PDA

View Full Version : Rec/hunting property

scoutlt1
04-15-2012, 02:25 PM
So here's the deal. I'm in the Fraser Valley. I've got about $100k to spend on a piece of recreational/hunting property. I don't mind driving but would consider just past Williams Lake maybe Quesnel the limit. I've spent a lot of time in the south Okanagan (Osoyoos) and like it but price is an issue there. I like the Koots, but have only spent a bit of time there. Not necessarily interested in having a cabin as most of those properties I've found are way overpriced. I have a trailer I could put on it or at least tow it there. The farther "out" the better. Would want to hunt from there, ride the bikes/quads with the boys in the summer. Water would be nice, say a small creek, but not a must.
I've seen a few properties of interest but still looking, so thought I would throw it out there on here for some feedback.
Thanks!

ps...I hunt deer, moose, and am starting to get more and more into bear/predator hunting.

dragonslayer
04-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I am not sure about the prices , but I do not think you will get much for 100K. I could be wrong but it all depends on how big of a patch your looking for I guess. Just saying.

swampdonkey
04-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Check out bob dirks website

Boner
04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I would like to see someone do that in Dome Creek or Crescent Spur. Bare land there for sale, lots of 4 point bucks there, Whitetail and Mulie. A lot of people there are anti-hunting to the point of being rediculous, lots of nice animals around and beautiful scenery at the west side of the rockies.

If I had the money i'd consider buying there.

scoutlt1
04-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I would like to see someone do that in Dome Creek or Crescent Spur. Bare land there for sale, lots of 4 point bucks there, Whitetail and Mulie. A lot of people there are anti-hunting to the point of being rediculous, lots of nice animals around and beautiful scenery at the west side of the rockies.

Yea that is a nice part of the world for sure!

04-15-2012, 03:49 PM

And what happens when you leave your property after the hunting season? One guy's cabin burned down out of Chetwynd after he had a disagreement with one of the locals. Just something to think about.

BCHoyt
04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
My wife and I have been looking into the same idea... we found 160 acres for $80,000 with a lake.. Not gonna say where as we are still interested in it.. lol So there are places out there... just gotta do the research... My wife is an insurance agent and was saying that if we had no permanent structure on the land that it would be insured under our current home owners policy.. The minute we put something permanent on the land then we have to get seperate insurance.. So our plan was to just take a camper or trailer up there and bring it home when we leave... Just something to think about.. With nothing on the land you dont have to worry about it being broken into or worse yet burnt down..

scoutlt1
04-15-2012, 03:55 PM
And what happens when you leave your property after the hunting season? One guy's cabin burned down out of Chetwynd after he had a disagreement with one of the locals. Just something to think about.

Another one of the reasons I don't really want a cabin to "worry" about....

scoutlt1
04-15-2012, 03:55 PM
My wife and I have been looking into the same idea... we found 160 acres for $80,000 with a lake.. Not gonna say where as we are still interested in it.. lol So there are places out there... just gotta do the research... My wife is an insurance agent and was saying that if we had no permanent structure on the land that it would be insured under our current home owners policy.. The minute we put something permanent on the land then we have to get seperate insurance.. So our plan was to just take a camper or trailer up there and bring it home when we leave... Just something to think about.. With nothing on the land you dont have to worry about it being broken into or worse yet burnt down..

And yet another reason lol

Jeff88
04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
in the back of my sport fishing bc magazines and hunting bc ,there are tons of acreages for sale all over bc for decent prices ..i always look at em ,cuz one day thats my plan ,get outa this zoo and build a cabin on acreage

3mk
04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
i have been looking as well. i read that crown land is on longer for sale ? not sure if that true

oldkoot
04-15-2012, 05:21 PM
I have some for sale in the E.K. 10 acres for 100K. Check the off topic items in the buy and sell.

Crimson Viking
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
here are some links i have

BC Recreational Property and Real Estate for sale - NIHO (http://www.niho.com/)

http://www.bcland.com/

http://www.landquest.com/home.aspx

http://www.realtor.ca/ this is the main mls site , choose residential and then click on the map , and zoom in from there to your desired area

http://www.bcfarmandranch.com/

http://www.fishbob.ca/enter.htm

You should be able to kill a few online hours with those sites, good luck

Boner
04-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Fair enough, I had a few run ins there (not hunting, but for my job), and wouldn't want a structure there either. A lot of good, decent people live in that area, and would make good neighbours, but I like the travel trailer idea. Maybe build a pad or something to park it on.

Alot of people see an uninhabited cabin and feel the need to poke around in it for whatever reason...

Gun Dog
04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
The further away the less you'll use it. A friend has a place has a place that's 4+ hours from home (Langley). It's worth driving up for the weekend. You can drive up after work and still get there while it's light out. A second friend bought a place that's 5-6 hours away. It's only used for week long trips. It's just a little too far away.

04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Alot of people see an uninhabited cabin and feel the need to poke around in it for whatever reason...

I know - it really bugs me that people are like that.

scoutlt1
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
The further away the less you'll use it. A friend has a place has a place that's 4+ hours from home (Langley). It's worth driving up for the weekend. You can drive up after work and still get there while it's light out. A second friend bought a place that's 5-6 hours away. It's only used for week long trips. It's just a little too far away.

I agree with you on the the 5-6 hours being a bit too far for a weekend but my job allows me to take at least 3 day weekends pretty much when I want, as well as 5 -6 weeks holidays during the summer and fall.
And yes I'm thinking of either a pad or just have it set up like a rec site, that way if it does get a visit from idiots the worst will be a shot up picnic table.
Thanks to all for everyone the responses so far as well as the PMs!

notyalc
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
We got a cabin out in lac la hache thats right on a lake. Theres a few people that live there all year round which makes it nice not having to worry about crap like that. Everyone looks out for everybodies place. The first year we got it me and a buddy went up hunting. We didnt get to the cabin til about 230 in the morning and about 20mins after arriving we were greeted by 3 guys that drove down from a few cabins up asking us wtf we were doing. They thought it was a little fishy that a truck was coming around that late at night. Once they found out what was going on everything was good. But its good to know people are watching out.

there are lots of good areas around with lots of good people.