PDA

View Full Version : skinning and quartering a bear in the bush

r106
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
What do you guy's do when you have to skin and quarter a bear in the bush? Your supposed to leave some hide on the quarters. But what if you want a rug? What do you do? Last year I was luck enough to dump it on a pipeline on a day trip. But this year I'll be camping with warmer temps and might want to quarter and hang it. But if it's a booner or color faze. I don't want to be cutting up the hide

Moosehunter64
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
As long as you transport the hide with the animal you should be ok. Any CO who doesn`t except that is just a jerk.

buck nash
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
It's a fur bearing animal so the hide should not be ruined and you are required to take the meat home so it should be properly cooled. Sometimes the only way to do both is to separate the meat from the hide. As long as they travel together, there should be no issue.

r106
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Cool thats what I thought.

Thanks guy's

Everett
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
No requirment to take the hide of a black bear but you must remove all edible portions.

Skull Hunter
04-18-2012, 01:31 PM
With most animals, I just leave the hide on the nuts and keep them attached to one of the quarters. Never done it with bears but it wouldn't be a problem to do.

finngun
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
what about--that happened to my friend-... he shoot blackie and under the skin in the fat there was LOTS of worms, so he lost his appetite pretty quick,no bear meat-pepperoni out of that winnie-the pooh....are you still requred by law take that bearmeat you home, before dumbing it out? or can you just take hide...if it is okay..:confused:

greenhorn
04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
you leave the furry gonads attached to one of the quarters and still cape the bear for a rug... that's assuming your ok with not having nads on your bear rug.... just saying :)

.330 Dakota
04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
If your'e going to rug it, get the hide off it right away as it needs to cool down fast. Hides left on too long can become rugs that lose hair. I always separate them ad put the meat in 1 cooler and the head with hide in another. Never been hassled about it .

Everett
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
you leave the furry gonads attached to one of the quarters and still cape the bear for a rug... that's assuming your ok with not having nads on your bear rug.... just saying :)

No requirment to leave sex organs or hide attached to Black Bear if you know otherwise please post the section of the regs. you are quoting

Fisher-Dude
04-18-2012, 06:13 PM
No requirment to leave sex organs or hide attached to Black Bear if you know otherwise please post the section of the regs. you are quoting

You are correct. Bears are not like deer. No nards or hide need to be left on the carcass. Page 20 of the regs.

greenhorn
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM

I'm not quoting regs - i was just suggesting a way to leave proof of sex and species on a caped animial since he seemed concerned about it - i was suggesting he leave the furry nads attached to one of the quarters - that's all.