PDA

View Full Version : Question About Turkey Activity

hunter1947
04-15-2012, 02:47 AM
I was out shed hunting on Friday and noticed three female turkeys running away from me my question is will there be more of them around in this area ??? ,will they stay in this area after I spooked them ???.

Are they territorial and if so would this be a good place to set up and try calling for the male turkey ??? lets hear what you avid turkey hunters have to say about turkey hunting and there behavior.

Last year at the beginning of May whil shed hunting I heard two different turkeys calling in two different areas will they still be in the same are if they survived the hunting season as for the winter ??? ,I am new at turkey hunting and never hunted them before all information about turkey behavior ETC would help me as for others that read feed back from you turkey hunters on my thread....

wicket
04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
set up there and listen and call at first light be there before sunrise. if you arent in the right spot you can move and call or set up on them the next morning. thats the simple short answer

huntwriter
04-15-2012, 06:03 AM
I was out shed hunting on Friday and noticed three female turkeys running away from me my question is will there be more of them around in this area ??? ,will they stay in this area after I spooked them ???.

Usually there will be more turkeys in the same area. Although the Merriam's turkey do not live in large flocks like the Eastern Wild turkey there can be as many as as 15 birds in one flock. The territory of each flock overlap so there could be quite a few more birds then you have seen. Turkeys do not abandon their territory because they get spooked. These birds get spooked all the time about a variety of this.

Are they territorial and if so would this be a good place to set up and try calling for the male turkey ???
As mentioned turkeys are territorial. Turkeys also stick to a routine that they do not change unless forced to do so. Your best bet is to find a roosting tree and then from their figure out what route the birds take to the feeding area. Call early in the morning, right at dawn, and if a gobbler answers set up as close to him as possible. The closer you can get to him without letting him know the better your chances are that he will come to your calls.

Last year at the beginning of May whil shed hunting I heard two different turkeys calling in two different areas will they still be in the same are if they survived the hunting season as for the winter ??? ,
There are more than one male turkey turkey in a flock, consisting of several young males (jakes), mature males and one to two alpha males (boss gobblers). These male flocks live together or in very close proximity with the female flocks. Turkeys will stay in the same area throughout the year provided the area offers them everything they need to survive. They only change when forced out by a growing predator populations or if their needs cant be fulfilled.

As an elk hunter you will learn that there are many similarities between elk and turkey hunting tactics.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Marlin375
04-15-2012, 08:25 AM
One thing that I noted a few years ago while trying to peg their routine. Like all critters they need water.
In the area that I was hunting the very first thing they did when they dropped out of the trees in the morning was get a drink. (likely they take a big drink just before they roost also)
There was a very small spring/creek about a foot wide that ran down the mountain above and below ground (Turkey Creek is it's new name)
Find the creek Wayne and follow it up and down on both sides looking for activity.

hunter1947
04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks Members for your feed back about turkey activities..