PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Backpack Hunt - Gun Care

geoskier
04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I am a fairly new hunter and my hunting will almost exclusively be in the mountains (mountaineering background ect...it makes sense two sports at once!). Does anyone have any sound advice for

A) keeping my gun clean
B) keeping it protected (we all take falls ect...)

I carry some solvent and a bore snake for cleaning.

In the past I have used a lightweight gun case for the hike from valley bottom to the alpine. Once in the alpine I just carry it on my shoulder unprotected ect...
After one hunt I noticed a lot of scratches on barrel, stock, and metal part of scope. Nothing crazy but I would like to keep my gun looking as good as possible. I have a leupold vx1 4-12x40mm and a Tikka 270 stainless steel lite.

Any tips like electrical tape (it goes over the barrel and you shoot through it???) would be welcome.

Cheers

bigwhiteys
04-14-2012, 11:38 AM
A) keeping my gun clean

Electricians tape over the end of the barrel and keep your action closed. Yes you'll shoot through it, no ill effects.

B) keeping it protected (we all take falls ect...)

Mine is usually always strapped to the side of my pack... Shoulder harnessing a rifle while climbing through nasty sh!t sucks.

After one hunt I noticed a lot of scratches on barrel, stock, and metal part of scope. Nothing crazy but I would like to keep my gun looking as good as possible.

Hahahahahahahahaa..... You should get a gun you don't mind scuffing up for your mountain hunts.

tundra
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Check out Eberlestock packs they have a great selection for packing and protecting your rifle, with easy access to your rifle.

geoskier
04-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Hahahahahahahahaa..... You should get a gun you don't mind scuffing up for your mountain hunts.

Ya it's not a big deal. I grew up in Van with no hunter for a dad so I don't really have a gauge of what is normal wear and tear and what is just neglect. As long as it shoots straight, that's all that really matters to me.

bruin
04-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Think of them as battle scars! Chicks dig scars!

bruin
04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Wear and tear is inevitable on a backpack hunt. I use a stainless synthetic and don't worry too much about the scratches. Tape works great. I also have a tiny packaged gun wipe with me or two for long hunts. If you want a cover for the way in, I would suggest a sleeve, a gun sock basically. Keep in mind that if it's strapped on its pretty tOugh to get to in a pinch, like when that monster buck walks out at treeline!

cavebear
04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I prefer small waterballoons for my stainless rifle in place of electrical tape, no sticky residue and prevents any water from getting in the barrel, I have used a gun sock on my stainless as well. It is amazing how much glare comes off a stainless rifle, or so my hunting partners told me how easy it was to see me in the mountain from the glare off my barrel.

stoneguide
04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
The rules I go by,

1. Eberlestock Pack, best thing ever built for a rifle!
2. Electrical Tape over the muzzle, Ive had hunters try every gimmick and gadget but always resort to black tape.
3. Dont use A bore snake! The grit stays in the snake and each time you slide it through that grit is working the inside of the barrel. A small light take down gun rod and patches weighs about the same. Plus if something(dirt, spruce needles etc) lodges in the end of your barrel if you slip or fall a bore snake is usless to get it out.

StoneChaser
04-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Mine is usually always strapped to the side of my pack... Shoulder harnessing a rifle while climbing through nasty sh!t sucks.

I did this for years, but trying to tear it off my pack to kill a grizz at 6 yards changed that in a hurry (now I put up with the hassle of a shoulder slung rifle in the thick stuff)!

lorneparker1
04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

Problem solved

stoneguide
04-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Thats where the Eberlestock shines! I can have my gun out without taking the pack off and ready in almost the same time as I can get it off my shoulder and lined up. Plus the hole gun except for the butt of the stock is completely protected and padded. Deffinatly glad I chose this pack just for that reason. Dont even know the gun is there even when packing in with 70+lbs in it.

Shooter
04-14-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

Problem solved

x2 I have one and I love it. IMO its the best way to carry a rifle and a pack. FYI I also have an Eberlestock Dragonly pack with the built in scabbard but I still use the Kifaru on that pack.

harbinger
04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Dude, don't worry about the finish on your gun, A stainless tika .270 is perfect. Its going to get banged around and wet. No problem, that is what a synthetic stainless rifle is designed to do. Tape the muzzle and keep your action closed. When you get back to the truck dry it off. If you are in the mountains and it is REAL cold, make sure your bolt is dry i.e. don't overlube.
As long as you don't drop it drown a chute you are golden. Especially with that pimpin' scope!:cool:

one-shot-wonder
04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I used to climb up and down mountains with the over the shoulder strap, but tended to use the rifle as a walking stick most of the time, came in handy in the steep stuff for sure. Now I have an Eberlestock pack so the rifle is wrapped up on my back. I am not a fan of the stainless barrels so for mine I wrap with camo hockey tape and it takes away the glare, plus makes for really good grip on the barrel for when you are using it as a walking stick!

