosh to them as they 4 blades went through the air. Never shot anything with them but they did shoot well. I don't think the sound would cause a miss but it is something to note.

BiG Boar
04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I use montec G5's. They do fly the same as field points, however I have never followed a great blood trail. That being said, my shots have usually been too far back. But everything they have hit, I have found within 100 yards. Something like 8 animals or so.

Barracuda
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
trying to absorb all of this and it applies to my compound but now what about a bow like a 40lb recurve ?

killman
04-19-2012, 05:59 PM

I thought the Grizz tricks where a little noisy...as well. But I don't know much.

stixnstones
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
i kill morer than both of u combine.lol

The Dawg
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
i kill morer than both of u combine.lol

Good thing you can kill to put food on the table because if you relied on your spelling and grammar, you'd be pretty hungry :D

Bowzone_Mikey
04-19-2012, 06:21 PM
trying to absorb all of this and it applies to my compound but now what about a bow like a 40lb recurve ?

A broadhead using Trad equip? ..... think German Kinetics
http://www.german-kinetics.com/

Not that I am a trad guy ... but hear nothing but great things .... I had shot them before using a buddys set up ... I liked the way it penitrated the target ... and put down the deer I shot with a longbow (Mulie doe just outside of Vulcan Ab)

Blockcaver
04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Todd,

Any good broadhead that is mounted straight and has sharp blades will work if placed in the right spot. I've shot big game with cut-on-contact heads including Zwickey four blade Deltas and Eskimos, Bear Razorheads and three blade MA3's. I've also been using replaceable blade heads successfully for about 15 years including, NAP 3-blade Thunderheads and Rocky Mt. Titanium heads (3-blade). I still shoot the later as I have a lot of them along with some of the heavier steel versions. With today's fast bows the best flight with a fixed blade head is attained from one with minimum blade area (vented and/or short) as the blades can act to steer the arrow off course. Helical fletch help overcome the broadhead steering effect. I had to give up on the large unvented Zwickey Deltas when my arrow speed hit 230 fps with a finger bow a number of years back.

I've never shot any expandables. They appear to be getting better as time goes on but I'm still sceptical! I'd use them if I couldn't get fixed blades to fly accurately, otherwise don't see the need.

The new QAD broadheads pictured appear tough and will likely fly very well from a tuned bow with properly spined arrows. Three and four blade heads of the type noted above have worked well for me and give up nothing in the penetration tests I've conducted in foam. They work great on critters too, including moose, bison, lots of elk, Kudu, sheep, goats, antelope, bears and deer.

todbartell
04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Lots of good info here guys thanks. Too many options but it sounds like you can't go terribly wrong either way

Ambush
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, you got two bear tags, so you can test at least two different heads between now and June 15th. :-D

Bow Walker
04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Broadhead for a Trad bow?

GK heads are very good - also expensive. Try these as an alternative.....Magnus Stinger 2-Blade.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/100-stinger2blade.jpg

The Hermit
04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I use Montec G5's with my compound, recurve, and longbows... they fly true, quiet, and are tough as nails and easy to sharpen. I will be trying the NEW PX2's this year from Jason Peterson Hunting Canada and Beyond, and selling them in the store.

xtremearchery
04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
I've been shooting the Exodus by QAD and love them. Fly just like my field points out of my Axe-6. I also shoot the Meat Seeker by Trophy Ridge. They also do the job. Over all though, the Exodus with the 1 1/4" will likely be the one I reach for out of my quiver.

hfc
04-20-2012, 08:47 PM
G5 Montec 100 grain. they shoot the same as my field points ouy to 60 yards

rattling_junkie
04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
1. VPA (1 piece machined head, tough as nails and razor sharp)
2. Steel Force Phat Heads (thickest blades on the market and surgical sharpness)
3. Magnus Snuffer SS (Great flyer, lifetime warranty, need to sharpen out of package, so you need some steel skills)

These heads all tune extremely easy. Visit www.bowsite.com if you want some top notch info on bowhunting and gear.

StoneChaser
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
1. VPA (1 piece machined head, tough as nails and razor sharp)

The VPA heads have the worst QC I've ever seen...from the 2 packs (6 broadheads) I had 3 that spun alright, 3 that spun absolutely brutal, and 1 had a busted blade (straight from the pack). Mine were far from sharp from the pack, and the grind lines are horrible, and they need some sharpening...not how I'm going to spend my $40+/pack anymore!

VPA 100gr Vented - right from the pack w/busted rear vent
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/IMG_3512.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/IMG_3513.jpg

VPA 100gr Non Vented - Came this scratched from the pack (check out the uneven grinds)!http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/IMG_3527.jpg

VPA - Check out the crooked blade and poor grind
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/IMG_3530.jpg

StoneChaser
04-20-2012, 09:38 PM
3. Magnus Snuffer SS (Great flyer, lifetime warranty, need to sharpen out of package, so you need some steel skills).These heads all tune extremely easy.

Along with the Montec CS, the best flying broadhead I`ve shot out to as far as I care to hunt. Couple that with a 100% unconditional lifetime replacement and you`ve got a winner!

They come decent from the pack, but are actually VERY easy to sharpen (and they're stainless which is a plus). Set them flat on a diamond stone (credit card size) and use a 400-600 grit...pull it backwards a few times on each of the 3 sides, do the same on a 1200grit and they'll shave.

After a bunch of shots into a Rhinehart Block, they'll still have a keen edge...pretty good steel.

This little buck was shot a few yards from where I took the picture, and died in sight with a 100gr Snuffer SS in the ribs and left a nice little trail in the process.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/CIMG0971.jpg

rattling_junkie
04-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Stonechaser, when did you buy those VPA, recently? I am very surprised. Well at least I got the Phatheads and Snuffer SS right :)

StoneChaser
04-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Stonechaser, when did you buy those VPA, recently? I am very surprised. Well at least I got the Phatheads and Snuffer SS right :)

Picked them up late last fall.

VPA did try to make things right by sending me another pack, but they were as bad as the first batch. I posted about the QC issues on another forum, and the owner jumped on my calling be basically a liar, that they had great QC, and I was fabricating things. Went on to tell me he had machinary worth more than a house, and I was off base.

I posted these pics, and he then went into excuse mode, saying that "lightening must have stuck more than once" if I got these bad heads.

He was cornered, and refunded my money for a pack, but overall, poor attitude and customer service...I'll not shoot'em, as there are too many good heads out there with GREAT customer service and quality!

Here is another one...no wonder they don't spin well:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/IMG_3531.jpg

valleyHunter
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
grim reapers razor tips are tough, used them on a blackie 2 years ago and worked flawlessly

redthorn
04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
I just bought a set of the QAD Exodus to try them out, and they do fly nice like a field point.

BUT...

When I angle the target block to shoot into it with the heads entering on a 45 Degree angle, (You should be checking the performance of your heads, espescially expandables, on the angled entry as you'll be lucky if all you ever get is squared up 90 degree shots.) the back end of the shafts swings out way further and the penetration is quite a bit less than on a straight away presentation. I think this is because the heads are fairly steeply angled. When I did the angle with the G5 Montecs, they had almost no swing out and consistent penetration.

I like the flight of the Exodus, but I'll probably stick with Montecs for my animals. Tough and dependable.