No need to keep your field rifle in show condition.....who cares, its a hunting rifle not a piece of fine art........ I say use it and abuse it!
Just like a truck

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Thats where the Eberlestock shines! I can have my gun out without taking the pack off and ready in almost the same time as I can get it off my shoulder and lined up. Plus the hole gun except for the butt of the stock is completely protected and padded. Deffinatly glad I chose this pack just for that reason. Dont even know the gun is there even when packing in with 70+lbs in it.

i found with my eberlestock pack full with the spike duffel getting your gun out was a little tight when all the compression straps are in use and snug

brian
04-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I would second (or fourth) looking into eberlestock bags. I have one (not big enough for Alpine use) and they're great to carry around gear and your rifle. They are solid well made packs. In a pinch you can have your rifle out pretty quick. I just don't like it much for still hunting, to noisy in the branches.

The gun is a tool that is meant to see hard use. If you want a pristine rifle go buy a second one. Make sure it is damned expensive and beautiful. Then always keep it in the gun safe unless you need to oil and clean it. Do so often so you can admire its beauty but always return it to the safe right afterwards. You should imagine that this second rifle is an awesome shooter... but it doesn't matter, it will never see a bullet go down its pretty rifling. Then when you go hunting look at this shinning example of perfect rifle-hood and then grab your banged up, go to rifle that you know ain't pretty but is a hell of a shooter. Go get it dirty, wet, scratched, scuffed, buffed, battered and everything else that makes for memorable hunts.

swampthing
04-15-2012, 07:18 AM
I used to hunt with a mark 5 deluxe. That gun got a wound or 2 on every hunt. It used to rust on long hunts too. I dont think there is a mark on any of my tikka stainless/syn models. I use the eberlestock scabbord and it protects my rifle from the time I leave my house.

stoneguide
04-15-2012, 07:23 AM
i found with my eberlestock pack full with the spike duffel getting your gun out was a little tight when all the compression straps are in use and snug
I did on my first trip as well but I had the compression straps through the loops on the side that actually are used to compress the scabbard when not in use. Once I took the straps out of these loops I didn't find it to bad.

And yes the Gunbearer system works well for some and just like everything some hate them. I personally just like the protection my $4500 rifle gets in the Eberlestock over any other system.

bigwhiteys
04-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Mine is usually always strapped to the side of my pack... Shoulder harnessing a rifle while climbing through nasty sh!t sucks. I did this for years, but trying to tear it off my pack to kill a grizz at 6 yards changed that in a hurry (now I put up with the hassle of a shoulder slung rifle in the thick stuff)!

I hear ya... Usually in the thicker stuff, my partner will shoulder his rifle. Myself, I have two hiking poles and it's tough to shoulder a rifle with a fully loaded pack. So... It stays on the pack.

geoskier
04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I myself stick to Arcteryx packs. They have a new military division that has some nice looking gear. Even more $ than Sitka but it is definitely the gold standard in performance and quality. Not sure how the military camo pattern would be. There are some browns and greys that might work well: http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens

The biggest pack they have on there looks pretty nice. It is too small for a 14 day sheep hunt but you could easily use it if hunting goats from a logging road in the koots.

Duidery
04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
I have to agree with the Eberlestock pack. It was comfortable with a full load and I found that I could get the gun out of the pack quickly and easily without having to take the pack off.

bosca
04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I did on my first trip as well but I had the compression straps through the loops on the side that actually are used to compress the scabbard when not in use. Once I took the straps out of these loops I didn't find it to bad. And yes the Gunbearer system works well for some and just like everything some hate them. I personally just like the protection my $4500 rifle gets in the Eberlestock over any other system.I believe the loops are meant to compress your bag when it is fully loaded. If you don't compress the pack that load flops around like the hump on a camel...which can be dangerous in extremely tough terrain.I just accept the fact that the rifle will take a few extra seconds to access until I can set up my base camp and and get the pack into daypack mode....that is when the rifle access is most reliable.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I believe the loops are meant to compress your bag when it is fully loaded. If you don't compress the pack that load flops around like the hump on a camel...which can be dangerous in extremely tough terrain.I just accept the fact that the rifle will take a few extra seconds to access until I can set up my base camp and and get the pack into daypack mode....that is when the rifle access is most reliable.

x2 your exactly right

RiverOtter
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
-Definately elec tape the muzzle, with extra wrapped around the barrel for replacement.
-Rem-Oil clothes, I believe I seen them in individual packets like alcohol wipes. Rem-Oil is the best stuff for bolts/actions and can be applied with a small stick in a pinch, as extra weight is usually avoided on longer mountain hunts.
-Butler Creek "flip-ups" for your scope. At $12 per end, they are an invaluable addition; all my scopes wear 'em.
-Also, I recently found a water proof gun sock, that can be shot through in a pinch, which I thought would be usefull in fowl weather, and or to keep dirt/debris off when boondocking through brush.

Just ordered a Kifaru gunbearer, as I'm in the same boat of wanting to free up hands, while still having easy access to my gun. Will post my thoughts once it arrives, but I'm thinking it's gonna be a winner, as I'm sick and tired of slinging rifles with packs on and refuse to bolt a rifle to the side of a pack.

slim
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
as far as packing a rifle goes i just bought a Gunslinger by New Frontier Products . havent had a chance to use it yet but check it out its kind of cool. I bought 2 complete sets for me and my brother in law and it was just over 100 bucks delivered. The only problem was that they were supposed to send one to me and one to my brother in law, but only mine got delivered. One 5 minute phone call got another one shipped out with no hassle or problems or extra fees. they were very good to deal with.

fyffer
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Finger condoms. Best thing every. shoots right through it